The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
<YAWN>
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hey Critter, yep, sometimes you really don't have any options, you have to take any job you can get. I'm just glad I only had to work at the job for a short time. The fols that have to take that kind of a job are just trying to make a living. All you need need to do is say " No Thanks".
Bob.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Bob-

You worked for Kramien? He was a bit of a legend back when I was regularly touring the Northwest with the Belante show.

Best-

Bob
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 16:33, jerome96114 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 15:14, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 14:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 13:00, critter wrote:
I don't 'get back at' telemarketers because they are just trying to work and maybe feed their families.
I ask them to remove me from their call lists and any lists they share.

I've had quite a few now hang up on me when I ask to be removed, acting as if they didn't even hear my request. Not suprisingly, I still get calls from the same companies.

Don't know how it is in Canada, but we have laws against that here.
There are specific telemarketing laws that must be adhered to both Federally and within the state that the callee resides in to protect us from harrassment.
If you have such laws there you could just report those places to the proper authorities.

Well, here in germany we have laws against it; But still most companies ignore that.
How do you want to proove to a court that they actually did not only not hear your request to be removed from the list,
and that you actually requested it ?

This. More the "didn't hear you" angle. At least that seems to be the motivation behind their actions. Plausible deniability perhaps. As for the "do not call" lists, there are so many exceptions, at least here in canada, that they don't exactly do much.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, which I very well could be, one could ask not to be called, and seek compensation if ever called again, prior to do not call lists.

Personally, I just try and see how long I can keep telemarketers on the line before they hang up on me. Not to hold against those just doing their jobs, but if I'm gonna be bugged at home, I'm gonna get as much out of it as I can.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4141 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 10:51, Bob1Dog wrote:
<YAWN>

<BELCH>

:)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
<FART> Oopsie! Excuse me a minute...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Looks like somebody might need this:
~Will Rogers
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
One year I worked as the sole delivery driver for a 6-person call center. Since I was the public face of the local room, I got to hear first hand any feedback from the customers. I have to say, a well-run room with a fair manager and an honest and courteous staff can make all the difference in the world. I must have made 3000 deliveries for that room, and I can only recall fielding 3 or 4 general complaints, and not a single delivery refusal.

FYI, the whole list removal thing doesn't work with a room that's just going down a list of ordered numbers. They just start at 0001 and work their way through. It takes about 6 months for a small room to work all the way through all the local area codes, which is why you get called maybe twice a year by the same room.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The should not be a "Do Not Call List." Instead a "CALL ME LIST".

Now it is automated machines at Diner time and they know you are home having diner and it is the best time to catch you at home.

The worst are the ones are on Cell Phones, political messages, and send me money messages.

Do Not Call list expire after a year and you have to do it again.

For those who choose this type of money making opportunity, well pranks are part of the job from persons who are trying to tell the telemarketers a message they appear not to hear.

Send me a message by snail mail and make it cost them 50 cents per message. They will be more selective on who they contact, this way.

Leave my cell phone and home phone alone.

I try to help the telemarketers by asking them to give me their home number so I can give it to help other telemarketers. To date none of them have given me their numbers.

Take me of their list doesn't work. For some odd reason "no" doesn't work either.

There is a reason the government made laws to telemarketers who appear to ignore. I guess the fines are not high enough.
Dennis Michael
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hi Bob, Nope, I never really did work for Stan, Just sold tickets for the outfit that was bringing him to town. I have got to know him somewhat through his Jamborees. I hear this years Jamboree will be the last one, so I'm for sure going to be there.
Bob.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 14:51, Dennis Michael wrote:
The should not be a "Do Not Call List." Instead a "CALL ME LIST".

Now it is automated machines at Diner time and they know you are home having diner and it is the best time to catch you at home.

The worst are the ones are on Cell Phones, political messages, and send me money messages.

Do Not Call list expire after a year and you have to do it again.

For those who choose this type of money making opportunity, well pranks are part of the job from persons who are trying to tell the telemarketers a message they appear not to hear.

Send me a message by snail mail and make it cost them 50 cents per message. They will be more selective on who they contact, this way.

Leave my cell phone and home phone alone.

I try to help the telemarketers by asking them to give me their home number so I can give it to help other telemarketers. To date none of them have given me their numbers.

Take me of their list doesn't work. For some odd reason "no" doesn't work either.

There is a reason the government made laws to telemarketers who appear to ignore. I guess the fines are not high enough.

Amen Dennis!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
<YAWN>
~Will Rogers
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
@Dennis, actually the do not call lists last 5 years before you have to renew them. It works for me. The telemarket calls dropped drastically. However the telemarketers caught on and now just make robo-calls.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 17:17, critter wrote:
<YAWN>

Can't you be more original?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
"Can't?" or "won't?"
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Your call! Smile

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Touché
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Critter, you have a good sense of humor and you're a gentleman. Anyone who doesn't get riled at my acerbic style deserves kudos. That goes for some of the rest of the folks here as well. Smile

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks. You're alright too.
~Will Rogers
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Back in the day, I'd answer the phone and after the first few seconds, I'd simply hang up. This was before Cell Phones were the norm. Telemarketers don't call cell phones (to my knowledge) so they don't call. We still have a land line, but it's for faxing only. So that solves the problem. The ringer is turned off on the fax machine so we never even hear it ring...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL