We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Effects to perform behind the bar... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Hey guys

I supervise a bar and when its quiet the manager asks me to do some informal magic to the customers sitting at the bar.

I already perform the following, mostly card effects:

Red Hot Mama
Carbon Paper
Invsible Deck
Betcha 2 card monte
$100 Bill switch effect
And my own transposition effect then Paperclipped.

Ideally I would like to add some coin magic (gimmicked or non gimmicked) I thought maybe Coin Unique (dont have yet),ring effects and some random magic e.g thumb tip and bar items- sugar packets etc but they make no sense to me as it seems like I am just showing off for e.g. if I just make sugar disappear and appear again- NO MOTIVE.

I have never really like bending spoon effects like the classic but D. Williamson has a lovely routine on his IM lecture video!

Any thoughts on which tricks/effects to perform behind the bar???

Cheers for your input

Dave
David
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
The trick Jigernaut gets my high recomendation for Bar Magic. I've used it for years and never get a bad response from it. This trick is one of my all time favorite Bar tricks.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
How about scotch and soda. It seems a fitting trick for use in a bar. I also saw a bartender do colour monte on t.v.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Lit cigarette vanish, hopping halves would be nice, definatley learn JC wagner's Card under drink, rubberband magic is great along with pinnacle, and probably card on ceiling and you're all set.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Copper/silver/brass is a cool tick. do you have any of the doc eason tapes? on volume 3 he has a copper/silver/brass routine and a cool two in the hand one in the pocket using nuts and bolts, that is a neat little trick. your motive is your patter, you must create a story that explains why you are doing certain things.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Anything you find on the Eason tapes. He really has put together some good stuff on there. These would probably be a great investment for your situation if you don't already have them.
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
I don't have the Doc Eason tapes but I have watched the Scotty Yorke Tapes- however I did not find use for the material.

I do like the effect for disappearing a cigarette however I have not found a suitable motive to do so apart from it says look at me and look what I can do. Any way... Keep posting please.

Dave
David
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
In a bar setting, having a "meaning" for a trick is often kind of overkill, IME.

As the late, great Heba Haba Al once told me when we were working together at the old New York Lounge in Chicago, "Sometimes a card trick is just a G-d Da--ed card trick!"

Don't sweat going for "deeper meaning" or worry about showing off, worry about making the register ring and the customers laugh, amazing them - and getting them to come back again!

In a nutshell, that's the job of a bar magician.

As to specific tricks, TT work can be good, but be aware that a lot of folks are aware of the gimmick, so use it carefully.

In coins, you want stuff that resets instantly and will not be damaged by the wetness of the environment. Scotch & Soda is pretty good, or its little brother the dime & penny (which is a good throw off for the guys who have gotten a S&S at the local mall magic shop).

I would recommend looking at a shell set of some kind, or learning a good matrix routine (which is usually no gimmick and done with borrowed coins). Raven can also kill behind the bar as well.

For non coin stuff, sponge bunnies, done as Robert Nelson originally described the routine, is a must. It took a MENTALIST to come up with one of the most perfect close up routines, ever. And the thinking behind the handling is excellent, too!

Jiggernaut by Genest is superb, but takes some work, if you want to do IT work, that plays well, but watch for the "wise ones." You know, those that bought the Himber SPinning Card (or variations thereof_) from a mall store.

A stripper deck is also something to have if you're not a seasoned card guy.

Best of luck on this. It can be very rewarding!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Kamillion Koins resets fast and is very puzzling.

I usually start off pretending I have only one coin and that it is one colour.

I pass the one coin back and forth from one hand to the other until someone points out that I actually have two coins.

"I do? Wow, you're observant. But this one is (other colour)".

"Cool! Watch, I can make my one coin change colour when I put it in my other hand."

Audience: You have two coins!!!

"Right. Did I mention I was El Lamo."

Then I usually do a patter about the colours and mood and personality. I have a old book that does colour analysis. Personality stuff. Because people often think about heat and cold activiation, I usually misderect by talking about some colours being warmer than others. I talk about the core colours then ask what their favourite colour is?

This works great with an audience because people shout out different colours. Usually someone says one I need. And another. And another. And another.

Then they want to see the koins.
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Quote:
On 2003-09-25 09:21, Yavid2001 wrote:
I don't have the Doc Eason tapes but I have watched the Scotty Yorke Tapes- however I did not find use for the material.

I do like the effect for disappearing a cigarette however I have not found a suitable motive to do so apart from it says look at me and look what I can do. Any way... Keep posting please.

Dave

I'm pretty sure you would find something that you would use on the Eason tapes. You could borrow the term from Michael Close and call the ones on the tapes "workers". A few that come to mind:

Card under glass(Vol. 1)
Bill to Lemon(Vol. 2)
Card on ceiling(Vol. 3)

We are talking about effects that can be done individually but that will make people's jaws drop Smile .
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1498 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
How about a non-gaffed coin trick? There are PLENTY. A simple coins across is good as well as a decent Spellbound. As far as Card Under the Drink is concerned, John Bannon's is much better then J.C. Wagners and it has a repeat under test conditions.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
482 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
How about an appearing Wine Bottle? I believe I saw this effect presented by Michael Ammar on his video "Magic Mastery and You". Michael shows a simple silk hankerchief, then voila the Wine Bottle appears from beneath the silk. Michael finishes the effect off by using the silk to dust off the bottle, then places the silk away. It is a very visual effect!!
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
You usually don't have to worry abnout reset for bar tricks because you have timne in between the sets in which you could go to a back office and reset s few of them.

If you are going to do card under the glass then you have to repeat it throughout your whole set, it makes a great running trick.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Dave,

I would suggest doing chink-a-chink using beer bottle caps. A NATURAL prop, EASY to palm and, at a bar, you have an endless supply of the prop.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
And following the Chink-a-Chink with beer bottle caps you might try the bottle cap in bottle penetration, which not only is a logical follow-up, it's incredibly magical and ends with a perfect giveaway.

Larry D.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
A floating bill would work I think, bars are usually darkER right? I don't see many bartenders with white, I see a lot of red and black. So the IT would be perfect.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Get Doc Eason's tapes. Get Them now. I gave my York tapes away because I couldn't use the material, but Doc's stuff is very, very good. Get the DVD's.
You have to give it away to keep it.
ZachWaldman
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ZachWaldman
I recently started doing Sam The Bellhop at my bar gig.
The reactions have been awesome. I'm working on doing
a version with my own story, but most laypeople have
never seen anything like it. As a result, you could
do the routine the way it's presented on Bill Malone's
DVD Volume 1.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sponge rabbits
Chop Cup (or cups and balls depending on venue)
Get Martin Gardner's book on impromtup magic
Gags
Gags
Napkin tricks
Paper hats/panties
Pea Can

Avoid any routine that takes more than 90 seconds. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I think some IT work and possibly floating bill would work fine.

Especially if you are behind the bar!

If you are performing to a few young ladies, you could fold a paper rose out of a napkin and float that then hand it to one of them afterwards.

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Effects to perform behind the bar... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL