The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Modern day Lorraines and Orbens? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Something Bill (wmhegbli) said on another thread about there being no modern day patter creators got me thinking.

Is that true? Who are our modern day Sid Lorraines and Bob Orbens? Does anyone churn out funny scripts for all to use or are most modern day writers more likely to sell to an individual?

Most comedy routines for magicians I have come across nowadays are merely collections of old gags already in existence.

I've thought about writing amusing routines for effects myself. But I think the trouble is I wouldn't want to sell an untested routine but once it was tested I wouldn't want to sell it!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2581 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think they still exist. They might not be as prolific in producing material but then again it's hard what's funny in a lot of that Orben stuff.

In a way, the reduction in the supply of these kind of magic jokes and scripts can be seen as a good thing as it makes it all the more necessary for individuals to come up with their own presentations.

But that's not to say there aren't any modern equivalents. Williamson's Rocky Raccoon routine is a good example. Then there's Mel Mellers and John Archer who have both produced a number of dvd's for general magic consumption where the material consists of not just methods for effects but more importantly, for this topic at least, presentational routines for the effects.

So I guess maybe it's here where the next generation of creators lie. They are the few that are providing the magic community with 'ready to use' material. Of course, like Orben's jokes and Lorraine's scripted routines just reciting the lines isn't going to make for an entertaining performance. If anything having a dvd means that for those that need to look to someone else to provide exactly what they say it's going to be even harder for them to find their own voice when delivering the material. It's one thing to just read the words and find a way to use them within owns own style... it's another to see them being delivered with all the nuances that the style of the the originator brings to the table and replace all that with a different style unique to the purchaser of the material.

As another example, Paul Romhany has a book called 'Extreme Magic Makeover' that is a collection of scripts for a number of established effects. I have this book. I'm hard pressed to say if it's good or not though. I personally didn't find anything in it that appealed. But I guess it's just as likely that someone else could find it gives them just what they're looking for. Anyway, I mention it just as another example that there are still some people putting out this sort of product.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Modern day Lorraines and Orbens? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL