The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin Routines (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Guys, Bag 4 Life just doesn't do it for me. I still look at tricks from a Layman's point of view and would shrug, "So what? Doctored plastic bag." Even if that isn't how the trick is done. My mind would go there. I'd rather see an effect that looks like real magic.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
70 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Maybe it's about time for this thread to be resurrected?
I recently got a cheap split coin and am well impressed, its a lovely gimmick but there does seem to be a lack of routines or at least, there's hardly much talk about this fine gimmick on magic sites and even -gasp!- youtube. People don't talk about this in the way that they talk about other well known coin gimmicks. I wonder why that is after so many years since its invention? Is it because there are very few effects that this gimmick is required for? I mean to say, effects that you can do with this gimmick can perhaps also be done using a shell and could it be that that is the preferred method, to use a shell, therefore no one bothers trying things out with this and so no ideas develop?
I'm just trying to figure out the reason for the apparent lack of interest in this..any ideas?

Anyway, I am holding out for a copy of Craig Pettys' DVD but until I come across one (which is proving difficult and I refuse to settle for a video download for $30) I would love to have any ideas for effects or routines using this gimmick!? Can anyone name some or point me in the direction of some? I quickly realised that this gimmick can be a substitute for a shell and so can be used in most effects requiring one but are there any effects that this gimmick truly shines with, or outperforms other gimmicked coins at?
Smile
.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile


.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

.
You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
820 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I carry a split coin as well as a regular coin and at times include a jumbo coin to do the big finish .
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9090 Posts

Profile of funsway
I had never seen a Split Coin before creating nay new Sleights and Effects for TUC. One of my interest there was the ability to toss the gaff around,
and this is true of the Split also. Plus, the Split has a special advantage of a semi-nest on the palm when open --
it is automatically in a good display position for both coins without any thumb movement.

Thus, many of the Effects designed and published for the TUC can use the Split Coin with a bit of imagination. (See T.U.C. Appreciation)

For me, the phrase, "very few effects that this gimmick is required for" runs cold. If the Split Coin is viewed as seed of creativity it is "hot."

While writing this I thought of several interesting applications. Smile

Hey, TwoCan, can you make a Split with an English Penny or Centavo on the inside? The teflon might make both sides being a visible coin impossible,
but I can imagine many interesting applications of such a C/S gaff.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
dj
View Profile
Special user
958 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On May 28, 2021, funsway wrote:
Hey, TwoCan, can you make a Split with an English Penny or Centavo on the inside? The teflon might make both sides being a visible coin impossible,
but I can imagine many interesting applications of such a C/S gaff.


I think the N4 Coin Set is what you are looking for?
https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-N4-Co......ick.html

https://youtu.be/AER3xzMMyac



Darko
Harle
View Profile
New user
Longmont, CO
10 Posts

Profile of Harle
Certainly not an original idea or one exclusive to this gaff, but depending on the conditions often I prefer them to any other gimmick for a very clean 3Fly. If I'm not warmed up, or someone catches me "off duty" and asks to see something, I feel it's easier to get clean results in a slightly less prepared performance.

Though that could easily be my own inexperience with the other options talking...
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
70 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Great to read the replies folks, interesting as always. I have a copy of Craig Pettys Split Happens DVD winging its way towards my home as I type. I am hoping to get it tomorrow or Friday and then I can get stuck into it at the weekend.
I am absolutely loving this split coin!
I didn't realise that the more you mess around with it, the more you realise how adaptable this gimmick is. It really can be used instead of other gimmicks, where those other gimmicks are the usual method.
Funsway, when I said "few effects that the gimmick is required for.." I was meaning that it seems that way, I was trying to say that magicians seem to have left this gimmick behind because they perhaps feel that effects can be done with the already existing gimmicks and therefore they surmise that it is not 'required'. I didn't mean that that is MY feeling on the subject. In fact, I am excited to be using this and discovering it so early into my learning because I feel it is a very powerful wee coin and overlooking it is not something magicians ought to be doing.
I cant wait to see what Craig Petty has done with it because I need a creative kick sometimes..
Smile
.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile


.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

.
You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
stevie c
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2021, HofzinsersFan wrote:
Great to read the replies folks, interesting as always. I have a copy of Craig Pettys Split Happens DVD winging its way towards my home as I type. I am hoping to get it tomorrow or Friday and then I can get stuck into it at the weekend.
I am absolutely loving this split coin!
I didn't realise that the more you mess around with it, the more you realise how adaptable this gimmick is. It really can be used instead of other gimmicks, where those other gimmicks are the usual method.
Funsway, when I said "few effects that the gimmick is required for.." I was meaning that it seems that way, I was trying to say that magicians seem to have left this gimmick behind because they perhaps feel that effects can be done with the already existing gimmicks and therefore they surmise that it is not 'required'. I didn't mean that that is MY feeling on the subject. In fact, I am excited to be using this and discovering it so early into my learning because I feel it is a very powerful wee coin and overlooking it is not something magicians ought to be doing.
I cant wait to see what Craig Petty has done with it because I need a creative kick sometimes..


Split happens is a great production. CP starts by going through some of the common moves, before moving onto different types of routines, but even this is the tip of the iceberg. The more you play and practice, the more the possibilities open up. Based on one of the routines on this DVD, I've come up with an awesome coins across routine. IMHO it looks far cleaner than the gimmickless versions I've seen, while also allowing one to handle the gimmick in a far more natural way than an expanded [

Great stuff

BW

Steve
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes Split Happens is a truly GREAT coin magic video. You can lightly toss a split coin on a table. I have put it on spectatowr's hands, and never been caught. Yes you can do everything you could do with an exp. sh ll and make it much cleaner.
Once you add some sleights of your own to separate and rejoin the split coin, you can do things that look like impromptu coin miracles.
stevie c
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2021, countrymaven wrote:
Yes Split Happens is a truly GREAT coin magic video. You can lightly toss a split coin on a table. I have put it on spectatowr's hands, and never been caught. Yes you can do everything you could do with an exp. sh ll and make it much cleaner.
Once you add some sleights of your own to separate and rejoin the split coin, you can do things that look like impromptu coin miracles.


Completely agree CM......as you say, once you add in some well practiced sleights, it can unlock some amazing effects!!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The one sleight not discussed enough anywhere is how to "detach and partially flip" a split coin. Once you figure out a couple ways to do this and the reverse, to get it back together, you do away with the complexities of bent TUC shells or shells, etc. You have a coin that works well all the time and can be carried in your pocket without damaging it.........
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
70 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Ooh Steve and Countrymaven, you two have got me drooling here hehehe!!
It looks like the mail will bring my dvd either this afternoon or tomorrow and then I can know exactly what you're both referring to. I am looking forward to it cos I do like Craigs countenance and think his personality is going to be very well suited to teaching. Sometimes the teacher is the only poor thing about a lesson but it can be the one thing that prevents learning. I am pretty sure Craig won't be like that, he has a very welcome and friendly manner.
One thing I noticed about my cheap split coin is that it being a new ten pence peice, it magnetically sticks to other, ungimmicked ones. Now, that can be a bonus if you wish to have a pile of coins be manoeuvred around in the hands like one, but generally, for me at least I would prefer the split coin to be able to be landing in my palm next to a couple of real ten pence without them all suddenly sticking together!
Well, in case there's anyone else with a ten pence split coin from amazon UK...Don't worry, it is a fact that only some tenpences are magnetic and some aren't! So, I went through all the change I could find in the house and sure enough I found 8 ten pence coins that were not magnetic at all and sit in the hand next to the split coin very naturally.
Worth bearing in mind, that's all.
Smile
Smile
.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile


.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

.
You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
stevie c
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I also tried the 10p version, old UK penny versions etc. The best I've had by far (apart from an expensive Morgan split by RK), is a 2 pound split coin by quick pick magic in the UK. I've got two and they are really good!!!!!
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
Gregory Wilson teaches some ideas on the split coin in his first Penguin Live lecture (https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2671)... it's only about 10 min of the lecture though. As a side note, what he shows are some of the same things he shares with his "Split Focus" gimmick / routine (without having to shell out $200).
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hofn's fan: You are getting the best DVD on split coins, and one of the most underrated DVDs ever. This puts miracle coin
magic within the realm of any coin man. Trust me, split coins' deceptive nature flies over heads of spec's, where even shells could be suspected.
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
70 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2021, stevie c wrote:
I also tried the 10p version, old UK penny versions etc. The best I've had by far (apart from an expensive Morgan split by RK), is a 2 pound split coin by quick pick magic in the UK. I've got two and they are really good!!!!!


Aah I'm glad you mentioned that because it is the same supplier I bought the ten pence version from - quick pik magic on amazon UK. I was wondering about trying the two pound version as I do prefer the slightly larger sized coin. I often practice coin work with old English pennnies so that's more like the same size and I think I will stick with that size for now. At least now I have your word that the two pound version is worthy of getting sometime!
Cheers!
Smile
Smile
.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile


.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

.
You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin Routines (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL