The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is it important? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmarie
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicmarie
For everyone in your club to be a member of the I.B.M.? Does anybody ever even check it out at your clubs? I think our club have a couple of guys who do not belong to the I.B.M. yet they show up every month. What would you do if you found out someone had not joined the I.B.M. but kept coming to the meetings?
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I guess it depends on the Ring. You could require all members show a current and active membership card in order to join. At my Ring anyone can show up to a couple meetings as a guest and after that they would have to join in order to keep attending. I guess it just all depends on the rules of your Ring and how (or if) they are enforced. I know at my Ring there are some people who are members of the Ring who are not IBM members or who used to be IBM members.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with Lash. I like how the Nashville Songwriters Association do it. Guests can come, via invitation from a current member, but for a maximum of 2 meetings only. I think there needs to be a limit set somewhere.

Regan
Mister Mystery
borderjs
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of borderjs
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 09:45, Regan wrote:
I agree with Lash. I like how the Nashville Songwriters Association do it. Guests can come, via invitation from a current member, but for a maximum of 2 meetings only. I think there needs to be a limit set somewhere.

Regan

If you restrict guest to invitation only I would think you would have difficulty increasing membership numbers. I suppose if you didn't want to get others interested in magic this could be a good strategy?
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
My Ring has the same problem. Our Treasurer actually checks it out, though. What ends up happening is they (usually) stop coming to meetings. I guess we're better off!

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 12:22pm
I guess it's the economy. It never used to happen so much!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's sort of like Catholics and contraception.

It's intended to increase the number of IBM members which is why you have an IBM Ring in the first place. The only "gotcha" is that it's easier to to stop going to IBM meetings than it is to stop having sex. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I was about to post something very similar. I'm the Territorial Vice President for Mississippi for the IBM, and we have only 1 ring in the state (Ring 98, Jackson, Mississippi), and it's a struggling, but good ring. HOWEVER, there are rings nearby, in other states, and people who live in Mississippi regularly attend. Some of those people have let their national IBM membership lapse within the last year or so, and yet others haven't had an IBM membership for over 10 years, but are still permitted to regularly attend meetings and participate in ring activities. I don't think that's right, but when the issue has been brought up at meetings in the past, nobody seems to care. I need to find out if this can come down to the ring losing a charter for this activity.

I'm of the belief that allowing a non-ring member to attend 1 or 2 meetings before requiring them to pay local dues is the right way to handle things. They DO need to be a member of the national organization prior to becoming a local member, however.

Thoughts?

Steve Thomas
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Works for me...

Non IBM "guests" should also be excluded from "club only" activities such as banquets, special shows, lectures (unless they pay non-member prices), and voting on or attending club business meetings.

The only way to make IBM membership more attractive is to give them a reason to want to join.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Our club was a going concern long before we affiliated ourselves with the IBM. At the time of the cross over it was written into our constitution that any member of the club in good standing could remain in the club without joining the national organization. They are only required to pay the dues for the local club to maintain their membership.

However anyone wishing to join after we became an official IBM ring is supposed to pay both the club dues as well as maintain their membership in the IBM. However I really don't think anyone has ever checked and no one has ever seen a roster of the local IBM members. I suppose this is something the TVP is suppose to supply us with. But since no one in our club has ever seen, or even heard from our TVP the point is moot.

We've been a ring for over ten years and have never heard anything from the national organization. Not that we really care. One would just expect at least a one time visit from the TVP just to see how things were going. Even a phone call to an officer might be nice.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Newbie perspective?

I had the option of attending a couple of club meetings as a guest before deciding to join...the club officers greeted me at the first meeting and let me know that up front. However, I did not even need to think about it. Paid my club dues for the year on the spot. Lined up two sponsors and made application to the national IBM before the second month's meeting. Got my welcome packet and am waiting for the probation period to pass and for my first issue of Linking Ring to arrive!

The value of joining the ring was sooo evident. I cannot believe how much I have learned and the valuable connections made already.

Why on earth would someone who was serious about this craft go to the meetings for 10 years and not want to join?
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Like Payne's Ring, our Ring has never received a list of members from the national organization. I've requested a list three times, but to no avail.

We allow people two free visits to see if they want to join our Ring. They almost always do join, but there were a couple of people who sporadically come to meetings. When asked to see their membership cards, they had "left them at home." I asked one of them what they thought about the latest Linking Ring. The guy replied, "What's that?" He hasn't been back since then.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I occasionally request a list of active members and members whose national IBM membership has recently lapsed and I get it later that day. I believe it comes from Sindie Richison at the "home office", the treasurer of your particular ring should have a list of the ring members. Simple matter to compare the 2 lists. Some people get drastically offended when you mention an expired membership, they tell you they can't afford dues, while 5 minutes before they were telling you how many shows they have on the calendar and how the show fees have increased so much and how many expensive new props they just bought. Hmmm...go figure.

Steve
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
We used to belong to a ring in a nearby town, that was very strict in following the rules and required everyone to join the international IBM and then join as a club member.

Eventually new people who really did not care about the value of keeping only active paid members in the club took over. They eventually let anyone and everyone come to the meetings and they openly shared the secrets in front of completely new people who were only coming to find out how the tricks were done.

The whole club became a joke and there was no real honor to join, so why would anyone want to under these conditions. If you could come for free there was no reason whatsoever to actually pay dues.

I do not know if the club even exists anymore, but I always thought it was sad that people who had no idea about the values of the art of magic or the IBM just ran it into the ground.

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Pretty much like Payne’s group, Ring 112 (Chattanooga) started in 1919, but only became associated with the IBM in the 1950’s. Since then IBM membership is a prerequisite of joining the local club.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
I'm an IBM member, as well as a member of the local Ring. As such, I receive The Linking Ring (we actually get two copies at our house each month - multiple members). One thing I've been asked many times is what is the benefit of being a member of the IBM? It's easy to list the benefits of being a member of a local Ring (and our Ring does it's best to enforce IBM membership) but I find it a bit tougher to explain the benefits of being a member of the IBM, other than the magazine and the requirement in order to be a member of the local ring.

What do you feel is the benefit of being a member of the IBM? If your club had a choice of being affiliated with the IBM and enforcing membership, or being unaffiliated and having no need for IBM membership, (or if you were starting up a new club) which would you be in favor of and why?
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Gordy,

I am in a somewhat different position. I live about 45-60 minutes away from a couple of IBM Rings (Akron and Canton Rings), but because of my work and mid-week church responsibilities, I am never able to make a local meeting. So, I am a member of the national organization, but no longer a local one (I used to be part of Ring 71 in Cincinnati before moving to Northeast Ohio).

The benefit for me is the instant prestige afforded to me for being a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians. For the type of shows I do, people are impressed to hear that I am a member of the I.B.M. So, it adds credibility to what I do when I tell them I am part of the largest magic organization in the world.

I have not been able to make it to a lot of I.B.M. conventions, but they are incredible. It is amazing the access people can have with some of the top professional magicians/mentalists.

While magic clubs might have existed prior to the establishment of the I.B.M., there could be some intangibles of being associated with the organization who once had Harry Houdini as its president.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-05-07 10:31, robwar0100 wrote:

While magic clubs might have existed prior to the establishment of the I.B.M., there could be some intangibles of being associated with the organization who once had Harry Houdini as its president.

Bobby

Houdini was a president of the SAM not the IBM. I don't beleive he was even a member of the IBM. His obituary in the November 1927 edition of the Linking Ring doesn't mention him being affiliated with the orgainization.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Payne,

I always thought he was president of both organizations. Might need to brush up on my history.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Its rather surprising that none of the national officers have picked up on this thread and responded.
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Well...I Picked up on it and I have been following it but I am a National Officer of The Society of American Magicians not the I.B.M. However I am a member of both the I.B.M. AND the S.A.M. and the I.B.M.s Bylaws say...

Article VI Sec. 6.
No Ring shall permit other than qualified members of both its and this organization to attend its business meeting, nor shall it admit to membership anyone other than those who have been duly qualified and elected to membership in this organization (The International Brotherhood of Magicians) as prescribed by the Constitution and Bylaws of this organization and who are members thereof in good standing.

I know this thread is primarily about the I.B.M but I thought I would add that the S.A.M. has a similar rule in it's Bylaws...

SECTION 2 c.
Assembly Members shall be composed of those individuals eighteen years of age or older who are members in good standing of The Society of American Magicians and who agree to join an Assembly existing within a reasonable distance of their places of residence. After having applied, been elected, and accepted in the manner prescribed in Section 5 of this Article, they shall have the right to vote, hold office and serve on committees, provided that they remain members in good standing. (Amended 2/1/92; 7/10/96; 7/6/05; 7/15/09)

So, both organizations require the local affiliates to be members of the National Organizations. Some Local clubs do not enforce the rules and neither national organization has a "Magic Police Force" to make sure that people follow the rules. However, being members of the national organizations provide both members and local organizations with many benefits IF the members and local organizations wish to participate in the benefits.

I'm not going to take the time to list the benefits here...If you are interested in the benefits then I would suggest that you contact your local Territorial Vice Presidents (for the I.B.M.) or your Regional Vice Presidents (for the S.A.M.).

Thanks for your time...

Dal Sanders
The Society of American Magicians
National First Vice President
...and also a Proud Member of The International Brotherhood of Magicians
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is it important? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL