The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo for Youngsters? Recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wazowski
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of wazowski
I have a 9 year-old nephew who is developing an interest in magic, mostly from watching the Harry Potter movies. I thought I would encourage his interest and have slowly started buying him some Tenyo tricks. The first two I gave him were Flash Dice and Cubio. They were some of my favourites when I was first getting into magic. I'm thinking the next one might be soft coins. Still debating. So that got me thinking, what Tenyo trick would you recommend for a youngster getting into magic and why?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3444 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Great question wazowski. I remember buying some effects for my son when he was younger and looking to find ones that were easy enough for him to do at the same time visually interesting enough to keep his interest. While many Tenyo items are technically easy to do many can be "finiky" and possibly frustrate someone starting out. A few I would suggest are:

- Crash Dice: Very easy to do and and a great visual (and audio) effect. Kids really seem to like making the die "explode"! I remember seeing a picture of Copperfield teaching this to a child in a hospital many years ago.

- Clean Cut: Easy to do visual rope cutting.

- Vault Vison: Easy to do, a real fooler and can be repeated for his friends. Can also be carried in his pocket to show friends at school.

- Zig Zag Cig: Would substitute the cig for a crayon or golf pencil... otherwise the child may get some funny looks from adults he may perform for!

- Crystal Cleaver - The classic Tenyo effect that goes over very well. My experience is that children can find this a little tricky to re-set and may require some adult supervison. It can teach them the need for practise and rehearsal and it will feel like real magic to them when they first do it.

Hope that helps,

John
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I would recommend Dynamic Coins. It is often overlooked, but it is easily one of their best tricks. And it will last for his entire life.

My nephew was performing Dynamic Coins at three years old. It was so cute watching him do it.

If you can't find a Tenyo version there are many quality reproductions.

AA
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
My son always like to do Unusual Suspects. The props are cute and you can make up a story to go along with it.
I think Zone Infinity and Invisible Zone were others he used to do often.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
All mentioned above are great for children. I'd like to add Zone Infinity - great penetration effect which is easy to do and carry around.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
647 Posts

Profile of Inert
It's great to see the magic tradition carried on in the family. All the Disney Tenyo line should appeal to his age. Animation Frame might also grab him due to Pinocchio's appearance. Lucky kid could do all the tricks that Killertweety & myself can't do because of vision. New eyes!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The Coin in Fan is simple to do and very effective. That's what they used to sell to kids up at Tannen's 30 years ago.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
4-D Surprise. Super easy to do. Takes 5 minutes to master, and huge impact, appreciated by both kids and adults.

What not to get for kids, even though it sounds like it's for them? Magic Painting.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I second Unusual Suspects - you can build a whole story around it, which is important for kids.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Izzy Jay
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
276 Posts

Profile of Izzy Jay
I'm not sure, but Tower of Dice sounds like something a kid can do.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Tower Of Dice requires some akward handling Izzy (at least for me it's akward). If the child's hands are small he'll have trouble performing it in my opinion.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
I second dynamic coins.
great looking magic.
and this trick will last
a long time too.
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Floating Lady Smile.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2280 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
T-226 President's Cabinet Smile
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2280 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 20:11, that'sCool wrote:
Floating Lady Smile.

A new sealed one? Smile
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
As a kid, maybe age 13 or 14, I bought Clean Cut and Mira Metal, they were both very easy to do. In addition to Crystal Cleaver, I would suggest Magical Door and Origami Tube as these are also simple enough for a child to perform.

John
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 20:33, simcoscor wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 20:11, that'sCool wrote:
Floating Lady Smile.

A new sealed one? Smile

Of course Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo for Youngsters? Recommendations? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL