The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ah the wonders of privatization . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 14:44, mastermindreader wrote:
I think you will agree, lobo, that there is a serious appearance of impropriety when a judge sentences defendants to terms in private prisons in which he holds a financial interest. I would be equally opposed to any lobbying by unions to increase incarcerations for purely profit motives.

I am not addressing the question of whether or not private prisons are a good idea. I can see how they could be beneficial, particularly in states like California, for the reasons you set forth earlier. I have, however, serious problems, with the notion of incarceration for profit.

I agree with the point about the judges (and I would think that would have to be disclosed and would be clear grounds for recusal). As to the lobbying, I don't know what it's like in other states (though I'd be surprised if it were any different), but in California, the public employee prison guard union is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the state, and they do the same thing for the same reason(s) as some have expressed concerns for regarding the private companies.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Therefore I would be opposed to those lobbying efforts by the California unions as well.

I remember, as I'm sure you do, the arguments that we used to have in law school about the purposes of punishment and incarceration. The main theories were rehabilitation, retribution, and deterrence. "To increase the revenues of private corporations and the salaries of corrections personnel" wasn't on the list.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 14:59, mastermindreader wrote:
Therefore I would be opposed to those lobbying efforts by the California unions as well.

I remember, as I'm sure you do, the arguments that we used to have in law school about the purposes of punishment and incarceration. The main theories were rehabilitation, retribution, and deterrence. "To increase the revenues of private corporations and the salaries of corrections personnel" wasn't on the list.

I do remember those arguments (somewhat fondly, actually, although unfortunately my worst first-year professor, by far, was for criminal law)...my personal favorite was (and is) incapacitation. And I'm not disagreeing with you (and I understand that you're not disagreeing with me, either); I'm just adding the second half to the equation, lest the casual reader infer that the situation you allude to applies only to the case of privately-run prisons. Expressio unius est exclusio alterius, and all that.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yep, that too!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 15:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Expressio unius est exclusio alterius.

I love it when you write in Greek!

;)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The simplest reason for incarceration is just to keep dangerous predators away from their prey. Whether the predators can be rehabilitated or not is a side-issue. Whether they deserve to be punished or not is a side-issue. Whether other predators are deterred is a side-issue. If you can keep a psychopath or sociopath away from the public until he reaches the sixth decade, you will have prevented a lot of suffering.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes, that's the deterrence or incapacitation theory of incarceration. I agree with you as to its being the simplest reason. My only objection is to the idea of "incarceration for profit."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Deterrence" actually comes in two flavors. Deterring others is "general deterrence.". That's when you hear about bad guys going to prison, and it sounds like it sucks, so you obey the law. There's also "specific deterrence," which is when you yourself go to prison (or suffer whatever other punishment we're talking about), experience that it sucks, firsthand, and quit committing crimes upon your release.

Simply segregating criminals from society at large is "incapacitation," and it's a good reason for jail/prison.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes, you're right. I am using "deterrence' in both senses. Incapacitation is really just the first half of "specific deterrence" for those who will eventually be released.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Woland, I agree that's the "simplest" reason, of course it requires there be a prey/victim.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Alas, gdw, prey are never in short supply.

Thank you Lobo and Bob for your kind comments. I am not in favor of "incarceration for profit," but if a private manager can do a better job of maintaining and operating the means of incarceration, why not?

In a society without prisons, simply segregating malefactors is not an option, so they must be hanged, flogged, or kneecapped. It seems to me that prison is a far milder remedy than those that were in use before prisons were invented.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 12:22, Dannydoyle wrote:
Landmark I bet it would make you happy if it was private and union huh?

Not with a stipulation like the 90% capacity thing. I think Bob has it framed very well--whatever the purpose of prison is, it shouldn't be about maximizing profit.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-02-19 18:42, Woland wrote:
In a society without prisons, simply segregating malefactors is not an option, so they must be hanged, flogged, or kneecapped. It seems to me that prison is a far milder remedy than those that were in use before prisons were invented.

Can't argue with that.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 10:55, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 19:42, gdw wrote:
http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/art......ing_pot/

No wonder. Keeping you safe.

Time for another one of landmarks funny (not) posts about goons.inc. Oh wait, these are public employees, not private. So I guess we won't be getting one. Thank goodness for small favors even if it is a tad hypocritical.

The Goons bit is about why I think privatization of a police force is a lousy idea. My way of having fun with some of gdw's idea of having no state police force.
But I've also made plenty of posts where I wasn't thrilled with the public police force's use of unwarranted violence as well. No hypocrisy there. If I have to choose, I choose the public police force because they are (theoretically) more accountable to the public.
The union issue which I've never mentioned has nothing to do with my preference of one over the other. I would want both public and private forces to be unionized.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 18:42, Woland wrote:
Alas, gdw, prey are never in short supply.

Thank you Lobo and Bob for your kind comments. I am not in favor of "incarceration for profit," but if a private manager can do a better job of maintaining and operating the means of incarceration, why not?

Yes, I was just alluding to those "criminals" who have no victims.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Why is a public police force more accountable to the public? (theoretically)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Theoretically, it's because they are directly overseen by elected officials, and, in many cases, police chiefs, sheriff's etc. are actually elected officials themselves. That would make them (theoretically) directly accountable to the public rather than to private employers.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Well, you've heard the phrase, "You can't fight city hall." It's for that reason that I think that in many ways they are less accountable than a private force would be. That's not to say, I'm in favor of privatizing our entire police force. Just pointing out what I believe to be a problem with the public force.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yeah. You can't fight city hall, but you can throw the bums out in the next election. You can't do that to CEOs.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I like this thread. I am glad we have proven what can be agreed upon once you strip out the agendas and hyperbole on both sides.

If we could just get everyone to see things like this, and not buy into the hype we might elect one or two public officials who actually serve the public once in a while!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ah the wonders of privatization . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL