The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Battlefield Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
As reported in Wired:
"In its new budget, unveiled on Monday, Darpa [Defense Advanced Research Project Agency] introduced a new $4 million investigation into technologies that will “manage the adversary’s sensory perception” in order to “confuse, delay, inhibit, or misdirect [his] actions.” Darpa calls the project “Battlefield Illusion.” Of course."
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/02/darpa-magic/

The mixing of magic and the military is not new as many here are no doubt aware of Jasper Maskelyne's creative role in helping the allies to confuse the German's in WW2.
Bob
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 06:45, Intrepid wrote:

The mixing of magic and the military is not new as many here are no doubt aware of Jasper Maskelyne's creative role in helping the allies to confuse the German's in WW2.

FWIW:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=174715

"Alas, Maskelyne's main war illusions were illusory."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ninjas. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
During the civil war it was a common practice to build fake artillery pieces out of logs to deceive the enemy. These non-lethal "cannons" where nick named "quaker guns" by the troops.
Bob
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 06:45, Intrepid wrote:
As reported in Wired:
"In its new budget, unveiled on Monday, Darpa [Defense Advanced Research Project Agency] . . . ."

You'd think that they'd get the name correct: it's DARPA (all caps), not Darpa.

I did some work with DARPA (through ARDEC, the U.S. Army's Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (formerly, Command)) many years ago. They're an interesting bunch, and they have some really fascinating projects.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Has anyone besides Stokes verified these sources?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Battlefield Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL