The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..61~62~63~64~65..77~78~79 [Next]
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of newguy
Bats,

Was trying to give credit, not place blame.

I type corrected.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Has anyone PERFORMED this first effect for an audience? And what was the reaction?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Happily I "have" my first 'trick' from RS. Do I like it? Yeah, although I'm not head over heals for it. It's cool. Well worth $12.00. Now, I haven't had a chance to perform it. My reaction could go radically up or down when I see the lay response.

Three things:

#1- The way it's set up there is absolutely no way to have any kind of substantive discussion of the item outside the RS community itself. For better or worse they set it up that way and it's their game and their rules.

#2- What's hilarious, at least about the first trick out? I could tell you exactly what it is. I could tell you how it's done in detail and it wouldn't do you any good at all. You couldn't do it. So at least for the first 'one' the secrecy thing is quite moot.

#3- What you get is superbly crafted. The quality is really first rate. I'm talking the actual "thing" that makes the trick what it is. If everything that comes out is this quality or better then kudo's to RS.

I think the above is within the parameters set in the rules. By the by, I have no problem with the RS rules. It's not an emotional thing with me. They set 'em, I agreed, I could have walked away. I have to admit I AM looking forward to being able to interact with folks on the RS site itself.

I'll let you know how it plays.

Regards,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 05:01, Caliban wrote:
I'm thinking more about crediting than permission. It's impossible to credit an idea that was published in RS without revealing details of what was published in RS.

I could be wrong, but I don't think crediting falls within the prohibitive's of the rules. You could credit the trick without in any way saying what it is. AND, the RS routines at least with the first have credits themselves so you could use those, again without falling outside the rules.

Remember no where in the rules is it said that you can't use RS stuff to spur your own creativity. That would seem, well, somewhat against the implied spirit of the project itself!

Best,
Brad Burt
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of newguy
It is interesting that people have variations and "improvements" before they could have performed it three dozen times.

"Look at me! look at me!"

"I have ideas! I have variations!"

"How many times have you performed it"?

(silence)
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 11:53, Atom3339 wrote:
Has anyone PERFORMED this first effect for an audience? And what was the reaction?

Yes I have- this morning at work, not more than 2 hours ago. Even though I am no longer a member, I will NOT divulge what happened- I am going to keep my fat mouth shut! Isn't that a shame?
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 12:12, newguy wrote:
It is interesting that people have variations and "improvements" before they could have performed it three dozen times.

"Look at me! look at me!"

"I have ideas! I have variations!"

"How many times have you performed it"?

(silence)

newguy- Seriously, I'll bet that you yourself HAVE performed this MORE than 30 times!
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of newguy
Bats,

Not suggesting I have.

But I have performed it 13 times since Monday (and used up two more in practice)

And it got better, I got better and received stronger reactions every time.

Do I now have more ideas on how to make the performance better for me and my audiences? Yes.

Am I itching to suddenly release them in e-book, download and my new one-trick DVD? No.

I think a lot of magicians will not like Real Secrets material because judging from the first offering, you have to actually perform this stuff for real people to realize the power and impact and most "magicians" don't do that kind of thing.
jtmorris
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
158 Posts

Profile of jtmorris
"First rule of Magic Club - You don't talk about Magic Club". ;-)

Quote:
On 2012-04-04 12:30, BatsMagic wrote:

I will NOT divulge what happened- I am going to keep my fat mouth shut! Isn't that a shame?
"Looks like a camera trick!" "I had to watch it 5 times before I...still didn't figure it out" - COINTUM-LEAP

Unbelievable, visual, simple, and motivated mix of cards and coins. COINTUM-LEAP
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 14:43, jtmorris wrote:
"First rule of Magic Club - You don't talk about Magic Club". ;-)

Quote:
On 2012-04-04 12:30, BatsMagic wrote:

I will NOT divulge what happened- I am going to keep my fat mouth shut! Isn't that a shame?

Well, lets ALL just get off of this site and pressure Steve to shut it down. We don't need it. We'd all be a lot better off without it, don'tcha think?
MikeMetal2006
View Profile
Regular user
Anchorage, Alaska
111 Posts

Profile of MikeMetal2006
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 10:45, Xiqual wrote:
Why would try need your name when your address is on your avatar? Probably not too many RS peeps in Alaska!
James

Quote:
On 2012-04-04 09:44, MikeMetal2006 wrote:
I have to say I was very unhappy with the first shipment! The effect is to me more of a game or a stunt and has nothing to do with magic. I am sure I will be getting a refund as soon as real secerts finds out who I am!!! I can't believe this was considered a magic effect! I have not post here before but this whole real secerts thing so far is a joke!!!

Who says I even live in Alaska??? I am have a real secert of my own!
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
I have to say I was very unhappy with the first shipment! The effect is to me more of a game or a stunt and has nothing to do with magic.

This has "nothing to do with magic"? Really? I hate to break this to you, but this effect is a version of a CLASSIC magic effect. If you failed to pick up on that, I'm not sure I trust your judgment in general.
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
157 Posts

Profile of sevenup
I'm sure he meant his type of magic that he is used to in general. I actually had the same reaction after seeing it the first time. Then I started thinking about how to use it and now I totally see the potential in this. It is definitely a type of magic but not a typical one. I'm very excited about it to be honest since I know no one I show this to will ever have seen it before. The reactions so far have been quite good. Better than I expected.
If Max Maven has a drivers license, why doesn't he drive?
MikeMetal2006
View Profile
Regular user
Anchorage, Alaska
111 Posts

Profile of MikeMetal2006
Some will consider this magic and some will not. It is a matter of personal opinion. Just because I don't like it does mean other people will not. I just thought we were promised NEW and exciting magic. Not a rehash of an old effect.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Who says you are really even a RS subscriber? I think you are just trolling to get information.
James

Quote:
On 2012-04-04 16:22, MikeMetal2006 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 10:45, Xiqual wrote:
Why would try need your name when your address is on your avatar? Probably not too many RS peeps in Alaska!
James

Quote:
I have to say I was very unhappy with the first shipment! The effect is to me more of a game or a stunt and has nothing to do with magic. I am sure I will be getting a refund as soon as real secerts finds out who I am!!! I can't believe this was considered a magic effect! I have not post here before but this whole real secerts thing so far is a joke!!!

Who says I even live in Alaska??? I am have a real secert of my own!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MikeMetal2006
View Profile
Regular user
Anchorage, Alaska
111 Posts

Profile of MikeMetal2006
The small envelope was shipped from Folsom, California. Do that help show I am a subscriber? And the postage was printed using stamps.com. I am not trying to cause any problem, it was my opinion.
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of newguy
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 18:26, Joe Roberts wrote:
This has "nothing to do with magic"? Really? I hate to break this to you, but this effect is a version of a CLASSIC magic effect. If you failed to pick up on that, I'm not sure I trust your judgment in general.

Joe, quite right.

This effect was a favorite of Vernon and is a favorite of Masters like Tamariz and Ricky Jay.

It has never been possible to do it this way in the past.

How is this not "new" by Joe's standards?

If anyone is HONESTLY looking for an effect which is unknown to the world of magic (something that is not a vanish, transposition, divination, spectator control, etc) do they REALLY believe they are going to get 12 new to the world EFFECTS at $12 a month? Really?

Mike, I do not believe you are not just stirring it up. And my guess is that you said too much trying to prove something you did not need to.

I think that unchecked ego is going to be a membership killer for RS
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Mike,
I am just kidding with you. I apologize if it was not clear I was joking. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I have not even received mine yet.
James

Quote:
On 2012-04-04 19:24, MikeMetal2006 wrote:
The small envelope was shipped from Folsom, California. Do that help show I am a subscriber? And the postage was printed using stamps.com. I am not trying to cause any problem, it was my opinion.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 19:24, MikeMetal2006 wrote:

I knew all of that, and I'm not a subscriber. I just looked at the pic of the envelope that Mercury52 posted. Smile

(Heh. I make no accusations. Just saying anybody with access to this thread has that info!)
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
157 Posts

Profile of sevenup
Good point but I'm pretty sure mikemetal is a subscriber. It is kind of strange not knowing who is who for sure though. It should all change two days from now hopefully.
If Max Maven has a drivers license, why doesn't he drive?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Secrets » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..61~62~63~64~65..77~78~79 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL