The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eclipse packaging question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I have been told that Eclipse has always been packaged with a clear film placed over the mirror. Is there anyone out there who remembers purchasing and opening a new one without the film on it? Thank you.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
647 Posts

Profile of Inert
Hi Terry. Mine came with the film covering. The latest packaging is numbered T-112B. It has the film also. The very earliest edition...I just don't know the answer.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Your poor fellow. You look like such a nice man.

You are caught in the Tenyo Collectors Vortex.

Get out while you still can.

"There's a signpost up ahead, your next stop, The Tenyo Zone."
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Yes, it has the protective film. I performed the trick with the film on it for several years and thought mine wasn't OK because it wasn't shiny. Then I pulled the film of, by accident Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I have a set of mint older ones and they have a blue film onto it, too.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I have the one in the original card packaging and it does not have a blue film. :-( I can see myself clearly in the mirror through the packaging. Maybe I got one that was used and then resealed since those are know to open like a book. I am really getting sick and tired of people selling me ******** Tenyo tricks that are supposed to be new. It is happening quite often enough to make me wonder if there are any honest people out there?

I also have one in the plastic box and that clearly has the blue film because I see no reflection at all when I look into it.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
I wonder why they did not put the film on the Cutting Edge and instead used the brown cardboard warning.

Just bought one of them too that was supposed to be new but the important side of the mirror had a smudge on it which ruins the trick.

Like I said I am sick and tired ... bla bla bla.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Not everybody who sells "Tenyo that are new" are dishonest people!
People who bought from me can attest that you will receive them in Brand New condition in unopened package!
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1919 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Some tricks are even better when used or tried ... like Excalibur and Wonder Window. Especially Wonder Window (the glue wore off anyway most of the time) I always suggest me taking it carefully out of the package and testing it for the buyer - if it doesn't work I can notify the person.

And also, when performing for example Eye OTI a few times (or Billscape, or Sutekina Trick, or Cutting Edge, or ...) there WILL be minor scratches/smudges, even if you store it as good as possible. So unless you really want a new, mint, UNOPENED trick (for trading/selling purposes) I don't see the problem. More then a third of my collection was 'second hand' and a lot of them have marks of 'usage' on them (scratches, stains, a bit of rust, ...). And in all the years that I have performed an item that was sligtly or even noticeable damaged/scratched/whatever (but works fine of course) I have NEVER had someone seeing or mentioning this. Of course is has scratches, shows some wear ... it's a magic trick that stood years of performing/playing with it! I also emphasize in some cases it is a real 'old' Japanese collectible trick (make your own story) and the marks of using it even add to the presentation!
Take Floating Lady (which I don't like as you might know from other threads) - when I show it in most cases people will see the scratches on the plastic plate and moving it up and down. So what? When they figure it out I compliment them and they're happy. They had a few minutes of fun of me telling a story and performing it and are happy they discovered the secret of one of the first self-working miracles produced by Tenyo. As said ... they had FUN, and that's what it's al about, entertainment. After Floating Lady I go to another Tenyo (for example Crystal Cleaver or Prison Box) which they can't figure out and tell them Tenyo became better/smarter ... . Same story with Ninja Experiment or Cutting Edge ... good for them if they find out. Especially Ninja Experiment is just a big illusion in miniature version ... it's cute the ladies say Smile
I'm not saying I prefer or like people figuring out my tricks but I know with some Tenyo they almost everytime do find the secret, and I'm OK with that.

Of course, when you pay for UNOPENED or the person who sold you the item clearly said it was unused/unopened and you receive it and is has clearly been opened and more important in some cases really damaged that won't be OK of course ... . So I completely understand Azzam's or anyone's frustration discovering you payed full price for a damaged/used trick that was presented 'new in package' to you.
As I know most of the Tenyo tricks I always ask specific questions when I buy a 'second hand' (most as a spare or for trading/selling) and some photos. Like: is the mirror 100% shiny and clear? Does the plastic have scratches on it? Does the spring still work fine? Are the magnets not loose ... ? In doubt don't hesitate to ask us here at the forum before you purchase the item.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I have owned 3 of the earlier models from 1982 where you can see the mirror through a plastic "window" in the packaging. One I opened way back then and I have no recollection of any film. Two others have been in storage, and when I inspected them a few years ago, the packaging had separated due to the glue drying. The mirrors do not have a film on them. I have no reason to believe anyone removed the mirrors and took the film off. But I am being told by a potential buyer that all unused will have a film on them.

So I am just interested to know if anyone can verify that at one time the earler packaging may not have included a film. So far there is one verification above that blue film is not always on this type of packaging, but I am also asking about a clear film.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
The best is to see the item in person which is almost never a possibility for me.

Next best is getting items from someone you can trust. Easier said than done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eclipse packaging question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL