The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare ends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I've seen several ways magician's use to keep the ends from coming apart. What do think is the best method?
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
188 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi Dynamike

Without a doubt the best method in my opinion is PVA wood glue. It dries clear and the ends look natural. The rope will wear out before the ends fray!!!

Scott
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Scott,

Do the ends stay hard or soft when the glue dries?
RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
Tuck the frayed ends down into the center core of the rope. I find using a pencil is ideal for this. Done properly, your rope will last a very long time.
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
188 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi Dynamike

The ends of the rope are hard at the end if you use PVA glue...although I doubt that this presents a problem. Rubber cement (Copydex) will allow the ends to remain soft but the glue attracts the dirt. Just don't go overboard with the PVA glue and just put the smallest amount on the ends and you will be just fine.

Regards
Scott
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Rich, that is what I have been doing for years. But I dislike resetting them after some spectators pull out the ends to make sure nothing is tricky about them.

Scott, do any of the spectators feel an uncomfortness when examing the ropes?

Thanks Guys.
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
188 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi Mike

I guess it is all down to what you say when you hand the ropes out for examination...I have never had anyone question the glued ends of the rope when performing Profs Nightmare in close-up.

If you say, "Make sure the rope is ordinary" when handing out the rope, they will examine the rope and look for flaws and may draw attention to the ends, whereas if you hand each rope to a spectator and say, "Tug on the rope and make sure that it does not stretch or shrink," they are looking for something completely different. It is simply a loaded question.

I am sure that this type of thinking applies to all magic and indeed changing just one or two words in your patter can be the difference between success or failure of a routine.

Perhaps some people here do not agree?

All the best
Scott Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Or say nothing and just hand the ropes to the spectator to look at.

Just about everyone in the world has cut a rope and seen the ends fray so it would not be unusual for you to take some measure to prevent that.

Or to put it another way...don't run if you are not being chased.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If it's cutting rope, I cut the ends clean/even before starting.

If it's a PN or a set that is used for only one effect I tape the ends very tightly with black electrical tape. Most everyone here will disagree with this, but that's what I have done for quite a while. The ropes will get dirty and thrown out if you use them quite a bit, so why waste the time with glue or special prep.

IMHO it makes stretches like the PN look much stronger to the specs because the ends become very prominent, but most here would disagree.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I fix the ends first by removing the core of the rope, if there is a core. I then fold the end lengthwise so that it mostly fits in the jaws of some tweezers. Using the tweezers, I then push the end inside the rope, about half an inch. I then squirt some white school glue inside the rope end. If I have more time to tend to it and I'm using machine washable rope, I'll run a needle and thread through about a 1/4" from the end of the rope and tie the thread.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I too treat the ends by tucking them inside and adding a little bit of glue. I use Daryl's line (from his Great White Rope video) when I hand the rope out for examination. The line goes, "You may notice that the ends of the rope have been dipped in glue and the glue had dried hard. I do this for the same reason we all have feet...our feet prevent our legs from fraying out at the ends."

The line usually gets a chuckle and lets the audience know why the ends seem a bit strange. I think it works terrific!

Ron
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-10-04 05:07, Alan Munro wrote:
I'll run a needle and thread through about a 1/4" from the end of the rope and tie the thread.

Thank you. That may be the best way to take care of it. It was in front of my face all the time but I didn't see it. I will work on threading it.

Another idea is to set the ends like "Stiff Rope's."
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
You could also burn the ends of the rope. Just be careful when you do it.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I also use black electrical tape which gives the rope ends a finished look. And at somepoint early in the routine, I explain that I use the tape to keep the ropes from fraying, and I do the old "a frayed not" joke.

Things like that give me a chance to recycle my libray of groaners (stupid old jokes that elicit a groan).

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Quote:
On 2003-11-08 04:44, Bradley Morgan wrote:
You could also burn the ends of the rope. Just be careful when you do it.

Brad

Works well for nylon rope, but if you using cotton rope - which is most likely, you will have blackened, burnt rope.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like all of your posts. Thank you for your time and ideas.
magic_jim
View Profile
New user
Michigan
16 Posts

Profile of magic_jim
The best thing I found to put on the ends of my rope is just plain ol' Scotch tape....
We are the illusion ... The Magic, Now thats the real stuff~~~Unknown
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I go with gluing the ends on white ropes and burn the ends (If nylon) on other colors.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use Elmer's glue and it works fine.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Elmers Glue—purchased almost anywhere
Modge Podge—any craft store
Fabritack—JoAnn's Fabric
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare ends (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.71 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL