We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wand Tip For Silver Cups? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi all:


Imagine that you have a set of Silver Plated Cups to be used as your C & B routine, what type of wand tips (in terms of colour, and material) would you use for your routine, and why?

Next, I come across some wand where the tip is concave, and it is for balancing the ball.
May I know what would be the usage of balancing the ball in a C & B routine?

Would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you in advance!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Any wand that doesn't harm the cup when you strike it. Look at the Vernon image wand at http://www.porperoriginals.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 09:02, zhuanan wrote:
Hi all:


Imagine that you have a set of Silver Plated Cups to be used as your C & B routine, what type of wand tips (in terms of colour, and material) would you use for your routine, and why?

Next, I come across some wand where the tip is concave, and it is for balancing the ball.
May I know what would be the usage of balancing the ball in a C & B routine?

Would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you in advance!


The color of the tips should be based upon the color of the body of the wand. An opposite color should be used. For example black wand - white tips, white wand - black tips, dark brown wand - tan tips. Both colors should contrast with your close up mat and the balls used in the trick. They should also be visible against your shirt.

You can use the concave wand tip for whatever pleases you -- balancing a ball, showing off, etc.

The tips could be made of delrin, wood, or some other relatively soft material.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
I agree with Joe and Bill--the wand should contrast the cups, but of course, it's all a matter of preference. The only suggestion I have is that you use a NON metal tipped wand. While metal tipped wands look very nice, and are balanced, the metal scrapes and damages the finishes on the cups...and if you have a nice silver plated finish, that's probably the last thing you want to do. There are several "weighted" all wooden wands which work well. I think Joe Porper makes some of the most beautiful wands, and albeit expensive, are worth the price. RNT2 has some new wands available that are very nice, as does Tabman. I found a site that specializes in magic wands called Alivans--www.alivans.com. They have many different wands to choose from, all reasonably priced. I personally use a wand from their conjurer's collection (designed for magicians, and weighted), but they have several Harry Potter type wands to look at as well. The wand should just be an extension of you...
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Hi,

I have been trying a few different materials for wand tips.

Top - Gold fleck Acrylic Acetate
Middle - Moose Antler, I ran out of Unicorn hair
Bottom - Laminated wood dyed
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267......ters.jpg

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267......wand.jpg

Acrylic Acetate Pen Blanks.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as......50,43243

Eric
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Very nice, papa
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Antoine
View Profile
Regular user
Northern France
104 Posts

Profile of Antoine
Silver cups should be used with silver tips ;-) That is a perfect match;)

I'll try to post a picture of my set asap...
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1717 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've been using the cardboard tube off the pants hangers that the cleaners sends home. I read about using this in a post or book, (Dick Oslund ?). Doesn't scratch anything.
Antoine
View Profile
Regular user
Northern France
104 Posts

Profile of Antoine
Here is the set I use.
My wand is made of whalebone with engraved silver tips... It matches perfectly with the cups Smile

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/5134/FYEOJR.jpg

Some details :
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1007/ewWmub.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6238/qOtnCz.jpg

Enjoy Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1717 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2016, Antoine wrote:
Here is the set I use.
My wand is made of whalebone with engraved silver tips... It matches perfectly with the cups Smile

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/5134/FYEOJR.jpg

Some details :
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1007/ewWmub.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6238/qOtnCz.jpg

Enjoy Smile


Wow! They are really works of art. Beautiful.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8267 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2016, jakeg wrote:
I've been using the cardboard tube off the pants hangers that the cleaners sends home. I read about using this in a post or book, (Dick Oslund ?). Doesn't scratch anything.


I remember Charlie Miller using the cardboard tube from a dry cleaner's coat hanger. I think (this was about 40 years ago) that he was talking about "impromptu" performances. I may have mentioned it in a thread.

Glad to see someone is using it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Years ago Jim Riser made beautiful wands, one of which was ebony with silver tips. Then I saw Michael Kaminskas lecture and he performed the Ramsay Cylinder and Coins with a Riser ebony/silver wand. I went "That's it, I have to acquire one." I caught one from the last batch that Riser was manufacturing.

There shouldn't be a problem using a wand with metal tips as long as the cups are not aggressively tapped or not tapped at all.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Michael Myatt of Moonlight Magic Productions makes excellent custom made wands for a very reasonable price. He can do exotic woods, metal and acrylic. Tips can be weighted or magnetic. I would recommend an all wood wand for cups and balls because the wood will be easy on the finish of your cups. I have around 12 of his wands and very happy with his work. They all carry a lifetime guarantee. Do an search on Facebook for Moonlight Magic Productions
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2016, Antoine wrote:
Silver cups should be used with silver tips ;-) That is a perfect match;)

I'll try to post a picture of my set asap...



Très Bon! So beautiful!
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2016, Antoine wrote:
Here is the set I use.
My wand is made of whalebone with engraved silver tips... It matches perfectly with the cups Smile

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/5134/FYEOJR.jpg

Some details :
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1007/ewWmub.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6238/qOtnCz.jpg

Enjoy Smile


The wand makes the cups. I've never seen a set of more beautiful set.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Oh and the thing about the metal tips hurting the precious cups if struck.

Just strike the cups with the side of the wand; the wooden part. You don't have to hit the cups with the tip of the wand!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wand Tip For Silver Cups? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL