The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » best levitation trick to purchase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
thecaddie22
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of thecaddie22
I have been reading alot latey about both ground zero and pocket levatator. Which one is better? They are both around the same price. There is also one that sells for about 40 dollars but I cn't remember the name of it. Input from those who have expreience with these or others is appreciated
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4224 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
In my opinion, just learn how to do the standard Balducci.

It's perfectly impromptu, and will often have the same psychological impact on your spectators as any of the gimmicked 'enhancements'.

If you're performing in a situation where you have time to prepare, then there are far better levitations/suspensions than Ground Zero or Pocket Levitator.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I second the Balducci! Never got on with Zero Gravity. Pocket levitator isn't very good, according to some of my colleagues.
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
If performed well the balduci-lev is great. Watch your angle's and don't do it for more than 3 people. Then let them spread the word and don't do it again for the same people. The levitation blaine did was not the one you saw,but this one! Smile
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
masterofthecoin
View Profile
New user
Michigan
13 Posts

Profile of masterofthecoin
I'm putting together a small street act and was looking into getting Zero Gravity by Mike Bent...but I'm not sure. What are your suggestions on the best, most reliable, leviation on the market? I'm shying away from the Balducci because most people know how's its done thanks to the masked street magician. Also, I think seeing BOTH feet come off the ground is much more killer to an audience. Smile
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
With Zero Gravity the angles are vastly improved. That allows larger audiences to watch you levitate. Also, you don`t have to be as concerned with the exact placement of the spectators.

You may also want to check out Steve Fearson`s "Fantastic Floatation". It looks pretty good to me. I`m sure it is discussed somewhere here in the Magic Cafe. You can see it performed at http://www.downloadmagic.com/ .
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I was a bit dissapointed with zero gravity, it is clever, but for someone who will be out on the street perfroming and not be as easily able to "set up" and clean up, as it takes a bit too much modification to "something" to make it comfortable to keep walking around doing magic.

While being done, it is pretty good, but in my opinion - it is only a little more angle proof than a regular Balducci. Butregardless, I wouldnt want to continue working the street without "ditching the gimmick" which would be hard to do (in my opinion)

As for Fanstastic flotation it takes amuch more "complicated" gimmick. I do not own one, but think for a street performer - it would not be a good thing. Fearson's Box Floation on the other hand also takes a gimmick (the box), but it is much easier to get in and out of, and can even double to be hold things for you. (this will make sense if you have seen it)

Balducci has limits, but for impromptu levitation - it is clean amnd can be pretty amazing.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
I have seen Fantastic Floatation performed on the street. You have to be careful and choose the right spot but it can be done. Done properly, it`s a great way to get attention and start your act.

Risto
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-05-18 08:36, BroDavid wrote:
I was a bit dissapointed with zero gravity, it is clever, but for someone who will be out on the street perfroming and not be as easily able to "set up" and clean up, as it takes a bit too much modification to "something" to make it comfortable to keep walking around doing magic.
While being done, it is pretty good, but in my opinion - it is only a little more angle proof than a regular Balducci. Butregardless, I wouldnt want to continue working the street without "ditching the gimmick" which would be hard to do (in my opinion)

I've done Zero Gravity on the street and it is great. You wear "the gimmick" all day. There is nothing to get in and out of. If you combine the gimmick with a black piece of material that you lay on the ground it becomes even more angle proof. You can also wear something inside of the gimmick to reduce..er..treadware? It does not have to be done exposed to the elements if you get my meaning. Smile

You just need to go beyond the manuscript a little bit to bend the gimmick to fit the street. I believe the bit about a black rug or ground cloth is also mentioned in the manuscript as a way to improve angles.

IMHO it is MUCH better than a regular Balducci as it can play for a larger audience. Also as a note of interest in the recut of David Blaine's first special blaine uses Zero Gravity in the shot on the steps.

It is a great trick.
Quote:
As for Fanstastic flotation it takes amuch more "complicated" gimmick. I do not own one, but think for a street performer - it would not be a good thing. Fearson's Box Floation on the other hand also takes a gimmick (the box), but it is much easier to get in and out of, and can even double to be hold things for you. (this will make sense if you have seen it)

I built one of these boxes and it has many more angle problems than Zero Gravity does. You also can not use it to hold props, you would ruin the gimmick.

But I will tell you, I've done this trick in parlor shows and it absoloutly astonishes people.

It is a great trick just not for street shows especially a circle show.

Quote:

Balducci has limits, but for impromptu levitation - it is clean amnd can be pretty amazing.

The balducci is hard to beat for an impromptu levitation and when done right will have people floored.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I almost completely agree with Danny Hustle and since I really havent used Zero Gravity, I read the manuscript and tossed it aside, I certainly will humbly defer to his actual experience on that one.

As for Fearson's Box, I have a "tent fold" sign that goes into my Box first - and comes out last.

This allows me a couple of luxuries in that the gimmick is not revealed when the box is sitting awaiting a performance, and the gimmick is protected protected against anything that might be otherwise damaging.

I like the idea of putting out a sign and this one is a nice fit to sit approriately in the box, and it stands on its own near my perfomance signaling a high flying act, and coincidently cutting down on the available lines of vison and bad angles. I have thought of making another one also to give even more cover, but so far havent needed it.

BTW I use a plastic gimmick so although it needs certain protections, it is a bit more rugged and with my sign in place the gimmick itself doesnt acutally get touched by anything that I store in it.

So for me it does double duty. And it isnt just another prop to handle. It handles some of my other props too.

But we do come to the same conclusion, if you need clean impromptu, Balducci will amaze!

BroDavid
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-05-19 21:28, BroDavid wrote:
As for Fearson's Box, I have a "tent fold" sign that goes into my Box first - and comes out last.

Wow, this is brilliant. I have used a flat sign (per instructions) which of course, is the basis for my previous opinion.

By using a tent fold it is a whole new story. Such a simple, but elegant, soloution. Thanks for sharing it and do you mind if I make one for my box?

Just a great, great, idea.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Be my Guest friend!

If I dont want something used by others, I just dont share it Smile And I do have a few tricks that fall into that category.

But this one is - as you say is simple, and i find it to be effective. And I am honored that you would want to use the concept!

BroDavid
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-05-20 14:53, BroDavid wrote:
Be my Guest friend!

If I dont want something used by others, I just dont share it Smile And I do have a few tricks that fall into that category.

But this one is - as you say is simple, and i find it to be effective. And I am honored that you would want to use the concept!

BroDavid

Thanks a million!

Best,

Dan-

Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
I love performing Neo-rise (got mine from http://www.alakazam.co.uk). It's not as 'clean' as the Balducci, but much more angle proof as you can have spectators around almost 180 degrees. The gimmick is also comfortable to wear (I used to wear it to my day job, just in case Smile)
Majack
View Profile
New user
South Africa
8 Posts

Profile of Majack
I highly recommend both Fearson's Floatation and his newest release where you "levitate" in a beer crate. We used both of these for a Red Bull promotion recently ("Red Bull Gives You Wings") and got phenomenal reactions from the audience. They're also both pretty easy to use (even on the street), and are killer effects if combined.

Just my two cents worth...

JACQUES Smile
Ben7217
View Profile
New user
Happy Magic
20 Posts

Profile of Ben7217
I don't know if any of you guys like ellusionist because I know I really don't. Except the new levitation there is genious. For 18 dollars a completly gimmick free levitation where both feet can be seen coming off the ground and your back isn't turned. Both toes rise right off the ground. It might sound hard to believe as it was for me. But I decided to actually buy it and well it is amazing.
http://www.ellusionist.com Look for the king lev. right on the main page watch the preview if you do not believe me. It is amazing.
Andrew Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Andrew Wong
Which book or tape can I learn the Balducci levitation?? Smile
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Michael Maxwell explains the Balducci levitation on his Self levitation video and also on "Learn to levitate". You may want to check http://www.magicsmith.com for more details.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Doc Hilford's levitation video offers not only the Balducci but several other great alternatives, all impromptu. Excellent value for the money on that one!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-05-29 22:50, Ben7217 wrote:
I don't know if any of you guys like ellusionist because I know I really don't. Except the new levitation there is genious. For 18 dollars a completly gimmick free levitation where both feet can be seen coming off the ground and your back isn't turned. Both toes rise right off the ground. It might sound hard to believe as it was for me. But I decided to actually buy it and well it is amazing.
http://www.ellusionist.com Look for the king lev. right on the main page watch the preview if you do not believe me. It is amazing.

I have one question: Why do we never fully see the whole shot of him rising and only get close ups of his feet? Does this have to do with how the effect is accomplished? It looks amazing, but I wonder if you have to direct them to look at only your feet and not look up at you.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » best levitation trick to purchase (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL