The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » John RIggs on the Hull Card (Masterpieces of Mentalism) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'm sitting in a New York coffee shop talking with a couple of mentalists. (That sounds spiffy, huh? It was.) I tell them I'm getting increasingly interested in Q and A routines and ask for some recommendations.

Sebastian Black looks at me and pulls out his version of the Hull Card. He tells me he loves this routine so much that he's set everything else aside. He talks with such enthusiasm about this teaching from John Riggs that I pretty much have to buy it.

A few weeks later I am sitting in the Sanctum Sanctorum (okay...my den) watching Riggs talk about the Hull Card.

I'll be honest -- I'd never heard of the Hull Card until SB showed me his...and even then I didn't have a very good idea what I was looking at. (Yeah...yeah...I know...but there's a LOT of STUFF out there, okay?)

But I digress (again). I am watching John Riggs teach me about this Hull Card thing. He discusses the layout of the card. He talks about how to get the pe*k. "Hmmm," I think to myself. "He's sharing the good stuff."

Then he shows me the Bumpershoot move. (I'd never heard of the Bumpershoot move either. I thought it was maybe what a redneck did to a pinball machine when the last ball rolls between his flippers.) And I find myself sitting there in the dark saying to myself "Oh....my....God."

It's brilliant -- one of those little gems you instantly KNOW you will use...a thing so clean and perfect! THE thing, actually. It's bold and efficient and...well...brilliant. And it makes the whole routine sing.

There's a live performance. And there's the same performance with a commentary. There's an explanation on the other props you need and information on where to get them. There are Acrobat files for designing your own card. There's the original Volta Hull routine...and much more.

Here's my point: I knew next to nothing about the mechanics of a Q&A routine. But after watching this DVD I know I have been taught by a master.

The production values aren't all that high. The performance video was shot in a low light -- and tends to be muddy in places. (It's not that you can't clearly know what's going on -- but HD it's not.) The points are clearly made. You get close-ups when you need them and Riggs is an outstanding communicator.

The DVD has nearly two hours of teaching, graphics and background information. This is an outstanding package which has put me much closer to a routine I've wanted to do for a very long time.

It's not cheap...but you get much, much MUCH more than you pay for.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
David,
I agree 100% with your assessment of John Riggs's Hull Card DVD. Having read Hull early in my mentalism career, I tried his method and it was OK, but not great. John's improvements, with full credit to Charles (Ciccardi) Scott, brings Hull's method to the "great" area. I have been using Psi Grafico ( also by Dr. Scott...he is an MD...no, no, not multi dimensional...medical doctor...sheeeesh!) for over 20 years, but am going to switch to the Hull card very soon, thanks to Mr. Riggs.

Lee Earle came out with a version called Sun Signs back in the early '90s ( maybe it was the late 80s), which is worth a read if you can get a hold of one.

I recommend John Riggs's DVD most highly.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
It's actually the "Bumbershoot Move". A "bumbershoot" is an umbrella — the world originally comes from alterations of "umbrella" and "(para)chute".

So it's a clever term for an "umbrella move".
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I stand corrected. Thank you, ddyment.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I have my own card based on Sun Signs. For those of you familiar with both versions, is there a big enough difference (i.e. $125) to buy this also?
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Hard to say, Joe. There are a few things added about card construction, the way to get the peek and opening the card that are very, very helpful, at least to me. The basic idea is the same. is it worth $125 for those tips? Well I took a gamble and it was to me well worth it. I intend to replaced PsiGrafico with this after 20 some years of using PG.

Since you are already using sun signs, it may not be worth it to you, although the card and read are altered As is the disposal of the card. Hmmm...Let me PM you.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2012, Tony Razzano wrote:
Hard to say, Joe. There are a few things added about card construction, the way to get the peek and opening the card that are very, very helpful, at least to me. The basic idea is the same. is it worth $125 for those tips? Well I took a gamble and it was to me well worth it. I intend to replaced PsiGrafico with this after 20 some years of using PG.

Since you are already using sun signs, it may not be worth it to you, although the card and read are altered As is the disposal of the card. Hmmm...Let me PM you.

Tony,

You don't accept PM's so I'm bringing this thread back to life in the hopes that you will answer a question for me. I am working up my first 45 minute act and I'm including Psi-Graphico because handwriting analysis fits in with my "news reporter" persona. I'm curious to know why you decided to drop PG after using it extensively for 20 years. Please PM me if you don't want to respond in this thread.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
What's a hull card?
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Something akin to this:

Click here to view attached image.
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2012, ddyment wrote:
It's actually the "Bumbershoot Move". A "bumbershoot" is an umbrella — the world originally comes from alterations of "umbrella" and "(para)chute".

So it's a clever term for an "umbrella move".

I have a portmanteau full of clever terms like this.
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2012, Tony Razzano wrote:
I have been using Psi Grafico ( also by Dr. Scott...he is an MD...no, no, not multi dimensional...medical doctor...sheeeesh!) for over 20 years, but am going to switch to the Hull card very soon, thanks to Mr. Riggs.

Tony (and others considering this switch) --

I had the good fortune to speak with Cicardi a while ago about both Psi Grafico and the Hull Card, and he was quite adamant that Psi Grafico was never intended to be used for Q&A. Yes, he conceded, it could be used for that, but its best application was in the way he originally used it, which is why he recommends his version of the Hull Card for Q&A performances.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, B. Morrison wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2012, Tony Razzano wrote:
I have been using Psi Grafico ( also by Dr. Scott...he is an MD...no, no, not multi dimensional...medical doctor...sheeeesh!) for over 20 years, but am going to switch to the Hull card very soon, thanks to Mr. Riggs.

Tony (and others considering this switch) --

I had the good fortune to speak with Cicardi a while ago about both Psi Grafico and the Hull Card, and he was quite adamant that Psi Grafico was never intended to be used for Q&A. Yes, he conceded, it could be used for that, but its best application was in the way he originally used it, which is why he recommends his version of the Hull Card for Q&A performances.

I intend to use PG primarily as a handwriting analysis routine and "mini Q&A" which I believe is how Dr. Scott originally intended it, although he actually downplays the handwriting part.
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
SeattleSteve, if you don't have it, you might want to pick up The Cicardi Project at MevProShop. It has a lot of good insights and examples of Dr Scott using Psi Grafico on his TV show.

http://mevproshop.com/cicardi-project-vol-one.html

Shad
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, gypsyfish wrote:
SeattleSteve, if you don't have it, you might want to pick up The Cicardi Project at MevProShop. It has a lot of good insights and examples of Dr Scott using Psi Grafico on his TV show.

http://mevproshop.com/cicardi-project-vol-one.html

Shad

Shad,

I do have that DVD set and you are right that really helps on PG. I highly recommend it to anybody else considering doing PG. He has a great 3 envelope test routine on that DVD too.

I'm definitely going to do the PG routine ... I was just curious why Tony Razzano decided to drop it after 20 years. Did he just get tired of it or does he feel the Hull Card is "better"?
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Quote:
I was just curious why Tony Razzano decided to drop it after 20 years. Did he just get tired of it or does he feel the Hull Card is "better"?

Can't speak for Tony, but as the Hull DVD demonstrates, it's much more flexible for Q&A and lends itself to a variety of subtleties that appear to cancel out any possible explanations.

This is not to take anything away from PG -- it is perfect in every respect for the application it was intended for and just as viable today as it was when it was created.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
The Hull card is probably the most versatile Q & A method available. It can be used in conjunction with pre-show or in real time. The cards can remain untouched or handled, depending on the circumstances. It lends itself to an occasional one ahead and in conjunction with Dynamite Mentalism.

The variations are so flexible that it can be used under practically any circumstances and conditions.

There is only one other method that I use, it obtains more information and therefore makes for a very powerful presentation. But it lacks flexibility. For that reason, regardless of where I am performing, a stack of Hull cards are always in my briefcase.

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » John RIggs on the Hull Card (Masterpieces of Mentalism) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL