The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Light Bulb Thru Girl Replacement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
We've talked about this illusion before ... this time I'm curious if anyone has found a replacement bulb that is not the traditional 40W showcase bulb with the filament. As you know they are phasing this type of bulb out of existence and eventually I'll need to find some sort of replacement. I remember seeing a video online of JC Sum using the Sommers prop with LED bulbs.

Any leads for a source for them?

Steve
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Actually they are going to continue making the showcase bulbs. They are exempt from the new ruling along with 22 other types of bulbs.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The exemption is only a temporary reprieve. Eventually they will be phased out, so you are right to make the switch sooner rather than later. However, consider the advantages of LED lights. You can make your own long tube lights by taking any clear plastic cylinder (such as the type currently used to protect flourescent tubes) and fill it with LED lights of your own choosing (for colors and special effects). This can be battery operated, so you are no longer required to be connected to the electric grid to perform with them. I think it will open up new possibilities for other illusions and stage magic. I have been playing around with stuff from here: http://www.flashingpanda.com/Item.asp?id=436

Qua-Fiki is considering using these as swords for his Cardboard Sword Box.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Years ago we built a black sword basket for Chris Carter. It was fiberglass and had a smooth shiney finish like a car. We but red leds along the four corners and you could program them to chase in different paterns. The swords we built looked a lot like the lightsabers on the websight Spellbinder mentions. They were programable also.

It looks like it would be farely easy to convert those lightsabers for the Light Bulbs Thru Lady, but for my money there's just something about those showcase bulbs that make the effect. I'm not sure what. Maybe the fact that they are fragile and could break going thru.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The bulbs have to be a very specific size to fit within the prop. Toy light sabers won't cut it. As far as the bulbs being fragile and adding the element of danger to the illusion ... well, that's not a plus at all. Yes, the bulbs can break and there is even a chance of someone getting zapped with 110 volts!

All part of the fun ...

Steve
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 23:26, Chezaday wrote:
..... there is even a chance of someone getting zapped with 110 volts!

Steve

..or even 240 volts here in the UK. - Ironically, I'm just refurbishing one for a friend!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Buy a case or two of bulbs and be prepared for life!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Prepared for life? We actually go through them on a regular basis ... the filament goes bad.

I hope to be performing for many years to come ...

Steve
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 18:53, AGMagic wrote:
Buy a case or two of bulbs and be prepared for life!

The cheapest showcase bulbs that I can find in the UK are $25 each (plus P&P)... and the usual price is nearer $55!
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
If you go to an electric supply company they can get them T-8's and T-10's.
I actually have had mine arch and got zapped before.
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The old GE Showcase Bulbs use to have about a dozen supports for the filament. The current bulbs that are manufactured in China have maybe four supports. The lack of support causes premature arching of the filament. After all the bulbs are really never meant to be used other than in a piece of furniture ... that doesn't move.

Steve
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
It would require some modification of your prop, but acrylic rods with the ends polished and a lights or LEDs behind them to light them up would look similar but I am not sure it would have the same effect as seeing actual lightbulbs passing through your assistant. I suppose the front end of the rods could be domed and polished to look more like lightbulbs.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Would an LED strip be an option? It comes in 15 feet rolls, many colors including warm white to mimic incandescents. Its only about 1/8" thick, adhesive-backed, takes anything between 6 and 12 volts and you can cut it any lenght you need in 3 LED increments, and all the strips have their own terminals so there's no waste-just solder new leads. Its a plug and play system, no need to calculate resistors. Of course its not quite the same look.
Sent from my Typewriter
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Ask Jim if he still has the box my mom sold him.
We had found some that dad used for his LBC
and he bought them. It was like a box of 15.

Just as a spare.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
AGmagic hits an important part of the illusion. Laymen know that glass bulbs do not bend. They do know about LED, rope lights and other such things that do bend. Unless you can permanently establish that the later does not bend, the illusion does not work.

Steve, I would do some goggle searches for old showcase or display companies. There is a chance that they might have some old bulbs in the back. It will take a lot of leg work but it might be worth it.

The other option that would involve a major rework is to make a poly carbonate (or something similar). Fake the inside illumination with some kind of miniature rope light that would be suspended like the filament in the tube. I am not sure that you could get enough light from that though. You may have to combine it with a light at the base (kind of like a milk in light bulb). Use a Halogen lamp.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I still think we are beating a dead horse here. According to the (EISA) of 2007 they are NEVER planning to stop the manufacturing or importing of the Showcase Bulbs.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I like what Eldon has to say!

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Light Bulb Thru Girl Replacement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL