The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
114 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Have any of you guys ever been caught with one?

As I learn more about magic, the TT interests me more and more but am a little wary of using one. Any advice please? Thanks.
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
The TT is maybe the most exposed magic prop. But if you learn how to use it and conceal it, there is no chance of getting caught.
Searching for the magic side of life...
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6990 Posts

Profile of bowers
Mago is right.i use it in my shows. and in everyday performences too. its the way you handle it.and how you perform your routien.i even show my hands empty.but in a certain way. it is probaley one of my most important
props.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Andy
The TT is very versatile and as you increase your knowledge of magic performance you will find that it can be used in a wide variety of situations. It is great for the classic appearance and disappearance of a silk handkerchief but it's uses go a lot further than that.
Like anything new why not start practicing with one and amaze yourself on video and in the mirror and see where you go from there.
Enjoy the journey.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6990 Posts

Profile of bowers
My favorite bill switch is still doing it with a tt.there is several good dvds on the tt.there is some good mental effects that can be done with it.also some rope magic as well.
todd
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The thumb tip is very valuable. It just takes some good practice, so that it works in with the routine and you learn angles. Go for it- it helps make some serious magic!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
I am new to the T.T. myself and have not been caught. It plays big if you can catch them off guard. Show a empty hand and then bring out a silk...they will be amazed. Good luck and have fun with it...I know I do.
Are you watching closely?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You can also buy Finger tips which can be useful if the person suspects you are using a TT. Show the thumbs and fry em!
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 17:47, bowers wrote:
also some rope magic as well.

Now THAT is one BIG TT ;o)
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 02:53, djurmann wrote:
You can also buy Finger tips.....which can be useful if the person suspects you are using a TT. Show the thumbs and fry em!

I think it is a little bit of "magician" thinking if you show the thumbs empty. I was at a magicians club a year ago and a guy there showed me a thumb tip effect but praised it highly because in this one "you can show your thumbs empty". It is what happens when one spends too long performing only for other magicians.

I have never been caught, nor suspected using a Thumb Tip. perhaps the prop isn't THAT overexposed.
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
114 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Thanks Guys
You have convinced me to try it!
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Unless the spectators are looking for it, they won't find it. And the only way they could be looking for it is if they know what it is. And most people don't.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
And the only way they could be looking for it is if they know what it is.

Or you are so uncomfortable handling it that you draw attention to "something on my thumb".

Ed
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 21:32, JamesRaymond wrote:
I am new to the T.T. myself and have not been caught. It plays big if you can catch them off guard. Show a empty hand and then bring out a silk...they will be amazed. Good luck and have fun with it...I know I do.

The best advice I got for the TT was NOT to start with showing them the hand but to rather, start by showing them the silk. Almar told me "Get their attention on the silk and never mention your hand."

It has changed how I do it and reduced the "being caught" significantly.

:)
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If you watch this Silly Billy video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9DAHbHe2w - he shows his hand openly bare, and you can see the TT on his hand. But no one calls him on it.

It brings to mind one hing I was taught about it - it's not there!! If you act like it's there, someone will notice. But if you act like you have nothing, no one will ever notice.

Ed
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6990 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very true ed
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
114 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Thanks for the link, Ed, I guess that answers any doubts I had about using one!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
It's definately a self-conscious issue. I avoided using one for the longest time because I thought it was way too obvious that I had something on my thumb.

But, as it turns out, it's truly the "out of sight-out of mind" principle; or, perhaps more appropriately "out of mind-out of sight".

Just act like it's not there, learn the 5 or 6 basic concealment positions and you will never be burned.
And if you are? Keep right on doing the effect.

NEVER- EVER- Stop and acknowledge a spec's reveal of an effect, or gimmick.

Why? Because about 95% of the time they really don't know or didn't see it. They're guessing; the logical mind is warring with the illogical thing its seeing and making guesses as to how it could be. THEY DON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

Unless you acknowledge them, then, BOOM! They're right and you're busted.

Here, have a hanky and wipe that egg off your face. Don't feel bad, we all do it at first.

If you never acknowledge, they never know for certain and then *they* are the ones who end up looking foolish to the other spectators, not you.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
114 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
Great advice, thank you
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Buy the Pat Page "Secret Seminars Of Magic" DVD, vol.1 - the Thumb Tip. Great advice, many effects, very reasonable price ($12 or so).
Jim Cellini's Art Of Street Performing Vol.2 has an excellent section on his vanishing/reappearing/color changing silk.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
I recently starting doing Thumb Tip magic myself, and I love it. The only people who have noticed my thumb tip were those who have used one in the past -- usually as kids interested in magic. And even then, they don't see it right away -- rather, they recognize the trick as one they've done long ago as a kid and, remembering they've done that trick with a thumb tip, they then check my thumb to see if I'm using one.

In other words, they don't see the thumb tip just because they happen to notice it; instead, they are reminded of a thumb tip, and then check to see if it's really there.

And those spectators have always been nice enough not to reveal my secret. Maybe it's because most of them are impressed that the thumb tip is so easily missed (even by them) that they are willing to let the others observe the whole performance with the secret going unnoticed right in front of their faces.

Just one piece of advice: Not all thumb tip instructions cover this, but as you show your hands empty, make sure to point your thumbs towards the audience's faces (like the old U.S. propaganda poster with Uncle Sam pointing his finger at you saying, "Uncle Sam wants you!"). When a limb or a digit is pointed right at you, it's different than how you're are used to looking at it, and as a result, you won't notice a tiny difference in color.

From your point of view, the thumb tip sticks out like a sore thumb, but that's because you're viewing its rim against your skin, creating a ring-like shadow around your thumb. But if you perform in front of a mirror, you'll notice that spectators can't see the rim nor the shadow, simply because of their viewing angle. Whether you realize it or not, one side of your hands is usually covered in shadows, and people normally ignore shadows, conveniently contributing to the camouflage effect. Your spectators will be looking for something bright that stands out easily, so they'll naturally ignore slight changes in your hands' shading.

I hope this helps, and I wish you well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL