The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If this is not despotism, what is? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When Federal agents scrutinize the lunch a 4-year-old's Mother has lovingly packed for her, and determine it does not meet official specifications, and force the girl to buy a lunch from the school Caféteria --which she does not eat-- and send her mother the bill, you are no longer living in a free country.

And all of us taxpayers are paying for a bloated bureaucracy to make it happen.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Sorry. You lost all credibility when you linked to a Fox news story. Link to a creditable and legitimate NEWS organization.

Fox news only exists to get dumb people rilled up.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
LOL.

Okay, SLide, I'll call your bluff.

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

From Investor's Business Daily:

From the more local Charlotte Observer:

And to show you that the story has international reach, from the Daily Mail:

You may not like any of those sources either, but neither Pravda nor the People's Daily have picked up the story -- yet. Stay tuned . . . .
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Ah, the Daily Hate - I mean Mail.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 06:54, Slide wrote:
Sorry. You lost all credibility when you linked to a Fox news story. Link to a creditable and legitimate NEWS organization.

I need a laugh...what's an example of a NEWS organization you find credible and legitimate?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know our "government intelligence" is being so well placed! Thank God that little girl wasn't left with no choice but a turkey sandwich carefully prepared by mom and an apple! Oh, the horrors!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 06:54, Slide wrote:

Apparently. The mere mention of it seemed to get you pretty "rilled" up.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 05:49, Woland wrote:
When Federal agents scrutinize the lunch a 4-year-old's Mother has lovingly packed for her, and determine it does not meet official specifications, and force the girl to buy a lunch from the school Caféteria --which she does not eat-- and send her mother the bill, you are no longer living in a free country.

Where in the article did it state that there were Federal Agents involved in this. It plainly stated "that it was an agent from the Department of Health and Human Services at the state level." So this appears to be an issue in North Carolina and no where else. At least I haven't heard of G-Men bursting into schools and forcibly confiscating lunches. This seems to be a case of an over zealous and poorly trained state worker either on a power trip or over zealously interpreting the parameters of a state run program.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I interpreted that phrase, Payne, to refer to a Federal employee of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services. I will re-check to see if there is more detailed information, and get back to you on that one.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This is, in fact, a North Carolina issue, not a federal one.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 11:36, Woland wrote:
I interpreted that phrase, Payne, to refer to a Federal employee of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services. I will re-check to see if there is more detailed information, and get back to you on that one.

Quote:
On 2012-02-16 10:54, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 05:49, Woland wrote:

Where in the article did it state that there were Federal Agents involved in this. It plainly stated "that it was an agent from the Department of Health and Human Services at the state level." So this appears to be an issue in North Carolina and no where else. At least I haven't heard of G-Men bursting into schools and forcibly confiscating lunches. This seems to be a case of an over zealous and poorly trained state worker either on a power trip or over zealously interpreting the parameters of a state run program.

Recheck to see if there's more information? That is a direct quote from the article YOU linked to? Either you didn't even read your own source or you're just trying to stir up trouble as is your usual M.O.

As you see Slide, Woland's credibility was lost more than 400 posts ago.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Whether the issue is "Federal" or "North Carolina," it is certainly an example of unnecessarily intrusive government.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 12:23, Bill Hilly wrote:

Recheck to see if there's more information? That is a direct quote from the article YOU linked to? Either you didn't even read your own source or you're just trying to stir up trouble as is your usual M.O.

As you see Slide, Woland's credibility was lost more than 400 posts ago.

Wow, talk about over the top. I don't see how stating Federal agents over state agents points towards trying to stir up trouble. The point is the same. Ridiculous intrusion by the government. Someone else has lost all credibility with me.

It may be that it was simply a case of an over zealous and poorly trained state worker as Paine suggests. But if that were the case, I would expect the State to apologize and correct the situation which I'm not sure there are any indications that it has happened.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I blipped by it and read it as federal workers the first time around. "The Department of Health and Human Services at the state level" is a really weird construction. I'd certainly have written it as "The North Carolina Department of Heath and Human Services."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 13:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'd certainly have written it as "The North Carolina Department of Heath and Human Services."

But, then, you strive for clarity.

Anarchist!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I thought the thread title said "nepotism" and got all excited.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Lobo & Rockwall.

Whether the enforcer was employed by the State or the Feds, he or she was acting on the basis of Federal guidelines, from the USDA.

Moreover, a current SCOTUS Justice was asked about just this sort of situation during her confirmation hearings:

Quote:
On Tuesday evening, Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) posed a hypothetical question to Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan: If Congress passed a law that said Americans “have to eat three vegetables and three fruits, every day … does that violate the Commerce Clause?”

“Sounds like a dumb law,” Kagan replied.

…I think that the question about whether it is a dumb law is different from the question of whether it’s constitutional. And I think the courts would be wrong to strike down laws that they think are senseless just because they’re senseless.

COBURN: Well, I guess the question I’m asking you is: Do we have the power to tell people what they have to eat every day?

KAGAN: Senator Coburn, um…

And as James Lileks puts it:

Quote:
I guarantee you this: when this program - whatever the devil it is - was first proposed, someone said it will lead to inspectors demanding to see what’s in kid’s lunches, and insisting they eat something else instead of what mom sent. And the critic got a cold, withering look from the good people in charge. i][Really. I think that’s a little overboard.[/i]

You could say: yank the kid! Private schools! But they’ll be next; there’s no possible argument left for letting some private institution wreak their havoc on juvenile constitutions, particularly if they partake of some governmental benefit, like “Streets” or “water” or perhaps clean air.

Yes, I know. Really. I think that’s a little overboard.

I apologize for misreading the original news story and assuming that the Department of Health and Human Services mentioned was a Federal rather than a North Carolina entity. But the guidelines are clearly Federal, and the impulse to control every facet of daily life is quite strong in those who advocate bigger government.

And your taxes are paying for it.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
The guidelines are set at the Federal level(USDA). The person interpreting and applying the rule was a state employee. As if that makes any difference at all.

Obviously the people who are griping about the source of the news, or whether the person who told the girl her mother made her a bad lunch was a State of Ferderal employee, aren't bothered by the fact that we have people rooting through grade schoolers lunch bags and deciding if what their parents packed is to the governments liking.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't agree with them getting involved in someone's packed lunch from home.
But I wouldn't have any issue with those lunches which the school sells being required to meet standards of healthiness.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Word on the street is that the Heart Attack Grill has aced the contract . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If this is not despotism, what is? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL