The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Trouble accessing a website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi,

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I've had no luck trying to access Stevens Magic Emporium's website. It seems to be the only site I'm unable to access. I talk to someone else who says they have had no problems, so I was wondering if anyone here had any similar problems or had an idea why this might be?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Michael,

I would assume you are using http://stevensmagic.com/

I just tried it and had no problem getting there.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I even have their site bookmarked. I tried using the link you provided and still the same problem. I've tried using both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers, but I can't get their website to connect. DRAT!!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Try using an online proxy like https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/

I think you only get one crack before they ask you for money, but it will let you know if its an issue with your ISP or not (probably a glitch somewhere between your ISP and Stevens).
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I just went to that proxy and through their surf function did access Stevens' site. But I have no idea what that does, or how it fixes my problem. I don't know enough about computers, or what a Proxy is to make any difference myself. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Its like using someone else's computer that has a different internet service provider. Let your ISP know the problem and how the prox worked, the ISP will never admit the problem is on their end, but generally the problem clears up real quick after placing that call. If they ask for money (ie Uverse) don't bite, they'll find the glitch soon enough.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Less than two weeks ago, I had a tech company come out and check my computer. They said it was clean. But they did ping checks and found problems with dropped packets. So next I had Comcast come out and they replaced the modem. that seemed to speed everything up (before I couldn't even load videos). But over the past week, noticed that I could not access Stevens' site. Oddly, that seems to be the only one.

I'll try the same from my son's laptop, which is feeding from the same wireless signal.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK, same problem from his computer. I guess I need to call Comcast again. DRAT!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Best of luck to you with Comcast.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, and thanks for your input. The tech that came before was quite helpful, but apparently there is a glitch that they haven't found yet.

I really hate computer problems...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Michael, and anyone else who wants to help: I'm having the same problem with my own Web Site, http://www.magicnook.com
I can't access my own Web site and I can't convince Comcast that the problem is on their end. I can see the Stevens Web site, but not my own. It's very frustrating because I can't update my calendars or anything else.

I hate to ask this, but could everyone who sees this (and I'll post it in another thread as well) just try to click on my Web site - this is NOT a trick to get you to visit my Web site, but I would like to be able to present Comcast with numbers of others who have Comcast as their IPS and who can't get through to this particular Web site. If you can't see my site and DON'T use Comcast as your ISP, that would be important data also.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I just tried to access your site with no luck.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thanks. I know you have Comcast already, so I'll add you to the list. Did Comcast resolve the problem with the Stevens magic site?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No, but I haven't contacted them yet.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I solved my problem over the phone, but I was prepared with evidence they couldn't refute when I talked to the technician. They first try to get you to reset your router, then they reset the modem, then they try to get you to erase all your cookies and file history... all of which is smoke screen. That solves minor connection problems in and around your house, but not the blocking of a server that, in the case of Stevens Magic, is located in San Antonio, Texas. You can convince them to run a "ping" test on the missing web site, and also to run a "tracert" which they pronounce "trace route" test. If they do that and it shows that their equipment is "timing out" then they should take it seriously and stop trying to get you to solve a problem of this magnitude.
Professor Spellbinder

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm able to run ping tests myself, and yes, as you said, I get nothing but dropped packets (100% loss) when I ping Stevens' site. I'll get with Comcast one day this week when I can afford to sit on the phone half the morning.

Thanks for your input!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you know how to do ping tests, then you can also do tracert tests the same way. Just type in "tracert stevensmagic.com" and hit enter. It takes five to ten minutes to get the full results.
Professor Spellbinder

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Using the command prompt shortcut, I typed in as you said, and got a few lines before "result timed out".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Michael, I have had problems with Comcast in two different states and their customer service sucks. I don't know your experience, but Comcast was the big guy in town here for a long time. Between problems I had with customer service with outages, TV problems and Internet problems, I finally dumped them. Now I've got Verizon and Direct TV and phone all bundled, and service is good. You may not have that option and if you don't, you really have to be a squeaky wheel with Comcast. Good luck.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2012-02-27 23:13, Michael Baker wrote:
Using the command prompt shortcut, I typed in as you said, and got a few lines before "result timed out".

That's correct. That's your evidence. Tell them you did that and ask them to do the same. If they tell you they don't get the same results, ask them to send a technician to your house with a laptop, have the tech plug into your modem and run the test so you can SEE the results of the tracert and ping tests. It's actually so the tech will see and verify the results and put pressure on the guys in Comcast who are dithering to make them fix the problem. Also tell them you expect compensation for all the time you were without full service and had to do their jobs for them.
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Trouble accessing a website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL