We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Dark Side Of Stage Hypnosis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
georgewkaye
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of georgewkaye
Many years ago I witnessed a performance by a French 'Hypnotist' called Paul Goldin. He was excellent and it was a very good show.
I don't know if he could not get a licence or maybe the times were rough on hypnotists, but the show was billed as a demonstration of the '6th sense'.

Paul Goldin swore on a stack of bibles that what he was doing was not hypnosis and he had a string of doctors who swore that he wasn't using hypnosis - but he was! He seemed to get away with just telling people that it was something else. Smile
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Jonathan Royle spent 6 months in jail on a botched publicity stunt. Something about fraudulent stones that he brought to a radio station. Nothing that keeps his advice about Hypnosis from being relevant or useful. However, having many of his tapes, I would never use his as a model of the type of routines to use in your show. He's mainly R+ rated. More + if you know what I mean.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Jbbreckin
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Jbbreckin
Any one know where I can find a full steam of this program I have been looking for ages ?
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2003, georgewkaye wrote:
Many years ago I witnessed a performance by a French 'Hypnotist' called Paul Goldin. He was excellent and it was a very good show.
I don't know if he could not get a licence or maybe the times were rough on hypnotists, but the show was billed as a demonstration of the '6th sense'.

Paul Goldin swore on a stack of bibles that what he was doing was not hypnosis and he had a string of doctors who swore that he wasn't using hypnosis - but he was! He seemed to get away with just telling people that it was something else. Smile

I knew Paul Goldin fairly well. He was a fantastic showman and one of the greatest stage hypnotists I have ever seen. Very charismatic----and yes.....he always denied he was doing hypnosis. It was nothing to do with not getting a licence because he didn't need one in Ireland where he worked and he had worked for decades like that. He actually implied in his advertising that he was using psychic mind control rather than hypnosis.
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2003, MagicalPirate wrote:
Jonathan Royle spent 6 months in jail on a botched publicity stunt. Something about fraudulent stones that he brought to a radio station. Nothing that keeps his advice about Hypnosis from being relevant or useful. However, having many of his tapes, I would never use his as a model of the type of routines to use in your show. He's mainly R+ rated. More + if you know what I mean.

I really think I should defend poor Jonathon Royle (one of his names) since I doubt anyone else will. I do agree that he is quite mad and his marketing methods are on the border of insanity. However, his knowledge of hypnosis is encyclopedic and should not be underestimated. He is a very decent person and would try his best to help anyone that needs it. He is a very decent family man and a very good father. As for the jail nonsense that was as a result of being framed by a crooked journalist who is now in jail himself for that dreaded deed and many others. Furthermore the incident happened decades ago when he was young and foolish. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say somewhat less foolish than he is nowadays. His hypnosis show is (or should I say was) indeed fairly horrific and vulgar but then he isn't the only one who performs in that manner. The difference is that he did that kind of stuff decades ago but doesn't (as far as I know) do it any more. In fact I don't think he performs much any more and gives his shows away to other people. He still makes his living through hypnosis but I think more on the training side of things and the books he writes.

He is really not as bad as everyone thinks he is. I suspect you would like him better if he didn't spam everyone so much!
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Djin
Two observations. First, Trancemaker may be Johnathan Royle's newest nom de screen. Second, I listened to a couple episodes of Royle's podcast and I think Trancemaker has a point. People grow over time. I know I'm not the same immature young man I was thirty years ago.

I listened to his interview with Richard Nongard. I thought it was an interesting conversation.
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2021, Djin wrote:
Two observations. First, Trancemaker may be Johnathan Royle's newest nom de screen. Second, I listened to a couple episodes of Royle's podcast and I think Trancemaker has a point. People grow over time. I know I'm not the same immature young man I was thirty years ago.

I listened to his interview with Richard Nongard. I thought it was an interesting conversation.

I am most certainly NOT Jonathon Royle! The very idea of speaking with a working class Coronation Street accent fills me with the utmost horror!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2611 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
No, that's not Royle. That's another user that usually only lasts a couple days before getting banned.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it is NOT him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2003, georgewkaye wrote:

I do have a story to tell about Paul Goldin. I was aghast and amazed at the same time at his effrontery over a certain incident when I saw him perform at a theatre in Dublin. I didn't know whether to be horrified or amused. He had a row of subjects in hypnosis and decided to deepen the trance by "reciting an ancient Hindu mantra" or so he said. He did recite something but it certainly wasn't a Hindu mantra. It was a very sacred prayer in Hebrew known as Kaddish which is actually a prayer for mourners at a funeral. To Jewish people this is a very sacred prayer for the dead. It is not something you recite for entertainment on a public stage. Since he had a row of volunteers in trance looking as if they were dead this must have appealed to some quirk in his sense of humour. Luckily he did this in Ireland where there are very few Jewish people in the populace so hardly anyone would know what he was saying. However, if it had occurred anywhere else there would have been uproar about it.

For all I know I might have been the only person in the audience who knew what he was up to. Anyway here is the prayer in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dUVhQxLDM
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Djin
If you all say Trancemaker isn't Royle I defer to your collective wisdom and experience.
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
I have strong evidence not available to anyone else that I am not Jonathon Royle. In fact after considering the said evidence very carefully indeed I am utterly convinced that I am not he.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would bet a LOT of money tracemaster is not Royle.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
I am quite sure that Trancemaster is not Jonathon Royle. However, I am not quite so sure about tracemaster!

That reminds me. I haven't even told Jonathon about this discussion. I probably won't otherwise he will be tempted to spam us all out of existence!

Uh oh! I did tell him after all! The temptation was too much! Try not to be too rude about him....................
Trancemaker
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Trancemaker
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2021, Djin wrote:
If you all say Trancemaker isn't Royle I defer to your collective wisdom and experience.

Indeed. I have decided to make the title of my book "The Royal Road to Stage Hypnotism" NOT "The Royle Road to Stage Hypnotism"! I do wish to sell some copies after all!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Dark Side Of Stage Hypnosis (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL