The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » 5 years of hypnosis (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I watched the video, and as someone else noted, the sound dropped out about 2/3 of the way through. You need to re-do this with sound. Here are my comments.

About the introduction: This was an excruciating example of bad acting. By that I mean it was clear that you were either reading something or had something memorized. It sounded very fake and amateurish. You need to take a class or two in acting or public speaking. Even if it's words you've memorized, you need to speak from the heart, not from rote memory.

Concerning the "this is trance" section: After talking about doing shows, we're suddenly in someone's dining room showing an elderly gentleman with a limp wrist. This was a complete non sequitur. Why the dining room rather than a show? You should delete this section as it is jarring and out of place.

Concerning the inductions: Some of them looked brutal, as if you were slapping them on the back of their heads. Horrible. "Yes! Come up on stage so I can slap your head!" Now, I realize that you weren't actually wacking people on the heads, but what you are doing isn't as important as what you look like you are doing. My guess is that you've never had anyone with any actual stage experience or stage hypnosis experience actually review your show and give your constructive criticism. By use of your body language you can get the same result without it looking like you're wacking people on the head.

Moving to the skits: In this section you show a complete lack of understanding of stage hypnosis. You're giving a "Look at me and what I can make these idiots do" show instead of a "Let's give a hand to these stars who are having such a great time" show.

The key to giving a good show (in spite of what a certain ML sold as instructions) is for the hypnotist to get out of the way and let the stars--the volunteers--entertain. You were constantly in between the audience and the actors. Your pacing put the attention on you rather than the actors. You frequently had your back to the audience--bad blocking. You were constantly raving at the actors instead of giving them the chance to act.

My analysis. Hypnosis is easy to do. Putting on a good show with hypnosis is not that easy to do. You can clearly hypnotize. You also have the guts to give a show. That's great. I have no doubt that if you received training in acting, body language, blocking, and stage presence, combined with the courage to let your actors act instead of pacing like a jaguar locked in a small cage while constantly giving patter, you could be quite good.

Did you notice that the audience was becoming bored? Did you notice that while your actors were responding to your suggestions they weren't responding in a large way? Take, for example, the body building skit. You could have made suggestions that would have resulted in greater activity by your actors and indicated which ones were the stars. For example, all you would have needed to say was that this was a body building competition, and the best body builder would win $10,000. Direct the posing (as you did), but then tell the actors that they have to show off to the people scoring and prevent the others from doing better than you (without touching). Then you shut up, get out of the way, and give them a chance to act.

Part of the goal of a good hypnosis show is to turn everyday people into stars of the show. You prevented them from doing this. You got in their way. I saw no indication that you have done any analysis of your performances at all.

So my suggestions:
Get training in acting, stage presence, etc.
Learn about body language so the audience won't think you're wacking people on the head
Make videos of your performances and analyze them.
Instead of pacing between the actors and audience move to the side.
Give your suggestions then shut up and let the actors become stars.

I think you have the makings of a good hypnotist. You have some of the basics. But you still need lots of work and understanding of what is going on in a hypnosis show. It's not about you. It's about the actors having a great time as they become stars. Do that and the audience will love you, the actors will love you, and everyone will remember you.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very good critique, but again, this should all be first year stuff. To boast about 5 years, this is embarrassing and disappointing at best. I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it. This is why a mentor or education is so crucial, because if you develop bad or improper habits from the beginning without the education or person to point out the problem areas, errors, potential dangers, and those bad habits, the performer will simply continue doing and instilling the same bad habits, often getting worse.

The other point is what I've said all along. Even if someone takes the time to learn hypnosis properly, that does not make you an entertainer. Being a performing hypnotist is comprised of two elements - the hypnosis, and being entertaining.

Years ago I was part of an improv and standup comedy group. Before graduation from this training you had to be able to go up on stage without any content or material - no hypnosis, no jokes, no stories, no pre-planned material of any kind. You had to start with the sentence "Hi, my name is _____________ and I am an entertainer..." And you had to entertain the crowd without any material of any kind for at least 15 minutes. Just you and your personality, that's it. Then at the end the audience of just lay people off of the street had to rate and critique you. You had to score a 7 or above out of 10 to graduate. You were allowed to take this "final" up to three times before failing.

I strongly believe that about 90% of entertainers today could not do this. My point in the story is that you have to be an entertainer FIRST, then the means - hypnosis, magic, mentalism, comedian, storyteller, etc.

This is why so many stage hypnotists, street hypnotists and magicians today are terrible. The magicians rely almost 100% on their tricks and effects. They (the tricks) define their show. There are some exceptions, but most would fall in this category. Same for performing hypnotists.I learned this because for my many years in live radio and it also served me well in live performances as well.

It is about being an entertainer, with hypnosis.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea hypnosis is easy in truth. Entertaining is hard.

Heck magic is easy. But entertaining is hard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nevarillusions
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of nevarillusions

Was nice to here some actual advice thanks
This actually isn't my induction I use to date this is all footage from years back, since then I've worked with some the most experianced hypnotist alive

But I was just trying to montache it together apparently not so well I'm learning
And I'm working with a good theater producer friend from the US on acting I currently do hypnotherapy with

but in the long run what's your fav induction I use one I created which has headed approval from much more advanced hypnotist I know?!?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Anyone who has been trained in hypnosis or has worked with hypnosis knows that one size does NOT fit all. Choice of induction will depend upon the group, the individual, the culture, etc.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 18:26, nevarillusions wrote:

"since then I've worked with some the most experianced hypnotist alive"

Cool! Who are these hypnotists that you have worked with?
nevarillusions
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

I've opened for
Dave curran
& one of my top idols has to be Justin tranz, I was lucky enough to learn from him

I've taken advice from many hypnotist including Anthony jacquin, Marc savard along with every book and video from Richard bandler, Elman ect more then I can remember
Also have learned inductions not menchined or used in our culture
ive seen open heart surgery under hypnosis with no meds, all the way to the god experiance achieved through it
Hypnosis is amazing to me as it has so much to do with sociology and our conscious but sadly we've just skimmed the surface of understanding when it comes to our consciousness and how to influence the fireing of chemicals & neurons
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Those are the most experienced hypnotists alive? Good to know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nevarillusions
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Idk I'm sure there's more experiance but in my opinion
Some have made millions off there work and Justin tranz had the longest running hypnosis show in Vegas

They got the business behind the trade and they def got the skill set so....
nevarillusions
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Richard Bandler being the co founder of NLP that guy has some amazing knowledge in the field of sociology and hypnosis
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Uh huh.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Simmer down there Danny-boy. Dave Curran IS the most experienced and talented hypnotist alive. He's also strikingly handsome too I must admit. Did I mention how dreamy he is?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 18:26, nevarillusions wrote:

Was nice to here some actual advice thanks
This actually isn't my induction I use to date this is all footage from years back, since then I've worked with some the most experianced hypnotist alive ...

Then I'm a bit confused. Why do you think we're going to "enjoy" something that is not a good example, is from years ago, that you don't do anymore, without any sort of information? If you had shown that video combined with a current video it's quite likely that we would have seen your progress and improvement.

C'mon, dude! Use your head a bit. What were you expecting? Do you really think people would compliment you and enjoy seeing copies of your old math tests where you got 50% wrong? No, they would tell you what was wrong and advise you to get some more training, just as people here have done.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 14:42, RSD wrote:
Simmer down there Danny-boy. Dave Curran IS the most experienced and talented hypnotist alive. He's also strikingly handsome too I must admit. Did I mention how dreamy he is?

He is. What did I say to contradict that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 11:18, nevarillusions wrote:
Justin tranz, I was lucky enough to learn from him
Justin tranz had the longest running hypnosis show in Vegas

The first rule of learning is not to believe all the hype and everything you read. Justin has not had the longest running show in Las Vegas.
You actually took Justin's training and were trained by him, is this correct?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And by Dave Curran?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Ummmm. Michael Johns has actually had the longest running show in Vegas. And non-continuous, would be Terry Stokes.
Brush up on your Vegas show history.
Dr. Naughty, the deceased one, probaly had the second longest running show in Vegas.
Perhaps then Terry Stokes
Followed by Scott Lewis, and then maybe (depending on how you count it) Marshall Sylver
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ahhh yes the "Dread Pirate Naughty". (A Princes Bride reference for those not understanding what I mean.)

A bit of Vegas history would have been in order prior to the post I must agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
My name is Inigo Mantoya... You killed my father... Prepare to die!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Stop saying that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » 5 years of hypnosis (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL