The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Victorianmagic.com - looking for thoughts, ideas, and criticisms to make it better (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
Hello fellow brothers in magic!

I have just launched a website for some shows that I am performing in Southern California and would love it if some of you could visit the site and offer suggestions on making it better. It is always good to get a perspective from others. Especially since I can only view on my system and other individuals may have different internet settings, browser types, screen sizes, taste, better eyesight, better taste, etc.

The site address is victorianmagic.com (victorianmagick.com) will also link to it in a couple of days.

Thanks for all of your ideas, thoughts, and suggestions!!

Victor

"thehat"
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
It is a very nice looking site indeed, and not much is to be criticised, besides of it takes quite long to load (even with DSL).
I do not want to imagine how long it would take to load this for someone who only has ISDN or a good old modem ...
(-> Probably an "Intro page" with chooseable HTML-only version, for the 56k guys ;-D )

Olso when everything is sliding also the Performance location should slide away again, instead of just popping into nothing when hitting the "x".
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Loaded fine for me. No delays.

SO CLOSE but missed the mark.

The site is beautiful, classy, elegant..........but boring.

( typical web surfers attitude below )

I want info! I want eye candy. I want instant details. Photos! I want to know about this classy performer and what I will experience and I want it without 2 hrs of reading fine print. I want more photos like that good one used in the header. I want more visuals and less text. I am lazy and if you want my money you need to capture my interest quicker and not ask me to do too much digging/reading for what you are SELLING.

( end typical web surfers attitude )

Victor....... I normally don't comment on these requests as I don't have the time. In this case I did because I love the idea of this show and wish you well with it. The site does need more in the way of graphics of YOU and the experience. Way too much text for me and I suspect many others. Your main photo ROCKS..... the site needs more of that imagery to sell it.

Best,

Tim
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Thanks Jerome...I am going to spend the weekend cleaning up all of the code and media file sizes and it should launch faster next week. And on the popups I want to be sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that if primary things slide, then all other things should slide for consistency (versus fade in/out, appear, etc.)? Thanks for the suggestion!

Tim...I completely agree with your feedback. Especially after visiting your site and experiencing it's imagery and aesthetics! I have a good deal of raw video and photos and am going to rethink some aspects. Probably change a tab or two to "gallery" and "bio". Thanks for the excellent idea!

Respectfully,

Victor
"Do what you love...

- Confucius
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2012-02-24 14:22, Victor Ian Smith wrote:

Tim...I completely agree with your feedback. Especially after visiting your site and experiencing it's imagery and aesthetics! I have a good deal of raw video and photos and am going to rethink some aspects. Probably change a tab or two to "gallery" and "bio". Thanks for the excellent idea!

Respectfully,

Victor

Glad to be of help Victor. The show/approach of yours is something that I would as a consumer WANT to experience and that's why I offered my 2 cents for what its worth. ( maybe only 2 cents but its the thoughts that count ..lol)

Please keep us posted. So far it looks very promising. You have captured a certain look that makes me want to see MORE.

Good Luck,
Tim
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

I would welcome and love to hear more ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for improving my site!

with warm regards,

Victor

:thehat:
"Do what you love...

- Confucius
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When was there a k in magic? Doing a Crowley type thing there for adults only?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Victor,
I enjoyed perusing your site. We have mutual interests.
We should talk connect as to bringing you further down
the coast here to, the holy city of San Diego.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Jonathan...yes, trying to add a little different element with the "k".

If possible...maybe the word Magick can be redefined (though not much has change in 40 or so years since Crowley came along.

For the purpose of my shows...this is my definition (which is on the program)

Magick - The art and science of focusing your will and emotions to effect change both in the world around you and the world within you. Magick is neither good nor evil, positive nor negative. It is the use of magick that determines the path it will take. Magick is taking something that you visualize in your mind, and bringing it into being in the physical world. Magick is the mystery that lies in the secret soul of the world. It is the essence of creation. What we imagine, we have the power to create!

The power of Magick is within us all... (cue spooky music)

It isn't so much adult (13+ ok) but there is a seance and some effects have a bit of the bizarre flavor

thanks for checking it out!

Victor

"Do what you love...

- Confucius
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I like it!!! I love the whole Victorian age theme; especially
with a taste of Steamed in it...

In general, I liked the webpage. I think most people have
pretty fast networks (at least your demographic should);
and the page loads fine for me. I like the whole style and
demeanor about it.

With that said, with a quick glance, it looks reminiscent
to the Magic Castle type of look. Also, I got more of a feel
that this was more about spiritualism...

Technically...

When you select the "CAST" menu option and then hit "more".
You get the nice parchment paper description of the cast member.
But when I hit the next menu option; I expected that page to
go away instead of having to hit the "X" which I barely
recognized as what I had to do to get rid of that and see
the other pages. Not sure if other people would realize that.

My guess the "ticketleap" page is not completely setup until
you go live?

Just curious, is this live yet or a work in progress?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Devious,

I have definitely considered San Diego. It would be great if they could bring back the Villa Montezuma. I have had dreams of performing there.

The Britt-Scripps Inn is an option.

Victor

"Do what you love...

- Confucius
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Solrak29,

Thanks for the input regarding the pop-ups. Got to figure that one out. Flash is tricky.

The show is about 25% magic, 35% mind-reading, and 40% manifestations (spiritualism exposed and real seance). I am currently working out all of the dates and we should be opening up the ticket sales in about 5-6 weeks. Getting there but still a work in progress...

Victor
"Do what you love...

- Confucius
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Very nice site. Took a while to come up. Nice music too. Need a Undertaker with a sense of humor?
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
You are not going to like this...

But using Flash is outdated.
It's large and bulky, and search engines have hard time finding keywords with it.
If you want all that fancy stuff, use the new HTML or JQuery.

Also, music on a site in no good.
Not everyone wants to listen to your music.
And when it takes time for it to load, people get discouraged.

Other than that...
It's a very pretty site.
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
65 Posts

Thanks Randi...you are right. I am attempting to get my site at least trimmed so that it loads faster. The music will probably be removed since that is part of the file size issues. Maybe I will be able to convert this site to something using JQuery not too far down the road.

Victor
"Do what you love...

- Confucius
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I like the look of the site - very reminiscent of the Magic Castle site.

My only complaints are the time it takes to load initially, and the clicking/sliding sounds whenever you click on a button.

Makes me want to see the show.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Victorianmagic.com - looking for thoughts, ideas, and criticisms to make it better (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL