The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 20:00, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 17:16, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 16:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am curious as to how many here have first hand experience with gangs. Since my question was evaded the first time, perhaps since I addressed it to GDW I pose to to all.

Gangs are not easy to pontificate about. The BEST gang intervention officers are often those who came up through the gangs. For many reasons. I am not saying an opinion is not valid if you havn't been in a gang. However I am saying that if you have NO actual hands on experience as to what it means to know which colors to wear or die then the opinion might not be as informed as you might think.

You may not believe it but gangs vary by region tremendously. Inner city gangs join based mostly on location. Smaller cities not so much. In prison it is more by race than anything. Many here are showing a tremendous lack of understanding of actual gang life and the reasons they exist.

I'm sorry for not noticing your initial question directed at me.
I don't really see how whether or not I have first hand knowledge of gang life and/or living with gangs is required for my opinion on policies meant to address gang behavior in school to have validity.
That being said, though I do not have much firsthand experience, I do have some knowledge on the issues at hand.

You SERIOUSLY don't see why not having first hand knowledge of gang life and what drives people to it might be relevant? I know you enjoy pontification as do many here, but my friend life is what happens while you are busy "googling" it. You can not put forth solutions unless you know what is causing the problems in the first place.

Thank you for proving my point.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant, just that having direct firsthand knowledge was not a prerequisite for a valid opinion.
As I said, I DO have some knowledge on the subject, however I myself have never been in a gang, nor lived in an environment where I had to deal with them directly. I have, however, had a close friend involved with gangs, as well as other exposure through my father.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 19:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Monkeys.

Well I certainly don't. They make me sick. Though I do like monkeys, although they in fact also make me sick.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 20:09, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 18:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Lauie, in all fairness one does not calculate human values - it's not a mixture problem...

Fair enough. I retract the term, Jon.

What would you recommend, Danny? You're not the first here to suggest gangs aren't easy to pin down.

What I am saying is that unless you have been involved, opinions that are strong and all encompasing may not be so right.

See at the heart of it which EVERYONE seems to have missed is that "gangs" are just PEOPLE! Many of those are in a situation that is simply out of their control. Many of those PEOPLE are kids! 12 year olds who hang onto the drugs for the gang because even if they are caught, the sentence is almost nothing. They do this not because they are criminal, but just want to survive.

As I said if you have no real world experience with this sort of thing having (as GDW puts it) a "valid opinion" is not that easy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 20:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
...See at the heart of it which EVERYONE seems to have missed is that "gangs" are just PEOPLE!...

I think you've missed a lot of posts in this thread, Danny. And I heard what you said rather early on...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 20:57, Dannydoyle wrote:...which EVERYONE seems to have missed is that "gangs" are just PEOPLE!...

That, along with the bandits notion was already posited under in fast food, brand name, house of worship, regional clothes discussion.

continue please.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
So, whats the conclusion?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Somewhat along the same lines as the original story is this story that went viral here in Happy Valley recently.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-......28.story

Some of you should get a laugh out of this.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just another example of the insidious spread of Sharia law.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2912 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 00:27, kambiz wrote:
So, whats the conclusion?

Kam

Blaming someone else for your insecurities instead of taking responsibility for them and addressing them directly from within is currently in keeping with the Honor Code?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 13:38, magicalaurie wrote:
rockwall's link

Thanks magicalaurie. You're totally magical!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here we go again... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL