The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am curious as to how many here have first hand experience with gangs. Since my question was evaded the first time, perhaps since I addressed it to GDW I pose to to all.

Gangs are not easy to pontificate about. The BEST gang intervention officers are often those who came up through the gangs. For many reasons. I am not saying an opinion is not valid if you havn't been in a gang. However I am saying that if you have NO actual hands on experience as to what it means to know which colors to wear or die then the opinion might not be as informed as you might think.

You may not believe it but gangs vary by region tremendously. Inner city gangs join based mostly on location. Smaller cities not so much. In prison it is more by race than anything. Many here are showing a tremendous lack of understanding of actual gang life and the reasons they exist.

I'm sorry for not noticing your initial question directed at me.
I don't really see how whether or not I have first hand knowledge of gang life and/or living with gangs is required for my opinion on policies meant to address gang behavior in school to have validity.
That being said, though I do not have much firsthand experience, I do have some knowledge on the issues at hand.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glen-

I think that Laurie doesn't know that we speak (figuratively) like this to each other all of the time and neither one of us (I think) is particularly upset or offended about it. If I didn't enjoy arguing with you I wouldn't bother.

Best-

Bob
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:18, mastermindreader wrote:
Glen-

I think that Laurie doesn't know that we speak (figuratively) like this to each other all of the time and neither one of us (I think) is particularly upset or offended about it. If I didn't enjoy arguing with you I wouldn't bother.

Best-

Bob

:thumbsup:

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Why does that smiley face have a p... oh, wait, it's just an arm. Okay, we're good.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IMMO two of the basic questions are:

1) What sort of answers are appropriate to give when asked about such a costume - remember social roles and costumes are cultural and cross dressing is about costume.

2) What sort of boundaries are suitable to impose on students as regards their own clothes at school?

I believe I addressed the gang colors and politics of costume in other posts and don't see that as too helpful to bring into this post.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
...IMMO...

"Ivan Makes Monkeys of Orangutans."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:34, critter wrote:
Quote:
...IMMO...

Lovely distraction - got another?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
Glen-

Best-

Bob

Hey Bob, I was just pointing out where my interpretation of ridicule in your post came from. It was a simple point, that Lobo proceeded to magnify and I've attempted to clarify. I don't expect either you or gdw have your feathers particularly ruffled on this. My sister and I often engage in as, Siegfried would put it, "good discussions", and folks have got their fingers on the keypad ready to dial 911 with Tracey and I giving each other a bewildered "What is their problem?" look. I get it.
Apologies if I misinterpreted your "tone". If I was a Café tone police person in the first place would I keep saying B******t!? Y'all have misunderstood me on this, as well, yourselves, I think, FWIW.
:)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:36, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...IMMO...

"Irene Munches Many Olives."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:51, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:36, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...IMMO...

"Irene Munches Many Olives."

OMG. I know Irene "the olive muncher" and her brother Ivan.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
No way! You from Lemhi County?
~Will Rogers
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Jon, regarding those two basic questions, I think teachers need to get together with parents, maybe with students present would be a good idea, and these discussions should be had, information gathered, and processed. Proceeding from there with serious consideration. I've addressed these questions- they go deeper than the costume, the human equations need calculating.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Lauie, in all fairness one does not calculate human values - it's not a mixture problem.
Social roles are just that - stereotypes with costumes and fashion and mannerisms.
IMHO that's not such a great thing to bring into a classroom for all ages for obvious historical, political and religious reasons.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Laurie-

All is cool and I think it's a good thing that once in a while we get called on the way we speak to each other.

Good thoughts,

Bob
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:45, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
Glen-

Best-

Bob

Hey Bob, I was just pointing out where my interpretation of ridicule in your post came from. It was a simple point, that Lobo proceeded to magnify and I've attempted to clarify. I don't expect either you or gdw have your feathers particularly ruffled on this. My sister and I often engage in as, Siegfried would put it, "good discussions", and folks have got their fingers on the keypad ready to dial 911 with Tracey and I giving each other a bewildered "What is their problem?" look. I get it.
Apologies if I misinterpreted your "tone". If I was a Café tone police person in the first place would I keep saying B******t!? Y'all have misunderstood me on this, as well, yourselves, I think, FWIW.
:)

I wasn't trying to distort (or magnify) your point; I was trying to make a separate-but-related point of my own.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Who likes BANANAS?

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Monkeys.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:16, gdw wrote:
Quote:
I am curious as to how many here have first hand experience with gangs. Since my question was evaded the first time, perhaps since I addressed it to GDW I pose to to all.

Gangs are not easy to pontificate about. The BEST gang intervention officers are often those who came up through the gangs. For many reasons. I am not saying an opinion is not valid if you havn't been in a gang. However I am saying that if you have NO actual hands on experience as to what it means to know which colors to wear or die then the opinion might not be as informed as you might think.

You may not believe it but gangs vary by region tremendously. Inner city gangs join based mostly on location. Smaller cities not so much. In prison it is more by race than anything. Many here are showing a tremendous lack of understanding of actual gang life and the reasons they exist.

I'm sorry for not noticing your initial question directed at me.
I don't really see how whether or not I have first hand knowledge of gang life and/or living with gangs is required for my opinion on policies meant to address gang behavior in school to have validity.
That being said, though I do not have much firsthand experience, I do have some knowledge on the issues at hand.

You SERIOUSLY don't see why not having first hand knowledge of gang life and what drives people to it might be relevant? I know you enjoy pontification as do many here, but my friend life is what happens while you are busy "googling" it. You can not put forth solutions unless you know what is causing the problems in the first place.

Thank you for proving my point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 18:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Lauie, in all fairness one does not calculate human values - it's not a mixture problem...

Fair enough. I retract the term, Jon.

What would you recommend, Danny? You're not the first here to suggest gangs aren't easy to pin down.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

Some...not extensive, by any means. I (substitue) taught in a Gang-heavy district for a year, I've also lived with an LAPD cop and done a fair bit of pro-bono work in gang areas. I don't spend too much time out and about in those neighborhoods, but I know who's where, for the most part, in So. Cal.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL