The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to do Tenkai? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattmann101
View Profile
New user
Blackburn, Lancashire (of 4000 holes)
27 Posts

Profile of mattmann101
I spent £30 (about $45) on a magic encyclopedia in a magic shop after being shown the Tenkai Pennies and told it was in this book. After cheking up on the book, only an alternate ending is outlined, not the whole trick.

Are you allowed to show how to do tricks in the Café? I'm just skeptical about spending more money on a book that only shows the latter part of brilliant tricks. (as I am a student and can't afford that!) I've been into magic about 5 years but would like to develop some more dramatic tricks, so if anyone could tell me the name of tricks, or where I could find them, cheers Smile
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
That sounds quite annoying.

If you want to develop some more dramatic tricks you should decide whether you prefer learning from books or videos/DVDs

The amount of material out there in book form is huge. There are definitely more 'dramatic tricks' than you could ever learn. If you want to get into some of them then you could look at books such as the "Art of Astonishment", I have heard nothing but good things about them.

You should search the Café. There has been many, many reviews written about this trilogy of books. I have heard of great effects from 'The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings'

If you are intersted in video/DVD then you might want to take a look at the "Easy to Master Card Miracle" series (don't be fooled by the name, I understand there is loads of cool stuff in there) or "The Magic of David Regal" series. I have just got this and it is fantastic.

Search the Café for reviews or visit "The good, the bad, and the garbage" section as there's a lot of material in there.

Hope this helps

PT.
Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Manipulix
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Manipulix
Hi Mattmann101,

I`m new too to the Cafe.
I agree with PT. Sometimes it is difficult to learn from books. Several times I found it easier to see the trick on DVD or Video or CD. I think DVD is the coming medium.

Hope that helps a little

Magically yours

Manipulix
What is life without a little bit of magic?
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Yes, learning from books is definitely an art form alone. I have only just started to be able to interpret some stuff from books. Often they refer to lots of other moves that you have to know before the procedure they are describing has any meaning.
DVD is the way forward for visual learning.

PT
Smile Smile Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
thanos4182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of thanos4182
I agree. DVD or video seems like an easier way of learning at least for me. You can rewind and go over something over and over again. You can actually see what is being done and you can try and master the effect yourself as your watching it on the screen.
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
Mattman101,
Jay Sankey teaches Tenkai Pennies on his SankeyTized 2 Video along with many other excellent sleights and effects.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I teach a simplified version in my magic workshop that I do. All the attendees to my lecture/workshop tell me it was worth the price of the workshop for that alone.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Mattman:
Tenkai Pennies is also shown and explained on Sol Stones DVD Quick & Casual close up.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
There is an excellent full description of The Tenkai Pennies in Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic" page 363. This book is a classic text on coin magic. It should be in every magician's library and is well worth your money.

Regards,
Gerald
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
Daryl also does the Tenkai Pennies on his Fooler Doolers video #3.
Greg Wilson has a version of the p***h with quarters on his On The Spot Video.
david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
Watch out if you buy Bobo's to learn it, the same thing might happen again. It's in the first of the extra chapters of the revised and enlarged hard back edition.
David.
Andrew Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Andrew Wong
Quote:
On 2003-03-08 09:10, Gerald wrote:
There is an excellent full description of The Tenkai Pennies in Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic" page 363.

My book has 358 pages only, how come there is page 363??? Smile
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
317 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Andrew-
David is right. Make certain you get "The New Modern Coin Magic" - the expanded 1966 revision of the older 1952 edition "Modern Coin Magic." Magic, Inc. published the revised expanded version in hard back in 1966. I believe the paper back version is not the expanded 1966 revision.

Good luck!
Gerald
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I would recommend to anyone getting Bobo's --splurge for the hard cover! I still haven't purchased it yet since I bought the softcover (and one of the main reasons I did was because I heard such great things about the Tenkai Pennies & thought it was included) Smile & although there are some really great ideas & decent routines in the softcover -- if you're anything like me, you're going to eventually regret 'saving' the money by buying the softcover and having to end up buying lots of the same info twice.

Live and learn... Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
I think the tenkai palm is also taught in one of Ellusionist's videos. Smile
Angus Meats
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Angus Meats
Bobo! Bobo! Bobo! Bobo!

I still cannot believe that book, til this day! Fantastic stuff, and the Tenkai routine is great!

It's a fantastic read, even if you may never touch 90% of what's in there!
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Get McBride Card Manipulation Act...

There is tons of handling of tenkai move...

symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to do Tenkai? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL