The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Size of Billiard Balls for a first time user (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
512 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have an adult magical friend who wants to start work with billiard ball manipulation. I wonder if any of you "ball workers" out there have a suggestion for a size to use to start out with routine practicing that this fellow can use which won't be too hard and frustrating to use. I don't do the balls at all and am unable to make suggestions to him regarding size.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Of course it will really depend on the size of his hands, but 1 3/4" are about average for most adult hands. They are also a bit easier to conceal (angles) than larger balls. At first, the balls may seem large and the inclination would be to switch to a smaller size, but that's just being unfamiliar with the feel. Once he gets used to them, muscle memory and all that, it will be second nature.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Retrieved March 3, 2011 from
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
in the topic "New to Billiard Ball Manipulation:
-----begin quote-----
Chapter 18 of Routined Manipulation Part II is titled "Modern Billiard Ball Manipulation" and is quite possibly the single best introduction to billiard ball manipulation ever written. There is a section titled "The Type and Size of Balls to Use" and it provides a "rule of thumb" (although probably in this case a more apt metaphor might be a "rule of fingers") for determining what size ball to use. Ganson says (page 95): "The rule should be the balls should be as large as the performer can manage comfortably." He then gives "a good test' for determining what "comfortable" size to use, although the test requires that you have access to a brick-and-mortar magic shop where you can go in and actually experiment with different size balls.
-----end quote-----

I think it would be wise for your friend to purchase a good book (I recommend the above-mentioned _Routined Manipulation, Part II_ for starters) or DVD at the same time he purchases the balls. I don't know that any of the balls on the market comes with a decent set of instructions.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
I went with the 1 3/4 inch Fakini balls for my first time and have not looked back. I also picked up Levent's Ultimate Guide to the Billiard Balls 3 DVD set. Now it's all about the practice, practice, practice. And when I'm done with that...I'll practice some more. Good luck to your friend.
Are you watching closely?
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
My first set came with the AC Gilbert magic set, they were small and slippery. Then the golf ball look-a-likes became popular and they seemed to be made of rubber, still slippery for me. I have large hands and was able to pick up a basketball in grade school. I'm also a klutz. Are the Fakini balls slippery and is there a hand cream available that would promote stickiness? I know football players use something that helps them to hold onto the ball. Have not done any research on this.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest these balls for a 1st timer. He will not be discourged from not being able to handle them. No instructions provided, so you will have to find a routine. As Sonny said, Routine Manipulation book is an excellent beginning treatise on the subject.

Read about my recommendation here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=10&53
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 19:18, spartacus wrote:
Are the Fakini balls slippery...?

No. They are not sticky either, but have a special "cling" to them. You would like them a lot if you worry about balls being too slippery. I used to use wooden balls when I was younger, but as I have gotten older, my hands are drier than they used to be. The wooden balls began to slip too much. I now use the Fakini's for that very reason. In my opinion, they are a very good investment.

Can't help you with the klutz problem, though! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 19:18, spartacus wrote:
I have large hands and was able to pick up a basketball in grade school. I'm also a klutz. Are the Fakini balls slippery and is there a hand cream available that would promote stickiness? I know football players use something that help the to hold onto the ball. Have not done any research on this.

Try the balls I suggest above with a link to another forum, for your large hands.

For hand lotions, I suggest Golfer's Grip or a product named similar in name. Sold at most Golf departments and Golf Pro Shops. It will give your hands a sandy feeling to grip items.

With the China Multiplying Balls I suggest, lotion is not necessary with them.

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will also second the Fakini's for use.

Levent's video is an excellant overview for the billard balls. I would not recommend your friend get 2" billard balls. It takes a fair amount of practice to get the handling and angles correct.

He might consider the golf balls as they are pretty easy to handle and learn.

Another resource to talk with is Denny Haney. Denny is a good guy and also stocks a lot of the Fakini balls.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Thank you for the information and suggestions. Magic Café is fortunate to have professionals willing to share their knowledge of products not all of us are familiar with. There is a golf supply business close to our Walmart. I will stop in ask about "golfers grip." Thanks again.
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
I am 14 years old and I use 2 sets of 2 inch Fakinis. I have very long fingers and large hands, but they are also very boney, but if you plan to do billiard ball manipulation, I suggest learning card manipulations like singles and split fans first to strengthen the hands.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
[quote]On 2012-03-03 13:51, Anatole wrote:
-----begin quote-----
Ganson says (page 95): "The rule should be the balls should be as large as the performer can manage comfortably.
-----end quote-----

I have an old book titled Fire Tricks. It explains how to put your hand in a bucket of molten lead and remove it with no harm.
The notes say to place your hand in, not too fast but not too slow, and you'll be fine.
Reminds me of the above quote.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
728 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
It will be good if it is possible try out the different sizes. I have a 1 3/4" Fakini set and a 2" JL Mirage set, Turns out I like the 2" better.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'd to with Fakini Golf Balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 11:42, yin_howe wrote:
It will be good if it is possible try out the different sizes. I have a 1 3/4" Fakini set and a 2" JL Mirage set, Turns out I like the 2" better.

JL don't come in 2", I believe you interchanged your names and numbers.

Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
Wmhegbli,

JL now has 2 inch white and red Mirage sets.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 12:47, Brad Lancaster wrote:
Wmhegbli,

JL now has 2 inch white and red Mirage sets.

When did that happen, I just recently purchased a set of JL!

Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
I bought the smaller JL balls set also, then about three weeks ago I discovered that Hocus Pocus was selling 2 inch sets.
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
Are JL balls good? As I said, I use Fakinis, how do they compare?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 01:50, elliottmagic wrote:
Are JL balls good? As I said, I use Fakinis, how do they compare?

Apples and oranges. Two different products. Cannot compare, as they are nothing alike.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Size of Billiard Balls for a first time user (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL