The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falling down - quotes jokes or metaphors? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Hey all,
I'm doing a 5 min talk attempting to persuade people to learn how to fall safely and effectively without getting hurt.

It's a pretty good talk so far, but I want to add a joke or two. Or maybe a metaphor about falling.

I haven't had too much luck so I was wondering if anyone had any.

Thanks Smile
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
"Nice trip, see ya next fall".

Actually, we are all falling throughout our existence.

Happy landings.

-Mary
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Bob and Stan were standing on a corner in Manhattan, Next to the Empire State Building. Bob looked up at the top of the building, then asked Stan, "If someone fell off the top of the Empire State Building and landed safely on the ground - no parachute, no truck filled with mattresses to break his fall, nothing - would that be a miracle?

Stan replied, "No. Unlikely, but not a miracle. It's possible that a sudden updraft of air - a sort of wind shear in reverse - could catch him."

Bob persisted. "What if he fell off a second time and landed safely. Surely that would be a miracle."

Stan disagreed. "Again, it's unlikely, but not miraculous. A second gust of wind would explain it."

Not to be discourage, Bob continued. "How about a third time, or a fourth, or a fifth. At some point, it has to be a miracle."

Stan sighed. "By that time, it's not a miracle. It's a habit."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Falling doesn't hurt a bit. Look at skydivers and bungee jumpers. You might want to take my class, though, to help you deal with that sudden stop at the end.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
"I am not economically viable"!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
****oooopppppsssss****...THUD.....

Approaching bystander.... "Fall Down?"

Person lying on the floor looking up... "Nope... I'm a freelance floor inspector.... This one's good"

"Here's yer sign"
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
It ain't the fall that kills ya,
It's the sudden stop at the end.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2805 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
On a serious note and speaking of falling down,
there would be no chicken crossing the road jokes
had she fallen down. Not a single one.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"I've fallen, and I can't get up!"
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-02-13 13:46, seadog93 wrote:
Hey all,
I'm doing a 5 min talk attempting to persuade people to learn how to fall safely and effectively without getting hurt.

It's a pretty good talk so far, but I want to add a joke or two. Or maybe a metaphor about falling.

I haven't had too much luck so I was wondering if anyone had any.

Thanks Smile

Aahhh... Good work. Smile

Tell us more about the talk you're giving please, sounds so interesting...

Btw, Judo Ukemis (breakfalls) should be looked into if you have not already.

I only have this one...

"We will all fall some time in our lives... It's not the falling down that matters, it's the getting up."
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Pakar,

Thanks. I was actually pretty proud of it.
I started off by do "zenpo ukemi" (forward break fall) as an attention getter; trying to get people to think I had accidently fallen and then asking what they thought would happen to them if they had fallen like that.
The main thrust was just trying to get people to go to a class, trying to paint a picture of what could happen.
The last couple of minutes I went over three main principles that I think are some of the most important:
1)relax physically (minimize injury) and mentally (deal with the situation)
2)bend your knees and get close to the ground
3)roll like a ball on the soft parts

I like the jokes here, but I think your quote would have fit in perfectly.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 01:46, seadog93 wrote:
Pakar,

Thanks. I was actually pretty proud of it.
I started off by do "zenpo ukemi" (forward break fall) as an attention getter; trying to get people to think I had accidently fallen and then asking what they thought would happen to them if they had fallen like that.
The main thrust was just trying to get people to go to a class, trying to paint a picture of what could happen.
The last couple of minutes I went over three main principles that I think are some of the most important:
1)relax physically (minimize injury) and mentally (deal with the situation)
2)bend your knees and get close to the ground
3)roll like a ball on the soft parts

I like the jokes here, but I think your quote would have fit in perfectly.

Nice. Good work... Smile

I feel more people should know how to fall properly. Seriously, it will come handy especially as we get older.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Smile
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 01:57, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

I feel more people should know how to fall properly. Seriously, it will come handy especially as we get older.

Exactly. Anyone of any age can be hurt, even permanently injured or killed, by a bad fall at the wrong time in the wrong place but the older you get the more serious it is.
After 70 years old even a small fall from from standing is likely to be very serious.
I mentioned in the talk that even if you aren't 70 years old, you may well WANT to be 70 someday and it's a skill you should learn before you need it.

I didn't mention that my grandpa has had a couple falls lately but his mobility is such that he really can't learn and practice too much.

Actually I decided to talk on the subject because it had come up several times with family and co-workers. I have thought that I should try to set up some type of training seminar, but I don't have any letters after my name so I don't know if I would be able to sell it.

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 02:23, seadog93 wrote:

Actually I decided to talk on the subject because it had come up several times with family and co-workers. I have thought that I should try to set up some type of training seminar, but I don't have any letters after my name so I don't know if I would be able to sell it.

I say just start doing it, with hope that a good thing will always attract the right people and resources.

I recommend for starters...

Show some clips on youtube of your proposed "seminar", you doing YOUR stuff.

Be sure to take the proper precautions medically and insurance wise...

Research those that do the same thing in other parts of the world, especially medical professionals caring for the elderly.

And imho...

All the letters you'll really need to begin is LOVE and GIVING in your heart.

And you've already begun, so I pray and foresee great things in the future, for you and your program... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falling down - quotes jokes or metaphors? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL