We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » DIY Table / Case for performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Hi all

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not. I looked at the Forum "Workshop" but that seemed to apply more to illusions.

So - I wanted a performance table - for a show at a dinner and for taking to the Nursing Home and potentially for busking this summer.

Pictures at http://photobucket.com/CaptHookMagic

I took an old "Computer Repair Briefcase" [free]

I bought an adapter that goes on the top of a microphone stand and pined it onto a flat piece of 1/8 metal about 8' by 8' and then spray painted it with RustCoat [adapter $4.50 - piece of metal - free, paint I had]

I bolted the metal with adapter to the bottom of the brief case but added a piece of 3/8 plywood to give it more stability as well as to have the adapter stick out "less' from the bottom [plywood scrap - free]

There is a picture of the rig screwed on top of a standard microphone stand

I sewed some black velvet cloth as a cover and used sticky sided Velcro to keep it in place. [cloth was a remnant at Fabric Land $5.20]

I added a fancy piece with blue and stars I found at Value Village [used clothing and stuff $1.99]

I sewed a couple of flip out "black bags" for dropping loads into or for holding potential loads. The second one (not shown) on the right side was designed to fit my Change Bag perfectly

Any questions, I would be pleased to answer.

Shalom
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Nice job Captain!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Nice job, which I had all that stuff lying around. I really like your drape cover, nice creative idea with the jagged edge. You sure you did not have help sewing that, it looks to good for a man to do it.

I have made many a table in my time and even a briefcase version, I did not find them practical for me and the magic I perform with in a show.

Magic is probably the hardest props to store and carry. I don't think anyone has found the perfect solution yet. I have even reverted back to the old foot locker method, but then I find my table tops will not fit in a foot locker. Oh, the agony! LOL
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 12:08, wmhegbli wrote:
Nice job, which I had all that stuff lying around. I really like your drape cover, nice creative idea with the jagged edge. You sure you did not have help sewing that, it looks to good for a man to do it.

Actually sir, I love to sew. We are sailors and I have a professional sailmaker's sewing machine. And I really had fun making the table.

Thanks for the kind words.
Magic Rik

Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Nice table, Hook!

And you can add another man to the sewing circle; I've done all my own since my teen years. Last large project was a 15'x30' tent!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Ekuth

Cool. My biggest was a dodger on a sailboat.
Magic Rik

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey Captain Hook,

Nice looking table. I have two questions...
1- Tell me ab the adapter for the top of the mic stand. Was that available at your local music store? Does it have a name? Or, can you provide a link?
2- When you say you pinned the adapter to the metal plate, what do you mean pinned? Is that a welding term? Did you weld it?

Again, great job...
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
1- Tell me ab the adapter for the top of the mic stand. Was that available at your local music store? Does it have a name? Or, can you provide a link?
2- When you say you pinned the adapter to the metal plate, what do you mean pinned? Is that a welding term? Did you weld it?

Thanks

1 - it is a Threaded Mic Stand Adapter, 5/8"-27 Female to 3/8" Male ** I needed the 5/7' 27 female for the end of the mic stand which has a 5/7" 27 male end.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/290927.html

2 - was going to weld it, but it fit the hole so well, that I pinned it (ball pine hammer and banged the top part into the metal)

It really is there firmly - but can always add a weld spot to it if needed.
Magic Rik

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I would like to add your metal adapter attachment method to the bottom of my favorite case. I'll attach a picture...

So, you were able to buy that piece of metal from a Lowe's Hardware (or equivalent)? Did you drill the hole in the center of the metal plate that the adapter fit into?

Click here to view attached image.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
BTW - My table has an open top feature that you might want to consider on your table. It makes it much more user friendly during stage work. Here is the picture of the case table open. You can ditch things and steal things, etc...

Click here to view attached image.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22504 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe he means the threaded adapter was peen over the plate. Meaning hammering the extended part until it flattens and makes a lip over the plate hole preventing it from falling out of the hole.

They now have thread lock glue that works to stable threaded nuts, this may work to stable the adapter or just solder spot will also work to lock the adapter.

I believe those adapters are available at Radio Shack as well.

Yes, I would be interested in obtaining plates of metal as well.

Mak Magic found a sheet metal flange for their plates, they come threaded for electrial conduit. Wish I could find these, it makes it really simple to attach.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
So, you were able to buy that piece of metal from a Lowe's Hardware (or equivalent)? Did you drill the hole in the center of the metal plate that the adapter fit into?

1 - A friend had the little hunk of 1/8, but yes - a place like Metal Warehouse or whatever you have in your area.

2 - drilled a 5/8" for the centre and four 1/8" for the holes on my drill press - but a hand drill would work too.
Magic Rik

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
BTW - My table has an open top feature that you might want to consider on your table.

Figure out where your centre of gravity will be with the case open - you may want the adapter some place other than the exact centre of the bottom.
Magic Rik

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
I believe he means the threaded adapter was peen over the plate. Meaning hammering the extended part until it flattens and makes a lip over the plate hole preventing it from falling out of the hole.

Yes - exactly - was not sure how to spell the word, but I knew how to pronounce it.
Magic Rik

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1240 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Okay. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Good job interpreting wmhedgbli. I think I have it. I'll search out the parts locally. Much appreciated...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » DIY Table / Case for performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL