The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Smash Climax for Color Changing Knives (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
530 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
A young magic friend of mine has a very nice CCK routine. I mentioned to him that there was a spectacular ending I remembered for a long time ago - the Smash Climax (Jose de la Tore) I thought it was a specially good ending to the routine. I am aware of the mini knives that Joe Mogar makes - and they are beautiful. BUT - I would love to locate a set of the REALLY mini knives that Jose used to sell. Does anyone know where they might be located today?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Always seemed like a random ending for me. It's magical, but makes no sense to the routine.
I'm actually a big fan of non sequiturs, but they need to make sense. I know that doesn't make much sense, but a non sequitur climax needs to still "fit" if you will.

I think my problem with the smash climax for a cck routine is that it is trying to be too connected to the routine.
I think such a climax has to either be completely out of left field, or the rest of the routine has to be somewhat nonsensical itself.
Kind of like sponge balls. Even though there's "logic" to the magic, in as far as one ball vanishes here, and reappears there, but sponge balls themselves make absolutely no sense. So a climax of a tonne of mini balls makes "sense."
Not the best example as there is usually a more overall consistent direction with most sponge ball routines. Balls appearing, multiplying, etc, so the mini balls are not much of a non sequitur, but it kind of illustrates the point I think.

So, to summarise, producing the mini knives is consistent in the object, but incongruent in the magical effect. If you produced a bunch of mini pickles, I think that would work better. Of course that's just me.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Not that I, in any way, addressed your actual question.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The mini knives were a great surprise and great finale. I used to sell a lot of them. It seemed back then, that everything had a mini finish to routines. It may not be logical but it played well. In the case of De La Tore, it was a supply thing. He had a source, he had nice knives and it was good business.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
What?
If it makes sense then it's not a non sequitur.
Surely mini knives "fit" better than a load of pickles.
Surely a load of mini knives are to a knife routine what loads of mini sponge balls are to a sponge ball routine.
I don't think you're making any sense.
Not that there's anything wrong with not making sense...but you're clearly not! Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Mini knives to a colour changing knife routine is not the same as mini balls to a sponge ball routine.
Unless the sponge ball routine was a colour changing sponge ball routine.

It's like doing a colour changing card routine that finished with a miniature deck. The problem is that the only connection is the type of object. The magical effect is essentially a non sequitur. My point is that the similarity of the object doesn't mix well with the random shift in magic effect. A random shift in effect, combined with a random change in object compliment eachother, where as the random change in effect but similar objects leaves a conflict.

It's like doing a card manipulation act, then finishing with a jumbo card penetration effect.
Where as the production of a jumbo fan, or card castle is consistent in both object and effect.
If you are going to throw in a non sequitur, IMHO, it works better being consistently inconsistent with the rest of the routine, and emphasising the obscurity/randomness of it.
Or, if the whole routine itself is fairly random, then consistency of object with random shift in magic can work, as well as consistency in effect, but random change in effect, again, IMHO.

This is actually why I think jumbI coins at the end (of some) coin routines are good finales, but also agree with the critics, but, again, only with some routines.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
I will look and see if I still have mine.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Rhett,

I was able to pick up a new set on the "Let's Make A Deal" section last year. It's rare, but they do show up once in a while!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
530 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Good to know, Sammy. I regularly troll that area for goodies. I will keep my eyes open. (I did find an online "magic shop" that listed one as being available - but they wrote to me telling me that they were no longer available. Bummer)
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Asencio's mini knives for his finish were made in the 60's and 70's by InterCast, that came in sets of 4 to 6 "working" tools that could be used as charms or in doll houses. They included hammer, pliers, screwdriver, plummer wrench, hatchet etc. I had wanted the mini knives since '75 for my CCK routine.

If you google InterCast knife or search on eBay, they come up. My first set of 10 cost between $7 and $12 each. I painted them with Testors Enamel paint.

Of course I cannot Cut and Paste a photo nor get this forum to accept the edited photo. Sorry, only happens when I try to post pictures, or breath, or blink...

You can find them now you know the maker. InterCast. Happy Hunting.

Pete

Click here to view attached image.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 17:16, Sammy J. wrote:
Rhett,

I was able to pick up a new set on the "Let's Make A Deal" section last year. It's rare, but they do show up once in a while!

Sammy

Where is "lets make a deal"?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have a set of those Jose De LaTore mini knives, I guess they are considered antiques now.

They go very well with my Tamaraz 6 Knive set as discribed in the book.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I bought a set 30 some years ago. Don't know where they are, but I know they are somewhere in my house.

I bought the duplicate set last year since I haven't found my original set.

Magicians, just scroll down a ways and you will find the "Let's Make A Deal" thread.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Mini pocket knives about 1" long used to be a common prize in gum ball machines. I preferred the shrinking knife ending, less trouble and still very visible. I found a good quality small but not tiny knife that matched my Morgans'.
It didn't really work with my Scottys'.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
My favorite CCK climax ending is still Whit Hadyn's "Intricate Web of Deception". Can check the YouTube
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 17:40, gdw wrote:
Always seemed like a random ending for me. It's magical, but makes no sense to the routine.
I'm actually a big fan of non sequiturs, but they need to make sense. I know that doesn't make much sense, but a non sequitur climax needs to still "fit" if you will.

I think my problem with the smash climax for a cck routine is that it is trying to be too connected to the routine.
I think such a climax has to either be completely out of left field, or the rest of the routine has to be somewhat nonsensical itself.
Kind of like sponge balls. Even though there's "logic" to the magic, in as far as one ball vanishes here, and reappears there, but sponge balls themselves make absolutely no sense. So a climax of a tonne of mini balls makes "sense."
Not the best example as there is usually a more overall consistent direction with most sponge ball routines. Balls appearing, multiplying, etc, so the mini balls are not much of a non sequitur, but it kind of illustrates the point I think.

So, to summarise, producing the mini knives is consistent in the object, but incongruent in the magical effect. If you produced a bunch of mini pickles, I think that would work better. Of course that's just me.

Actually, the ending does make sense. I saw how it's supposed to be presented on Michael Ammar's Topit Tapes, many years ago. You ask the spectators to name colors they'd like to see the knives turn into - they name several. You smack the knife and it changes into mini knives, each of a different color.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Here you are: http://www.worldknives.com/types/miniature-knives-5.html
Great selection of mini knives about 1.5-inches long.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
nicpicot
View Profile
New user
uk
19 Posts

Profile of nicpicot
Tried to sell a set with 24 smash climax on ebay but they removed the listing- too dangerous I guess. My old richards sheffield penknives are the best as you can tell which side is what colour- set still for sale....
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Are you sure that's the reason? They sell all sorts of knives on eBay.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2014, nicpicot wrote:
Tried to sell a set with 24 smash climax on ebay but they removed the listing- too dangerous I guess. My old richards sheffield penknives are the best as you can tell which side is what colour- set still for sale....

Did you put all the restrictions on the sale of the mini knives, like not sold to children, or anyone below 18 years of age. Knives not real, very dull. Might have been good to call them replicas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Smash Climax for Color Changing Knives (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL