The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Device? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
I have the DVD/performance rights but have yet to put this thing together. Where is the best place to order the electronics? For instance, I couldn't seem to find a comparable antennae at Radio Shack.

BTW, I really love the look of the two above teleportation devices. Very Nice!
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
You should really get Nick Wenger (remoteguy) to make you one. He's an artist as you can see above, and will give you something beautiful and reliable.
Ask him for a quote...he'll make one to your specifications and design. Awesome to deal with too.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3262 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You will have to manufacture the antenna. It is made from a male phono plug, a tube of brass, some wire, an alligator clip, and some nichrome wire.

There are only two circuits, one for sound and lights, and you can use any setup for that--my first was taken from a child's toy raygun--and one for the heating element.

Any modestly experienced electronics hobbyist should have no trouble. It is better to have it made if you are not proficient with a soldering gun and don't have much experience building electronic devices.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2563 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Pop's teleportation device routine is great. But for me the brilliant part of this routine isn't so much the 'teleportation device' itself as it is the construction of the routine. I realise of course that the device provides the framing for the effect and it is certainly a great theatrical ploy but I see it as being an excellent and inventive piece of window dressing as compared to the magnificent scaffolding on which the routine is fundamentally built.

The torn corner with the note found impossibly in the lemon is normally the end point for most magic acts... But Pop has made this just the start of the routine! The pointing out to the audience that they haven't considered some possibilities by which a magician might achieve such an apparent miracle... and doing it in a way that sounds credible while (given the handling) is patently ridiculous is a great set up for the even more, and previously unimagined, impossible 'signed' note to yet even more impossible location. There's all manner of ways this could have been done that wouldn't have produced the end result that Pop's routine creates.

The use of one miraculous effect, not to finish a show.... but to enhance, make better and destroy the audience with what is essentially the same effect repeated (but made even better) is just so well thought out. The second phase of this routine takes on a completely different, more pointed, significance. Never mind the all of the marvellous and inventive window dressing.... this (for me) is where the outstanding brilliance lies within this routine.

I certainly don't mean to rain on anyones parade regarding the delightful and interesting looking versions of the 'teleportation device' that have been displayed within this thread. They truly all look great... and the prop within the routine obviously serves a keystone function. It's just that this, for me, is not where the joy and brilliance of this particular piece of magical routining fundamentally lies.

I sometimes think we magicians can get caught up with the props we are using and in doing so we can inadvertently by default end up unwittingly undervaluing what really drives and makes an effect work. The performer (of course) and the routining.

If I was to ever include a bill to impossible location effect within my act the first thing I would do is that send Pop the cash for his routine.... not because I would perform it (the teleportation device just wouldn't suit me) but because the structuring of the effect and making it 'more' impossible in the finely balanced way that is within this routine is, on it's own, something I would want to include and something well worth paying for.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3262 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thank you, Neal. I appreciate that a lot. I think designing routines for the maximum impact is very important. Then I start working on the presentation and comedic aspects. Sometimes the character has to stretch in some ways to fit a new routine that the performer wants to do.

Don't let your character determine what magic you can do...change the character if possible. We get to write our own characters, and sometimes we are much too rigid, and don't let our own peculiarities, tastes and "eclectic loves" inform and stretch our characters.

But you are absolutely right to choose the strong method over any particular presentation.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well-said Sealegs, and I'm 100% on board.

My infatuation with the prop is just that it's so darn cool, and offers so many possibilities with back stories and set up. Kind of like magic foreplay. I know the routine is strong on its own, and could undoubtedly work with a shoe box - especially with how Pop delivers it. I just get all goose-bumply when I think about the bling potential.
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Quote:
On 2012-12-08 15:11, mjanes wrote:
By comparing the early video with the contemporary, we begin to see what decades of experience, insight, and creativity add. This is, to me, highly instructive and really valuable.
Doing so is paying our dues, not in dollars but in hours.
It is inspiring.

I agree with you strongly, mjarnes. His Comedy Linking Ring Routine is much the same way. You can see where the routine has matured between the older and more recent versions. I've been working on some things that have nothing at all to do with the Teleportation Device or Whit's Linking Rings Routine and I sometimes look at an older version and a more recent version of his routines to study his evolution of the two routines in order to better understand how to evolve entirely different routines. Timing, flow, humor, facial expressions, the structure of those routines. To me, they are great models, especially when you get to compare how the routines have evolved.

I will, however, disagree with one thing Whit said recently about his Teleportation Device. He said it kills 15 minutes. No way! I've watched that routine dozens of times and never have I felt like 15 minutes were killed!<g> Treasures!
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3262 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, Dean!
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Just finished this TD, it's only 1.5" thick.

Interior:

Nick
Marno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marno
What do the Sound and Fury signify?

;)
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of harbour
I'm waiting for a flight and reading some strings and come on to this and I cannot believe the posts and the audacity of some people.
Pop Haydn created this routine. He originated it. Tested it, tweaked it, performed it, tested some more, tweaked it some more and it has evolved as his professional persona has evolved. And people have the brass %%*$() to simply make one, perform it and think they can do so without buying rights to do so.
It's amazing to me.
Quite frankly, they cannot.
It's unethical, it's wrong, and I think Pop stays attached to this string because he wants what's rightfully his.
Stealing the routine and copying the props does not make one, an brilliant, award winning magician, and certainly not one very gracious professional.
Man up (pardon me, ladies), and pay the man the $50 for perfomance rights or even one better,
Make up your own routine.
Make up your own unique character.
Develop your own performance-
Test it.
Perform it.
Tweak it.
Perform it, again,
and repeat for 15 to twenty years
You'll be a better professional and original!
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of harbour
Further, If you think this routine, is all about the prop, you're not perfoming the effect.
It's "so cool" as someone wrote, because Pop made it cool.
I'm boarding my flight-
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 01:38, harbour wrote:
I'm waiting for a flight and reading some strings and come on to this and I cannot believe the posts and the audacity of some people.
Pop Haydn created this routine. He originated it. Tested it, tweaked it, performed it, tested some more, tweaked it some more and it has evolved as his professional persona has evolved. And people have the brass %%*$() to simply make one, perform it and think they can do so without buying rights to do so.
It's amazing to me.
Quite frankly, they cannot.
It's unethical, it's wrong, and I think Pop stays attached to this string because he wants what's rightfully his.
Stealing the routine and copying the props does not make one, an brilliant, award winning magician, and certainly not one very gracious professional.
Man up (pardon me, ladies), and pay the man the $50 for perfomance rights or even one better,
Make up your own routine.
Make up your own unique character.
Develop your own performance-
Test it.
Perform it.
Tweak it.
Perform it, again,
and repeat for 15 to twenty years
You'll be a better professional and original!

Every person I have built the prop for purchased the rights from Pop.

Nick
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 23:22, Marno wrote:
What do the Sound and Fury signify?

;)

It was what the customer requested.

Nick
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Funny, I thought it signified nothing.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5198 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Pay no attention to Woland's Shakespeare jab Nick, it's another beautiful piece. Someday one of those will be mine. (And yes harbour, I will buy the rights first. Pop deserves that and more).
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
No jab at the piece, just commenting on the customer's [I]Faulknerian[/] allusion. I think these devices are lovely, and I'm at the point of ordering the plans for one myself . . . .
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Remote guy,

Can you PM me with your current prices?

Thanks,

Ryan
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Smile While Pop may claim to have invented the first practical teleportation device, a Mr St Clair has invented and filed a patent for a Full Body Teleportation System.

Paragraph [0010] of the patent application description will be of particular interest to stage magicians as he exposes the ancient Chinese form of breathing known as Chi Kung. Using this breathing technique, he has been able to levitate the human body over six feet in the air.
Smile

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars......60071122
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Great find, Mr. Tait! Unfortunately my "Chakra Vortex Accelerator" isn't working at the moment, and I am not sure where I can find another one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Device? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL