The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've learned how to turn the annoying telemarketer calls into a rather fun thing. I'm curious to hear if any of you have similar fun ways to get back at them.

Here's ONE of mine.....

Caller asks for Bob so and so.....you respond by saying, "Just a minute" Then you holler, "HEY Bob, someone wants to talk to you...." You tell the caller to wait a minute. Then you go about your business, talking to your wife, watching TV, eating your dinner, listening to the radio, whatever. Just so the caller can hear it in the background on his end. About every half minute or so, you holler , "Hey Bob! This guy's still waiting to talk to you!" You keep up the play even get back on the phone and tell the caller, just a minute, he's in the basement and he's coming right up. Make it up as you go.

I actually had a guy on for about ten minutes one time before he finally hung up.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't 'get back at' telemarketers because they are just trying to work and maybe feed their families.
I ask them to remove me from their call lists and any lists they share.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank you critter. I just say "no thanks" and let them get about their business...without me!
(It was funny though!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
At a very low period in my life I worked as a telemarketer for Dial Amercia selling magazine subscriptions. It was the only job I could get at the time. While your little prank might have been funny to you, most of the people who work telemarketing are usually pretty poor and rely on commissions to make money. When you pull such a trick, you are not hurting the company who does these things but the poor schnook who is trying to make money for his family and put food on the table. The guy calling probably wishes he was working somewhere else, but this is probably the best he could do in a down economy.

The best way to handle telemarkers is to just ask to be taken off their list, and put yourself on the Do Not Call list.

Or do what I did: get rid of your land line.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 13:00, critter wrote:
I don't 'get back at' telemarketers because they are just trying to work and maybe feed their families.

I've had quite a few now hang up on me when I ask to be removed, acting as if they didn't even hear my request. Not suprisingly, I still get calls from the same companies.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 14:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:

I've had quite a few now hang up on me when I ask to be removed, acting as if they didn't even hear my request. Not suprisingly, I still get calls from the same companies.

Don't know how it is in Canada, but we have laws against that here.
There are specific telemarketing laws that must be adhered to both Federally and within the state that the callee resides in to protect us from harrassment.
If you have such laws there you could just report those places to the proper authorities.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I know you didn't just refer GDW to "the proper authorities"!!! This ought to be good.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 15:14, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 14:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Don't know how it is in Canada, but we have laws against that here.
There are specific telemarketing laws that must be adhered to both Federally and within the state that the callee resides in to protect us from harrassment.
If you have such laws there you could just report those places to the proper authorities.

Well, here in germany we have laws against it; But still most companies ignore that.
How do you want to proove to a court that they actually did not only not hear your request to be removed from the list,
and that you actually requested it ?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 13:36, Slide wrote:
At a very low period in my life I worked as a telemarketer for Dial Amercia selling magazine subscriptions. It was the only job I could get at the time. While your little prank might have been funny to you, most of the people who work telemarketing are usually pretty poor and rely on commissions to make money. When you pull such a trick, you are not hurting the company who does these things but the poor schnook who is trying to make money for his family and put food on the table. The guy calling probably wishes he was working somewhere else, but this is probably the best he could do in a down economy.

The best way to handle telemarkers is to just ask to be taken off their list, and put yourself on the Do Not Call list.

Or do what I did: get rid of your land line.

I've been through the removal process and it hasn't worked for me.

Sorry Sunshine, but I don't like getting phone calls from telemarketers when I'm in the middle of my dinner. They should have more sense than to call at dinner or anytime after 6 PM. It's just plain rude and presumptious of them to interfere with my privacy so I don't give a rat's *** if I've made their day a little more difficult. Get over it and bother someone else. Besides, if you're in sales and can't handle rejection, you need to refocus your inner energy and karma.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I try to be nice to telemarkers I was one for a while in college. If they are polite to me, I will be nice to them.
I don't like someone who starts out with a lie. This is all the new thing for construction companies... "Hello sir, we spoke a few months ago about your home improvement projects..." No, we did not. I have no problem with a contractor looking for business, but treat me a little better than that would you.

When I was on the phone selling auto insurance was the first time I heard an expression that sounded like "muck you and the horse you rode in on" I'd have never heard that before, and an Iowa farmer was the first to say that to me.

If a telemarkerter is rude or overly pushy, the gloves come off and I will play with them unmercifully. if they are nice, I can be too.

Do keep in mind though, if I want a product, I have probably researched it and purchased it on my own. Rare does someone actually call with something I want.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
For one thing- telemarketers don't have a choice when to call you. Not if they want to keep their jobs.
For another- Many call centers rate job performance on call volume and call times. And in the ones I've worked at you only get three warnings for an off metric before you lose your job.
Also, most people that work at call centers weren't able to find a different job and that's why they have to get yelled at all day for poverty wages. But if enough people drag out the call for their own amusement then they may not even have that terrible job, and aren't likely to be qualified to do anything else.
I don't see any reason to punish someone for taking a crap job in a crap economy. The job itself is punishment enough.

As for the lying bit, one call center I worked at had a verbatim script. Missing even one word was grounds for a written warning.

Instead of adding to the unemployment lines one could also terminate the call or get caller i.d. and not answer it to begin with. I'd rather go with one of those than to contribute to the unemployment problem.
~Will Rogers
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 13:36, Slide wrote:

I had a lady call the other day wanting to know if I needed a mobility device ... I was like "no, but I'd sure like to get one cause I'm tired of walking around the mall all the time" ... she starts laughing and gives me the "test" to see if I qualify and we both knew I did not, but we sure had a good time laughing and joking about the prospect. Smile

Was a fun call for both of us. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
<YAWN>

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
And you're entitled to that opinion.
~Will Rogers
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
I don't get the calls... National Do Not Call List does wonders.

Here's something I hope gives a few giggles... heard this last year.....

Pranking A Telemarketer

Cheers
Frank
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Frank, that's a great one! I'm familiar with it and was going to share it until the bleeding hearts showed up. Didn't think they'd find the humor in it; such a humorless bunch. Thanks for posting it. Makes ME laugh! Smile

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah, that's what everyone says about me. No sense of humor.

See, here we come to another limitation of internet communication, the assumptions.
Fact is, I have played around with telemarketers for fun, but never in a way that jeopardized their job. Fake accents, one-liners, that kind of stuff. Not dragging out the call or anything.
Unemployment just isn't funny to me.

I'm not calling anyone here a bad person. Not my place.
I reckon some folk maybe haven't thought about the very real consequences on real people. Just pointing out that they are there. What you choose to do with that information is your own deal, and you can deal with your own karma either way.

It doesn't matter to me whether you change anything because of it. Just sharing why I choose to do what I do.
Not at all telling you what to do or insulting you in any way.
Information is all I offer, not judgement.
~Will Rogers
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Just say New York City Sperm Bank. They never call back. Its funny when you get a woman too
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
About 25 years ago I had to take work as a telemarketer. Even though I hated the job, calling folks at dinner time or getting someone on the phone that was having a tough time getting to the phone, I made pretty good money at it. We sold tickets to fund raisers that were bringing Stan Kramiens Magic show to town. One other bad thing about it was that we told folks that we were calling on behalf of the Lane County Peace Officers Association. So naturally everyone thought it was a fund raisers for the local Sheriffs or Police. Later on I found out that only about 2% of the money actually went to law enforcement. I'm glad I only had to do this for about 2 weeks, then the City of Eugene called and offered me a job, Now I've got less than 5 years to go to retire.
So yes I do hate to get calls from thses outfits, but I'm always polite in telling them "No Thanks "
Bob.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I turned down one of those pseudo-police charity jobs when I had the luxury of other options. I also quit a job doing phone surveys after a day and a half when I was 17 because I hated lying to keep people on the phone. I swore for years that I would never work at a call center.
But when I could no longer do my previous job due to an injury, rather than leech of the tax-payers by claiming disability, I buckled and took the only job I could get at the time- which happened to be a call center. Just so I could work instead of being a burden on my family or society.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL