The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » QR Code Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
So, I had an idea of printing up some t-shirts with a large QR code on the back. Next time someone is standing near you and scans it with their smart device it takes them to a video that plays and you are on the video welcoming them and invite them to play along in a fun magical experiment. They are ran through an effect dealing with a few questions or whatever but then they have to tap you on the shoulder at the end. As you turn around the first words out of your mouth is the answer to the effect. So for example you could do a force on the screen ala Copperfield and when they tap you on the shoulder, you turn around and the card is in your mouth or on the front of your shirt. Or better yet, you are within an earshot of listening to this person watching the video and as it gets to the end you can then say, "BTW, was your card the ____ of _____?"

Just some thoughts but I like the idea of doing a promo by having someone interact and you not having to initiate it. Feels like a live audition. Thoughts?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Good idea in theory.

However I don't think very many people will scan it.
Out of those that do, fewer will wait till the video loads and finishes playing.
Out of those that wait, how many will actually start up the dialogue?
Out of those that want to ask about their card, will you still be there to answer their question?

I don't see many scenarios where this would work.

But like I said, it sounds great if it all came together.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Realistically I guess you have a point. There could be some text above the code saying "I can read your mind in 30 seconds! Try me!"

Like I said, just an idea. I don't even do mentalism. I'm a close up guy and also do design/marketing/promtion.

Thanks for your comments.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I definitely think this has potential. It's just gonna need some ironing out. If you use a YouTube video that people can only watch with the URL and that's what is tied to the QR code, you can track how many people are watching the video. Even if they aren't coming up to you. That should give you an idea of how many people watch the video to how many people tap your shoulder. That way if people are scanning it, and not coming up to you, you can change the video to make it more "tv special".
Weird is part of the job.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Won't know until you try it.

Is this only for fun or promo, advertising? Depending on what you want to use it for, you can design it to fit your needs. I like the idea.
Life of Magic!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
This might work well on postcards and it doesn't have to take-up the entire card.
paulmagie
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
4 Posts

Profile of paulmagie
I like the idea, I'm also very fond of QR Code. I was thinking about printing some QR on stickers laber than lands on the back of a signed card (ala Chicago, or for an Ambitious final), With all my information above, and the QR just as an "extra" piece of magic, but still don't know what to put behind the code (don't want something cheap).
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-27 13:56, Leland wrote:
Won't know until you try it.

Is this only for fun or promo, advertising? Depending on what you want to use it for, you can design it to fit your needs. I like the idea.

Both! The page it directs them to would be on your site as a hidden page. However, it would also have a "learn more" or "like" button for Facebook. Also, once they scan it, the address would be stored in their phones browser cache.

Like I said, there's definitely potential here just have to have the best application.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » QR Code Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL