The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » best levitation trick to purchase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Well, from other posts it says that it is "easier" to do the effect if you're wearing a jacket. Maybe that has a hint to it..?
I use the balducci levitation once in awhile but I'm really interested in this new one, the King Levitation. Maybe I'll think about it or try to figure it out myself in the future. Smile
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I might actually send for this... I've spent much more on terrible items so this won't break my bank account. If I end up getting it I'll post my opinions.
Greg

Well, what do you know? I downloaded the levitation. Here are my thoughts: It's not a new principle, but a great new spin on it. It will take a bit of practice, but it is worth it. I like a lot of the thinking that went into it. I recommend for all those that just want to add another weapon in their arsenal of magic. For seventeen bucks you get a cool idea so keep it to yourself.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
282 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Following Greg's lead, I also downloaded the King's Levitation from ellusionist.com. I own Zero Gravity, but have never taken the time to construct what needs to be constructed. I know the gist of the Balducci, though I'm not familiar with all of the details.

In terms of angles, Zero Gravity is definiately the best, because you can do it with people on three sides. However, King's Levitation is GREAT because it is impromptu, and BOTH shoes clearly rise up. There are no gimmicks to construct and have with you! I haven't tried it yet because I just watched the video moments ago. I know it will take some practice (nothing grueling, just practice). The only drawbacks are that 1) you must wear a jacket (no, you are not hiding behind it during the levitation—you just need it for one aspect of the routine). This isn't a drawback because I wear a tux when I do magic, and wear a sport coat and tie at work. 2) the spectators really need to look at the trick from one direct angle. As long as you can control the situation in terms of angles, this seems like a real powerful illusion, different in details from both Zero Gravity and Balducci. I'm glad I downloaded it. Thanks to Ben7217 above who posted the note about this. From what I know about the Balducci, this seems like a huge improvement.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Has anybody purchased or seen a demo of something called "Wild Levitation"? It appears to be a similar principle to Fearson's, but from a different angle that the body appears to 'float' on, and also requires a jacket. But it's cheaper than Fearson's and seems to have virtually the same effect, except that one shoe must be covered by the jacket, whereas Fearson's requires sewing the pants and other prep work that to me isn't wearable for impromptu situations.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how this compares to Zero Gravity/Pocket Levitator, which I really haven't seen ... are these basically just rising shoe effects with a shoehorn of some sort?
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
I've just downloaded and seen King's Levitation video and I think it is really good - very effective. Anyway, I don't know the details of the others levitations so I cannot really compare. I think I will use this one, after some practice.

Gio
dmb1025
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of dmb1025
is the king levatation that much different from the balducci?, and that much better? Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I own several of the levitation's previously discussed, and in their own way I like each of them.

It really depends on the location, the audience, the prep time, and of course your own personal preference. I like to use a ("modified") "pocket levitator" when I'm in a pinch. If I'm performing in my living room or someplace similar then I'll use the "Fearson's Box" of "Fantastic Flotation". The "Balducci" and "Zero Gravity" are also pretty cool depending on the angles and so forth of course. If I wanna do something a little silly perhaps I might perform "Looy's Sooperman" from the Paul Harris in the book Close-up Entertainer.

If I want to levitate someone other then myself then most of the time I'll stick to something along the lines of a U.F Grant levitation or perhaps the "Suspension Levitation" in the Mark Wilson Book Encyclopedia Of Magic.

Again IMO it depends on what your going for, this is a question where you can get some great solid opinions but you'll have to find the levitation that is right for you, and what you wanna accomplish.

Good Luck !!!! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Sorry if this is off-topic, but it was mentioned in the very first post of this topic. What is Ground Zero, and where can I read about it? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks for the comments on King.

-Corey
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>I heard wild levitation is suppose to be
>good. My friend bought his here.

Thanks. I did buy it, and it seems to be a decent effect, but I have yet to perform it. The instructions ought to really have illustrations ... they refer to a lot of positions, but you need a heck of a lot of conceptual dexterity to figure out what they're talking about.
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Ok, thank you davekilpatrick, that really cleared up somethings for me about the King Levitation.
Thanks.Smile
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
JoshL
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of JoshL
Hey, guys,

Can anyone tell me where I can find:
Spirits in the Sky,
Dracula rising,
Neo Rising,
Balducci Version 2

Thanks. I am compiling a full list of levitation and their secret. So far i have about 9 different levitations.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
282 Posts

Why are you "compiling a full list of levitations?"
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Guys, I gotta tell ya. Self-levetations are not only angly, but they are also CONDITIONAL. You can't "just do them". The spectator's cannot know what is going to happen before hand. Lighting is a factor as well. a darker atmosphere is better than a brightly light one.

I have "seen 'em all" (or close to it anyway), and the best one, IMHO, is still the Balducci. A common mistake that guys make when performing this effect is that they try to go as high as they can. Only go about one or one and a half inches off the ground. Height is a non-issue. I mean, ask any one else to lift themselves off the ground even a half inch. Besides the spectators memory will embellish the effect, and a week later they will swear that you were a foot off the ground, and that they saw both feet in the air, etc.
Smile
JoshL
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of JoshL
davekilpatrick:

To be honest...FOr the sloe purpose of my enjoyment. Yes, I am wierd.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
282 Posts

Just afraid you're preparing the next Fox special exposing all the ways to self-levitate. (It's too bad we have become paranoid.)
JoshL
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of JoshL
Let's just kill the MAsked MAgician....Smile
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I saw the late Bob McCalister perform
his levitation effect at a Magic Convention.
in New jersey.It is still the best I have seen for parlour or stage.
I forgot the name of it but he used a small
cloth and a bag.there could not be anyone behind him or at the sides.
Has anyone seen it performed or know the name of it?
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-08-11 09:18, charliemagic wrote:
I saw the late Bob McCalister perform
his levitation effect at a Magic Convention.
in New jersey.It is still the best I have seen for parlour or stage.
I forgot the name of it but he used a small
cloth and a bag.there could not be anyone behind him or at the sides.
Has anyone seen it performed or know the name of it?

Maybe this is the levitation called, "In-Flight"? What happens is you stand in a type of milk crate(it's not Fearson's crate levitation) and you pull up a cloth in front of you and you "float" up and down behind the cloth. It looks like the spectators or audience with this has to be in front of you and not behind or the sides. It's not the pocket levitator either.
Is this what you was talking about? I hope I helped you in some way.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5283 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bob actually performed one of the oldest self-levitations in the book. It is found in the U.F. Grant pamphlet called “Bodies In Orbit”. The levitation is titled “Self-Rise. It is the one that Martin Lewis used to perform in his club act. There is a rather expensive version using an “open-sided” cardboard box and drape out based on this principle. It is old wine in a new bottle!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Link
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Link
I have been wanting a good self levitation so far my fav is king rising it rocks but I want one that is a little more inpromptu but not balducci!

PS:corey king your levitation is the best People just stare at me like "what?" Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » best levitation trick to purchase (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL