The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
My nephew wore skirts until he was about 10. He just felt more comfortable in a skirt and he did this from an early age. We all assumed he was gay and sure enough, when he was 18 he came out. Today he is an incredibly talented dancer with one of the major ballet companies in the world. Fortunately, he grew up in a household that supported, cherished, and loved him. Somehow I don't think he would have been so successful, adjusted and centered if he had grown up with parents who shared Acesover's philosophy. Being a parent is all about looking at your child for what they are and supporting and nurturing the person that they are. If that means they like to wear skirts, so be it. Preventing cross dressing in school is only going to do one thing: make the child believe there is something wrong with them. How, in anyone's view, that is a good thing is beyond my comprehension.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I have no doubt that someday people will look back at our time as a time of incredible close mindedness filled with hate and fear of anything out of the norm, just as we look on the dark ages. The notion that a person is not free to pursue their own happiness because of social norms will be looked on as inconceivable as we think of the holocaust today. Personally the philosophy and kind of thinking espoused by (some in this thread - I won't name names) makes me sick to my stomach and sad that we still live in such an unenlightened backwards time.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 07:08, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 02:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
... while there's no perfect solution tom gang violence, giving them guns and paying them seems, to me...

Which can work as long as the population of semi-domesticated bandits is kept small and there's plenty of money to pay them or enough wars to keep them distracted elsewhere - see fall of Rome.

Does that mean we won't have to endure any more commercials about the military being all about winning hearts and minds, and helping little old Afghan women across the street? Or can we finally admit, that our number one priority is to kill as efficiently and brutally as possible, even at the cost of our youth, and that the military is about that and nothing else.

Hail Sparta! And don't forget the parade for the heroes, the few, the proud, the Crips, the Bloods.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
Does that mean we won't have to endure any more commercials about the military being all about winning hearts and minds, and helping little old Afghan women across the street? Or can we finally admit, that our number one priority is to kill as efficiently and brutally as possible, even at the cost of our youth, and that the military is about that and nothing else.

Maybe that's all you did when you were in the military...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Killing as efficiently as possible generally helps saves the lives of our youth.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 01:23, mastermindreader wrote:
Laurie-
Not seriously evading anything. The issue being discussed is not whether or not there are other things that need to be done to solve the problem of gangs (there are, and on that I agree with you), but whether or not gang colors should be permitted in schools. Some here seem to be taking the position that if you cannot solve ALL gang identification problems, it is "idiotic" (as Glen puts it) to ban gang attire. I disagree.

Not at all what I am suggesting. What I'm saying is focusing on futile policies that in no way ACTIALLT address the issues is what is idiotic.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 10:16, Slide wrote:
My nephew wore skirts until he was about 10. He just felt more comfortable in a skirt and he did this from an early age. We all assumed he was gay and sure enough, when he was 18 he came out. Today he is an incredibly talented dancer with one of the major ballet companies in the world. Fortunately, he grew up in a household that supported, cherished, and loved him. Somehow I don't think he would have been so successful, adjusted and centered if he had grown up with parents who shared Acesover's philosophy. Being a parent is all about looking at your child for what they are and supporting and nurturing the person that they are. If that means they like to wear skirts, so be it. Preventing cross dressing in school is only going to do one thing: make the child believe there is something wrong with them. How, in anyone's view, that is a good thing is beyond my comprehension.

:thumbsup:

Forcing children to repress who they are, and institutionalizing such mentality in schools, is VERY unhealthy, and certainly not conducive to encouraging growth and education. Then again, when was the last time schools really were conducive to encouraging growth and education?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
"Colours don't pull triggers, people do."

Lol, brilliant, so long as we don't infer the wrong thing into "colours."

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 12:26, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Laurie-
Not seriously evading anything. The issue being discussed is not whether or not there are other things that need to be done to solve the problem of gangs (there are, and on that I agree with you), but whether or not gang colors should be permitted in schools. Some here seem to be taking the position that if you cannot solve ALL gang identification problems, it is "idiotic" (as Glen puts it) to ban gang attire. I disagree.

Not at all what I am suggesting. What I'm saying is focusing on futile policies that in no way ACTIALLT address the issues is what is idiotic.

No one suggested an either/or solution. Many things are necessary to combat the problem of gangs.

And since someone brought up the topic of "tone" earlier, I wonder why you get a pass when you refer to other peoples suggestions as "idiotic?"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 02:33, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-14 21:49, magicalaurie wrote:
I understood that point, Lobo. If you'll look back, you'll see Bob was mistaken in stating gdw was "obviously unaware". I'm supposed to agree with him when he was mistaken and has himself stated he missed at least one relevant post? And if I disagree I shouldn't refer to his tone because that would express a bias on my part? B******t! is obscuring the topic here, I think.

If you understood my point, you'd realize that it doesn't have to do referring to the tone of a post one disagrees with, but rather with failing to refer to the questionable tone in posts that one agrees with.

If you understood my point, you'd realize I didn't mention Bob's tone because I didn't like it- but because it did ridicule and Bob said no ridicule was intended. For the record I think calling something "idiotic" might be a questionable use of tone but then gdw didn't follow with "no ridicule intended", did he?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Wow. Just received a profanity ridden rant in a private message from acesover. It confirmed everything I already knew. I reported it to the moderators.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Slide,

Profanity ridden? Here is my PM to you. It was a PM because I said I would not post here on this topic any more. But when you out and out lied I had too.

Here is the post. First part is from your post. Mine bgins with: You know what they say about opinions.

-----------------------------------------------

I have no doubt that someday people will look back at our time as a time of incredible close mindedness filled with hate and fear of anything out of the norm, just as we look on the dark ages. The notion that a person is not free to pursue their own happiness because of social norms will be looked on as inconceivable as we think of the holocaust today. Personally the philosophy and kind of thinking espoused by (some in this thread - I won't name names) makes me sick to my stomach and sad that we still live in such an unenlightened backwards time.

You know what they say about opinions. If you don't let me enlighten you. They are like Aholes everyone has one. That is yours and you are entitled to it.

I suppose that if you enjoy taking illegal drugs you should do so because in the future people will look back and see how close minded we were to feel that it was a bad thing. Just like I am sure everyone will look back and say what was the big deal about abortion? So we do as we please and correct it tomorrow with a pill or scapel. But you probably feel that abortion is OK now so thatis falling on deaf ears.

So as long as you have no doubt it is OK. Because you rule. OMG. What a pompus *** you are. Its your freaking opinion so maybe just maybe you may be wrong.

Where is this profanity ridden as you said?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am curious as to how many here have first hand experience with gangs. Since my question was evaded the first time, perhaps since I addressed it to GDW I pose to to all.

Gangs are not easy to pontificate about. The BEST gang intervention officers are often those who came up through the gangs. For many reasons. I am not saying an opinion is not valid if you havn't been in a gang. However I am saying that if you have NO actual hands on experience as to what it means to know which colors to wear or die then the opinion might not be as informed as you might think.

You may not believe it but gangs vary by region tremendously. Inner city gangs join based mostly on location. Smaller cities not so much. In prison it is more by race than anything. Many here are showing a tremendous lack of understanding of actual gang life and the reasons they exist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Wow, I guess words like ahole and *** are not profanity to you. !

BTW: yes I believe in a Woman's right to choose.
and yes I believe certain drugs like Marajuana should be legalized.

and how am I a liar? your post was profanity ridden. But perhaps that is the way you talk from where ever you are from. In my town it is considered profanity. and obviously since the Café censored your post, they think so as well.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope that wasn't directed to me LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Harking back to the origin of the topic.
I did some work at a few schools,primary,junior and secondary,last summer.
I was there when the school was closed for the holidays,but still had to follow the
site health and safety rules.
This involved the usual pontificating irrelevent bumf,with one exception.No shorts
were to be worn by male contractors on site.
I made the probably well worn angry retort,that if I were to wear a skirt and claim to be
a transvestite,I'd be allowed to.
The answer was in the affirmitive.
It's the little double standards,that are enforced by the right-on brigade,that grate with me.
Not anything else to do with it,just the duplicity.
I also tend to find,the sort of person that sets these ridiculous guidlines,tend to gravitate to working for the
local council and government sponsored bodies.
Just a bunch of hand wringing w@nXers!!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Luckily, I've never been in a gang.
Unfortunately, I have had some unpleasant dealings with gang members. I don't recommend it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
No Danny,

Read higher.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 13:00, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 12:26, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Laurie-

No one suggested an either/or solution. Many things are necessary to combat the problem of gangs.

And since someone brought up the topic of "tone" earlier, I wonder why you get a pass when you refer to other peoples suggestions as "idiotic?"

Who said I get a pass? I don't think I was the one complaining about tone. Also, again, don't think I was ever referring to anyone's (here) suggestion, but the actual policies, and the problem of focusing on the wrong thing, effectively ignoring the actual problems, and how they can actually be addressed.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:15, Slide wrote:
Wow, I guess words like ahole and *** are not profanity to you. !

BTW: yes I believe in a Woman's right to choose.
and yes I believe certain drugs like Marajuana should be legalized.

and how am I a liar? your post was profanity ridden. But perhaps that is the way you talk from where ever you are from. In my town it is considered profanity. and obviously since the Café censored your post, they think so as well.

Hee, hee people will look back to thesetimes and say that *** and Ahole were cnsidered profanity. Just as we look back on the dark ages. Do you see how ludicrious your point was?

Do you really consider *** profanity, or ahole?

Where you come from they consider that profanity, but they condone abortion, smoking pot, gangs wearing their colors to school and kids crossdressing at school. That is some town you live in. Just saying... Or is it as I said? Your opinion and we all know about opinions. Smile

By the way I cantype *'s myself and do not need the Café to do it for me. look********************* wow talk about profanity

BTW if yoiu go back and read the posts here you will find *'s #'s etc. And theyare not my posts. In fact youi will find a lot of those lol etc that are often posted here. I guess anyone who does that is beneath you. Give me a break.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL