The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » An Alternative to "Zaney Lights"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Can you stage lighting mavens tell me if a pair of these compact color wash fixtures would be an acceptable, lightweight alternative to Walter Blaney's portable tabletop lighting rig that's described in David Charvet's book "The Banquet Magician's Handbook"?

http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Color_Splash_p/e-137.htm

I'm thinking that if I used red, blue and white reflector bulbs (as per the Zaney lights) instead of the 4 colors shown, I'd get 400-480 watts of illumination (depending on whether I used r20 or r30 bulbs) similar to the Zaney light but in a smaller and lighter package.

What do you think?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't know about the light output but it does not seem to be as well protected as the Zaney Lights. I like the idea of the Zaney lights were all self contained in a box. I guess you could get a lightweight fiber case to put these lights into.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 21:24, hugmagic wrote:
I don't know about the light output but it does not seem to be a well protected as the Zaney Lights. I like the idea of the Zaney lights were all self contained in a box. I guess you could get a lightweight fiber case to put these lights into.

Richard

Re putting these lights in some sort of case: that's what I was thinking.

The plywood box that holds the Zaney lights is relatively large and, I suspect, heavy. Another Café member adapted the idea and put the lights in a metal toolbox, which both protected the lights and is a bit lighter in weight, but when I saw these I thought they might be an even lighter alternative.

Thanks, Richard.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Hey,

I wouldn't, those are lights that blink to music. If you want a disco go ahead and buy them. Also they have no dimmer so who knows what color blend you'll get.

G
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I haven't read the book nor have I seen this light system. Would someone mind posting a pic of their Zaney Lights and going into a bit more detail?

There have been some times where we really could have used some lighting, but I haven't found a practical rig yet...
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 04:16, g0thike wrote:
Hey,

I wouldn't, those are lights that blink to music. If you want a disco go ahead and buy them. Also they have no dimmer so who knows what color blend you'll get.

G

Thanks--I thought the sound chasing feature was an option that you could turn on or off. But as far as the lack of a dimmer goes, that's no different to the Zaney lights, which are just two sets of three reflector bulbs (red, blue and white) in a pair of boxes that you place on tables on each side of the performing area.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Hmm. Email the company, it might be a possibility.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
I actually built a set in large Tupperware tubs. If anyone is interested, I can post pix. They actually work quite well.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2012-03-12 21:58, brody wrote:
I actually built a set in large Tupperware tubs. If anyone is interested, I can post pix. They actually work quite well.

Brody, I'd be interested in seeing a photo or two.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
K. give me a day or two.
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
I use two of these for stage lighting. They're bright, DMX controlled with footswitch for colour washes, flash sound to light, and come with slim carry cases.
They are a similar brightness to a PAR 64 can, but without the heat. Had them over a year now - amazing!!

http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=product&product_id=308
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Ok, here's some pix and one lousy diagram. (I hope..)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78017027@N05/

Basically, I built two sets of lights, each in it's own Tupperware tub. The diagram shows the basic construction, as well as the photo of the inside.

They are very light weight, and VERY UGLY. The ugly is on purpose, since I do some school shows, etc, and didn't want my tubs to get picked up/mixed in with anybody else's.

The insides are basically lined with a "bubble-wrap" material that has mylar over it. It's a light weight insulation material that I got at Home Depot. Cuts with scissors.

I've run the lights for over an hour and 1/2, and the ol' laser thermometer puts the sides of the tubs at 79 degrees F.

The bulbs are a blistering +400.

The one construction part that I forgot is how I attached the corner blocks and base to the tub. I drilled two holes through the base and the blocks, AND the bottom of the tub. Then, I ran a zip tie through it, and zipped the mess together.

Then, a little silicone over each of the holes in each corner, and voila...water tight again.

Anyhow, I don't use them often, but when I need to, they are lifesavers.

BTW. I use just about anything to prop them to the proper angle, since they lie on their side during use. I'm currently using a few old VHS tapes. Stack them under the closest side.

PPS: The cord does indeed run out across the bottom of the tub and out the top during use. Since heat rises, this seemed ok, and in use, again the cords stay very cool.

If anybody's got any questions, feel free to ask.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Brody, when I click on that link I get the following message on that Flicker page:

adminNew doesn't have anything available to you.

So I wasn't able to view the photos, but I did read your lengthy description, which I very much appreciate. If you're able to fix whatever bug is presenting us from seeing the photos, please let us know.

:thanx:
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Try now...hopefully, it should work.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
It does indeed--thanks!
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
In the UK, all portable appliances must pass a annual PAT Test for safety etc.... Most venues etc require these by law, or you won't be allowed to 'plug in'... I'm not sure these would pass!!
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
And you think that why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » An Alternative to "Zaney Lights"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL