The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What to do if you're a college student? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nigromante
View Profile
New user
I predict that I will have
67 Posts

Profile of Nigromante
Hey all! I'm currently a college student living a small apartment. I was wondering what suggestions you might have for me in the following areas.

Storage: It seems like every nook and cranny I have to my name is full of stuff, so I have room for everything, but it seems impossible to organize it effectively.
Creation: Obviously some effects require workspace to create them, and some effects require things like power tools. I lack both of those right now, but would like to get them.

So has anyone been in my situation and found a creative solution? If so please let me know what you did. Thanks in advance for the help!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
As far as organizing, I took a tip from Mike Close. Get several zip lock bags, 2 sizes. Organize them with ALL props and instructions each in it's own ziploc bag and label it. And then put 2 or 3 that work well together in a set in a larger bag. I keep mine in a big rubbermaid container.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I was in college, I concentrated on only a few effects. It's better to be really good at performing a few effects, than to be a jack of all trades.

If the material was being swapped in and out of show cases, I keep them in pencil boxes in a catalog case, for close-up. Stand-up stuff would simply be kept in a road case for the show.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1037 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Do material with props you can find anywhere, look into Bob Read's material.
rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
I have used ziplock bags in the past as pepka suggested. Those then go into a briefcase I use for storage. It is a fairly efficient method. How about using the ziplock bags and placing the bags in the pockets of an over-the-door shoe organizer? It would be able to store a significant amount of small apparatus in an easy to reach location.

Ray
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
Italia16
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Italia16
I agree with the zip lock bags. I put all of my gaffes cards (like Stand Up Monte) into separate bags and label them. I put all of the bags into a small storage container. I found that that was the best way I could stay organized. I have 2 storage containers, one for tricks and the other for extra decks and supplies.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Really can't say due to not knowing how large your apt is square footage wise. or the design of your space.
I used to use a hammock to store items when I went to ASU, use one in my kids room for his stuffed animals now.
shelves and plastic storage boxes. maybe a fold up futon bed or couch bed to give you more room in your space.
and if you have the resources, you could find another place to fit your needs space wise.
budgets are hard in school I know.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You need a cranny organizer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
A couple other ideas for some larger items perhaps...
* Your car trunk, if you have a car.
* Garage or attic of parents or a friend.
* Rental storage space, perhaps shared with a friend to reduce cost.
* Look for unused space in unusual spots...under the bed, kitchen cabinets (college students only own one bowl, one plate and one cup, right?) Add a shelf over your computer table.

My son and daughter both had similar problems while at college. Keep looking, solutions will appear!
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
As a college student myself.... All I can say that works for me is keeping it simple and practical.

I have 2 brief cases 1 to hold spare parts and replaceables. These items are not really for shows, more behind the scene material incase something goes wrong. This case also holds my Zombie.

The second brief case is the one the audience will see. All props are small and consist of linking rope, silks, sponge balls, TT, ruber bands, chop cup and Cups and balls.

As someone said earlier, it is better to nail down a few effects than to be a jack to the trade.

Now since I don't perform often professionally I leave my backdrop and other larger props at home with the family.

Golden rule of thumb... Keep it practical.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What to do if you're a college student? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL