The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Healed and Sealed Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
My gospel Healed and Sealed patter goes something like this: I talk about man without God being a lot like an empty crushed can, with a void inside that needs to be filled, and a damaged soul that needs to be healed.

I then talk about how when we enter into a relationship with God He heals our souls, minds, and even body (as the can begins to fill out). I then talk about how the Bible says that God seals us with his Spirit (while sealing the top), and it's the same Spirit that He then fills us with (as I move my finger up the side of the can like it is being filled).

Finally I finish talking about how the Bible says that the Spirit of God will flow like a river of living water from us, as I break the seal and pour some into a glass. Then you can break into talking about the carbonation rising to the top and go into just about anything from there. I get great results with it. Hope you like.

Low Phat
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Low Phat,

That sounds inspired. Good job Smile .

Mind if I use that in Children's Church?

Godspeed
Steve Smile
zzz

PS. Welcome to the Café. You'll like it; it's a GREAT place.

PPS. You're a DI. Hmmmm, at the naval base in Jackson? Sounds like fun. Smile
Z
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Feel free to use it. Actually I'm a drill instructor for the Michigan Dept of Corrections at a prisoner boot camp.

Low Phat
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
That is a wonderful presentation Low Phat. I love performing Healed n Sealed. Would it be ok if I borrow some of your patter and use this sometime?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree friend!

That is a fine use of the props to paint a memorable picture on the hearts of your audience.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Sure, feel free to use the patter and adapt it as you see fit.

Low Phat Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
If there is a God, and that he is good, why on earth would he associate himself with a soft drink, like a cola, for example? They're full of dodgy chemicals, rot teeth and contribute to obesity. Not something, if I was an omnipotent being, that I'd want to put my name to.

ML
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Missing Link, I am not quite sure of the intent of your message. Are you trying to get us into a disucssion or argument about God's existence, or about what He would or should condone or not?

The description of this forum says
Quote:
"This forum is provided as an area for gospel magicians to discuss topics pertaining to the art of gospel magic - - Not for folks to bash gospel magic, or the religious beliefs of the people who do perform gospel magic. If gospel magic is not your thing, the Café provides plenty of other categories to choose from, thank you."

No matter. Now that you know the purpose here, you will have a better context for posting in the future.

However I will comment on your basic statement that cola is bad, so we shouldnt use it in Gospel Magic.

The effect isn't about the Cola, it is about using the cola as part of an illustration.

Cola, like many other man made things, is not evil, or even bad, in and of itself. It is the abuse of it (use to an excess) that is bad, and causes the bad outcomes you referenced.

So I don't think there is any problem using cola, or fire, or cards, or those type of things in an illustration.

BroDavid
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Well said Bro David.

Low Phat Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Would you condone the use of a class A drug in a presentation then? By same token, it is the misuse of them that is harmful, not the substances themselves.

ML
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Woulda, shoulda, coulda,...Missing_Link...I am confused here. Did you miss out on the debate squad this year, and thus bought your great argument skills to this forum? If so, bring up any item YOU WOULD use for the illustration, and I'm sure someone here can come up with a reason why it shouldnt be used. Fortunately for any good magician that is trying to present a message about Christ, the trick does not overshadow the message. But reading the post about the trick several times and all you have done is focused on the trick.
What I would like to see happen is for you to watch lowphat present this ilustration and see what the response is from others.

Also you focused on the negativity of Coke...you conventiantly or thru just being mistaken, left out all the good things that Coke can do...

It can relieve the sting from a Jellyfish..
It can remove rust...
It can remove gum from hair...
It can clean old coins...
It can clean tile grout...
It can remove oil stains...
It can clean battery terminals...
It can clean bugs off a winshield...

Wow!!! to think all the the things it can do. Maybe God wouldnt mind having that used for an illustration...I'll go ask.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Missing_Link. While it now appears even more clearly that your intent is not to discuss magic but to become involved in a discussion or create a controversy, I will still respond.

The illustration that you give is one where, Yes! I personally might use such an illustration (although not posturing the use of it in a positive light).

However to keep this discussion from escalating the examples, (and getting any more off-topic that it has already become), I will also say that there are some elements that could fall into that same broad definition of "not being bad in and off itself", that I would NOT use in a Gospel or Christian message setting.

What I would, or would not use, is based on my interpretation of the Bible, my understanding of God and goal of honoring Him, and my conviction by The Holy Spirit.

Others however, may have other interpretations (equally correct) and differing convictions (also conceivably equally correct).

There they may do things that I would not. Or they might NOT do things that I do.

A personal relationship with God is just that; personal. And each of will some day (believers or not) stand in judgment for what we have said and done.

So what we might or might not use in conveyance of our message is up to each individual Gospel/Christian Performer.

Since I have seen no evidence of your being a Christian or Gospel magician, I suggest that any further discussion into what is, or isn't permissible by a Christian or Gospel magician would probably not comply with the rules for this forum.

If you have specific "real" questions about Gospel magic or Christianity, feel free to PM me.

BroDavid
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
BroDavid

Thank you for clarifying your position. This was not an attempt at creating a controversy, but a logical extension of the original premise. And since this was to do with a magic effect, then I contend that it was on-topic.

all the best

ML
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
If I were God (which I am not) and I were good (which I also am not), I would certainly associate myself with Coca-Cola. After all, we're both "The Real Thing."
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
Very nice Leonard. I wish I would have thought of that. Because God is, in fact the real thing... he is the only thing.

Jim
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
The whole idea with using healed and sealed is that it is a knock them dead trick that amazes people. I have found it to be one of the best illusions to use a gospel theme with and have found the effect very powerful, because of the nature of the illusion. It is so powerful if all I had was a beer can available for some reason I would use it. The focus is not on the trick or what type of can I am using, but on Christ. At the conclusion of the illusion (nice rhyme) I explain that what they have just seen is an illusion and a mystery, but the greatest mystery is that of God's love and how he can take what was just illustrated and make it a reality in our lives. I think people get too uptight about what they use to illustrate God's love, be it cards, cans, or anything else. My view is if it isn't illegal, unethical, or a sin I will use it if it brings people closer to God.

Low Phat Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Once again, friend,. I think you have a very nice illusion and have the performance well thought out.

And for those who would like to use something (Healed and Sealed or anything else) but aren't comfortable putting a message with it, ....as I, and many others have said here before, every effect in a Gospel/Christain Magician's act does not have to have a verse or message.

I do fire for the sake of amazement and entertainment! And it allows the audience to know that I am a Magician, but not some stuffy old dude who is going to bang them on the head with a Bible. They are entertained and since I have given them something without expectation or trying to "sell them on anything" they relate better to me when I tell them about what God means to me.

BroDavid
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks for sharing this idea.

I saw Tim and Sue Ellen present it "their way" last year.

I had not thought about your application.

You are appreciated by,

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
That is a great idea!! I hope you don't mind if I use it at my Bible study group sometime, that is when I muster the courage to do it. It would be good to show to the kids at Church, too in one of the children's slots. Thanks for the inspiration LowPhat!

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
The Patter I use is about being Re-Filled. I use it to talk with High Schoolers, emphasizing the fact that sometimes we feel used, and abused. That all our juice is drained out of us.

But God has promised a way for us to be refilled. That on the Cross, God's grace brings us to Full. Giving us new life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Healed and Sealed Patter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL