The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Orient Express by JB Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Here is another offering by JB Magic. Mark first released a few sets of coins in 2011 and are selling them again at Blackpool this year.
Did anyone try out a set (they were very limited numbers) the first time around?

Orient Express By Mark Mason
One of my favourite professional routines.

This is my handling for copper/silver brass, using NO COPPER, NO SILVER, JUST BRASS.
Orient Express uses 3 different coloured Chinese coins. The transpositions and exchanges are TWICE as strong and visual as the colours change places and not the coins.

This is easy, direct magic that's perfect for any audience. With Mark's handling its so simple to remember which coin is where, as they follow the colours and not the coins.

Comes complete with
1 x Full training DVD,
1 X Red Chinese Coin.
1 x Blue Chinese Coin.
1 x Black Chinese Coin.
1 x Expanded Chinese Black reversible Shell.
1 x Red/Blue copper/silver Chinese Coins.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This looms really pretty and is easy to follow due to the various colors. It's a really nice routine.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yes I have this set
very nicely made.and
easy to follow trick.
todd
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I like the sound of it being "easy to follow". I so often find with this kind of thing that I have no idea what should be where so no wonder the spectators eyes look glazed.....
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Do you really like going to the pockets so many times in a CSB routine?
"There is no reality, only perception."
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Best csb out there in my opinion. Of all the csb sets I have, it's the only one I do. Because of colors, you can do moves you can't with regular sets.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Can anybody post a link to a video of this routine?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Don't think there is one. Has never been advertised on his site. I bought it two years ago. Talked to Mark for a good half hour at magi fest this year and told him this was the best coin trick he ever put out. I asked why he's never advertised it and he said it's because he cant get the coins anymore. So buy it while you can.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 17:35, jugglestruck wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoOxYqpK......a_player
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Does Mark give any reason why the coins can't be made, just like you would other Chinese coins?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Said one guy makes them and he cant make anywhere near enough to meet demand, The guy that makes them is a big name but not one associated with coin magic. So not sure why one of the big name coin guys cant make them. Nothing complicated.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I bet the coins are great, but I think the traditional C/S/B is a better trick. 3 very different, distinct coins are in play.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
The benefit here is that it is easier for spectators to follow. Everyone can instantly recognize colors. No one has ever seen an east african dime or english penny.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I find people are fascinated by the East African and Peruvian coin and these days, the Kennedy half dollar has them interested as they are no longer common.

Just my personal preference. Some folks LOVE 2 copper, one silver even though I think think the addition of the coin with the whole in it elevated the trick, they don't agree.

Fun to talk about.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This can be purchased at seo magic
for 108 bucks.theres also a video
of mark performing this.
its where I bought mine months ago.
todd
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks for the source.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I have just watched the video and a thought occurred to me...would a spectator actually care about the effect? To me, this kind of routine is very clever but I know if I was watching someone do it I would very quickly mentally switch off and be relieved when it was over.
I hasten to add this is obviously a very personal opinion, I find repetitive magic slightly tedious and because of this presume others do too and don't include it in my sets. It is apparent from the posts above that there are many happy owners of this effect and I can only conclude that it is the presentational style of the individual performer that is the all important factor here.

What are your thoughts on this?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Personal preference. Either you like CSB routines or you don't. Personally, I hate coin magic. A lot of hand washing and unnatural movements in my opinion, but my biggest complaint is that it's tough to follow unless spectators are really paying attention. I love CSB because of the visual element of all the changes and the slow pace with which you can perform the moves. So again, it's up to you.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This effect like emyers said can be
worked very slow and with the different
colored chinese coins it is a very visual
effect.even children can keep up with trick.
todd
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 19:11, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-11 17:35, jugglestruck wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoOxYqpK......a_player

Love that closing line, "It appears you're not that observant after all, hey everyone?" I guess that adding "you idiot!" would be redundant.

Can't really see how this would be better than a regular CSB. All of the coins have holes in Mason's version, so you miss out on the added mystery of using two solids and one with a hole. Then there's the whole "proppy" thing, compared to a regular CSB. And how would this one be easier to understand than traditional CSB, when each version uses three different colors? You don't have to refer to the CSB coins by their currency - you could refer to them by color.

But hey, apparently this is working for some people. Glad to hear it.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Orient Express by JB Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL