The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare ends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20521 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since I cut my pieces on stage during the act and give the ropes away to the volunteers, I simply don't have the problem. It is just one less thing to do.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Me too, If I am cutting ropes on stage I don't bother. I just make sure my rope has clean cut ends before I go on.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Don't go too crazy with exotic glues.
Simple Elmers glue works fine.
You won't be able to wash the rope but I just make new ones.
Daniel Faith
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Daniels used the frayed ends to his advantage when he performed this at ABBOTT'S some years back. The Tossel type ends were very attractive on stage. I think it was a nylon type rope. The ends were frayed for at least 3".

Have fun experimenting.
Bill
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of academy
I suggest Elmers glue or electrical tape matching the color of the rope. In some routines they help to feel simply by touch when you reach the end of a rope.

Sincerely
Academy
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Len Reid gave me some pointers on my routine and then showed me his with ropes he's used for 6 years!

He used a polynylon that looked like cotton and wrapped white thread around the ends and had a dab of superglue. You couldn't tell anything unless it was an inch from your nose.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I like wrapping the ends of magician's rope in black thread leaving a half inch of rope to fray into a tassel look. There is an old Boy Scout method for starting with a loop of thread and winding the rest around for about an inch then putting the end through the loop and pulling it under the wrapping. It looks very finished and has lasted for years. The ropes get dirty before the thread comes off, but it can be secured with super glue if you like.

Nylon rope can easily be melted with a lighter as mentioned above, but be careful because melted nylon is very HOT and sticks if touched before it cools! Or you could cut a fresh set-up every time you do the Slydini rope trick.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I use the nylon rope and use a coiled "hotplate" to melt the ends. I found that no matter how careful I was with an open flame, the rope ends still got a brown tinge to them. Using the coil, my ends melt very nicely and stay the same color. Do this outside, the smell is not so good.

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Hello

I have found that clear packing tape works real well on the ends of ropes. In some cases, depending on how tight you wrap the tape you can if you wish give a shoelace-type appearance.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Tuck the rope ends into the center and glue in position
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why let the spectators examine the ropes in the first place? It slows down your act and, IMHO, adds nothing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cheers, Bill! But you know by now they will not take your excellent advice.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Pavel glues the end of his ropes with some type of epoxy or universal glue, then cuts it with some type of knife or saw. I just received some rope from him where he treated the ends, and they look perfect.

I'd sure like to find out how he does it; I bought his DVDs to learn, but he really just touches on his treatment.

Ron
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
I use either white glue or whipping to take care of the ends of the ropes. Both are good.

Supreme used pieces of tape to fix the ends. It had the advantage of making the ends of the ropes show up well from the stage.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I have used all of these methods at one time or another. I think that using a contrasting color on my Prof Nightmare helps the audience keep track of the ends(?). I am currently using red electrical tape on white nylon ropes. I also melted the ends to help them last.

I don't realy hand the ropes out per say. I do drape the long rope around a volunteer's neck for a portion of the routine. Not to choke him, just to hang it up for a minute.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
One method that I don't think has been mentioned yet, is to briefly dip the cleanly cut ends in melted wax and then let them dry. Only a little bit is needed. Although the ends of the ropes go hard, you can use this to your advantage by using them to whip hecklers! Smile
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Hey,

Rope isn't that expensive. I personally just cut my own rope once the ends wear. I mean rope is only like 15 bucks for 50 feet or so...Plus it looks better without all the glue, tape, etc. Hope this helps.

trulymagic
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I start with a six-foot piece of rope, do a cut and restored rotuine and then cut the rope in three "equal parts". I change the ropes to unequal, back to equal and then to unequal. I use various reason and always get a good response. At the end I toss the three unequal ropes to different audience members. Since I always use a fresh piece of rope there is no need to prepare the ends.
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
I take a small hunk of rope, separate out one thread, use it to tie off the ends about a quarter inch from the ends and let that part fray. It won't go past the tied thread and it gives the rope a more natural look.
The weaver of Illusions
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I use anti-fray liquids sold in sewing stores, I think one is called "Fray No More" or something like that.

As for examination, I disagree, Bill. I love to get the kids involved, tugging and pulling. And it's in THEIR hands when I return the ropes to three different sizes. Heck, I don't want to zip through the trick for fear of slowing down the show, I want to ENTERTAIN 'em! Besides, I believe that most people will simply write it off to elastic or some other weak explanation unless we allow someone to look at them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare ends (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL