The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eye of the Idol (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Besides asking the Statue is there a way to you tell if a Eye of the Idol is new and not a used?
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Check the base of the statue, and the Acrylic plate it sits on. A used one will definitely show some signs of wear/scratches.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Right, the clear acrylic parts should show no scratches. Also check the gemstones and its bases for signs of use. The blue box itself came unselaed and untaped, so this is no indicator.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I just got in an Eye of the Idol that was used without outer packaging but with the inner tray.

Interestingly the one I had bought in 2003 and I though was new was possible used.

The 2003 version had no tray and the instructions were photocopied. Also the statue is black in the 2003 version and dark gray in the opened one. I bought it from someplace called the Magic Garage Sale which does not ring a bell.

The one from 2003 shows no sign of wear, but there was considerable wear in the used version I just got as mentioned above.

I also just noticed that the Mini Morphosis that I bought from Hank Lee in 2003 has photocopied instructions.

Another trick I bought from Hank Lee in 2003 was Clean Cut in the plastic box but in place of the card was a blue photocopied piece.

I guess there was a bit of monkeying around with the packaging going on back then.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
You can always spot a NEW Eye of the Idol by what's mentioned above AND by the existence of packing materials:

1. The crystals should be bagged.
2. The top of the cup has a styrofoam insert that prevents it from scratching the acrylic base.
3. The instructions should be neatly folded and free of handling or other defects.

As mentioned, they weren't sealed and they are often sold new when in fact they are very much used. I just bought another one, I have a few, and the guy said he didn't know better. I complained about it and he refunded me $20 to my surprise. I recommend asking about this before hand if you're expecting brand new.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Good Info.

I heard about the bagged crystals but never heard about the styrofoam.

In my saved box from my 2003 purchased Mini Morph I had two bags. One seems to be for the two balls. Should there be another cello bag?
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
How about the black vs the gray statue?
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2012-03-02 21:25, The Amazing Azzam wrote:
Good Info.

I heard about the bagged crystals but never heard about the styrofoam.

In my saved box from my 2003 purchased Mini Morph I had two bags. One seems to be for the two balls. Should there be another cello bag?

Sorry, I misled you a bit, it's really NOT a piece of styrofoam, I can't think of the name of the stuff off-hand right now, it's a VERY THIN sheet of styrofoam like material.

Perhaps I'll take photos and post.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2012-03-02 21:28, The Amazing Azzam wrote:
How about the black vs the gray statue?

I believe the Black is Japanese only.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
What's the difference if it's new or slightly used? The moment you put the head on the plastic and play with it, it becomes used. None of the boxes were ever sealed.

I have purchased a number of Tenyo items that came with photocopies of the instructions. These are not the shrink-wrapped or blister-packed items, but older things which came in a box, like Eye of the Idol, Bare Bones, and that trick with the foam flowers whose name I can't recall at the moment.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 16:28, Richard Kaufman wrote:
What's the difference if it's new or slightly used?

All my comments are based on getting items for my collection (which I want to be new) or getting items to trade with others.

I would hate to do a trade with a guy thinking I had a new item and sending him something that was obviously not new as which just happened with Houdini.

If I am going to open and play with/perform the item, then none of it really matters, even the Japanese vs English packaging issue doesn't come into play then.

AA
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 16:28, Richard Kaufman wrote:
What's the difference if it's new or slightly used? The moment you put the head on the plastic and play with it, it becomes used. None of the boxes were ever sealed.

I have purchased a number of Tenyo items that came with photocopies of the instructions. These are not the shrink-wrapped or blister-packed items, but older things which came in a box, like Eye of the Idol, Bare Bones, and that trick with the foam flowers whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Agree.

It's really only relevant if you're building a collection based on the criteria of brand new and for principle sake. By principle, I mean that eBay sellers quite often inaccurately describe their items.

I'm like you Richard, I like to play with the stuff, but I also have another part of my Tenyo
Collection that is brand new in package (BNIP).
ThatsCool
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
I'm with the same thought as Amazing.

I usually get two of each item so I can open and perform one and keep the other new and unopened for collecting sake Smile .
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
It sounds like Houdini has NIP and opened tricks intermingled in his collection.

I have three Tenyo collections that I keep track of separately in Excel.

One I call the Collection which is mostly New in English Near Mint packaging. There are items in there that are in Japanese packaging or slightly damaged packaging, but they get upgraded when I can find a better version.

The second is called Performers which are all opened and played with and performed. Some have packages that are stored away some don't.

The third is call Trade/Sell/Speculation which are mostly NIP.

So for the first and third collection NIEP is very important. For the second collection the only thing that is important is that the trick is in good working condition.

AA
The Amazing Mr. H
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Mr. H
I am heading to Japan in May. My daughter's Japanese friend has brought me several Tenyo variants back when she went back to see her father. I've mapped out a lot of stores (on 2 islands) in which she has found some great Tenyo. Her Dad helped her as he is a magician with a heart for some items which I have been able to provide from the USA. He has indicated that The black Eye of the Idol is not too difficult for him to buy. Of course, I also have my heart set on some Hibiki whisky!
"Forget the bomb..."
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2928 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Good luck Mr H! Sounds like it will be a great trip... perhaps bring back 5 Idols and you can pay for the whole trip!<g>

John
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I'd love to go on a trip to Japan, enjoy that right must be sublime.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There are many excellent reasons for going to Japan, but buying items from Tenyo is probably the least of them!
The Amazing Mr. H
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Mr. H
Quote:
On 2012-04-25 19:07, Richard Kaufman wrote:
There are many excellent reasons for going to Japan, but buying items from Tenyo is probably the least of them!

How 'bout the Hibiki whisky?
"Forget the bomb..."
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2928 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
"Whiskey and Tenyo" sounds like a good name for a novel...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eye of the Idol (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL