The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man, it'd be funny if (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-05-12 10:50, EsnRedshirt wrote:
After Citizens United, private citizens can have a lot of political influence. Same for corporations. I haven't researched it, but it could be they are tracking down anonymous donations that were previously illegal, but now made possible through SuperPACs and other financial shenanigans.

That is true. The names of all "high roller" donors should be made public. It should be obvious that corporate donors expect a quid pro quo for their donations. Knowing who's donating what it a clear indication of what they likely expect in return. It shows whose interests a candidate may or not be beholden to.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-11 20:32, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob,

When did President Nixon ever send the IRS after his political opponents?

You specifically asked about political opponents and not private citizens. That's why I provided the Wallace example.

In any event, I think it is well established that what the Obama campaign is doing is hardly unprecedented or "depraved" in the least. (Refer to the "dirty tricks" and Rove material I linked to earlier.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-05-10 02:20, critter wrote:
Idaho, where many in attendance will be racist lumberjacks." Smile

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16......3D161341
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
So the article says Salmon, but then his property is at Priest Lake. I'm not sure which one they mean is neighboring CDL. Salmon is no where near CDL or Priest. CDL is right next to Spokane. CDL is also a little ways from Priest, not what I was call "neighboring," but closer than Salmon.
Salmon is also not where he was running, as Salmon is in Lemhi county. So I guess the Reuters must have just picked up the story from a Salmon newspaper or something.

I lived in Salmon and my family has property at Priest. Salmon was still a very hardcore right-wing lumberjack town when I was a teen, but it's been relaxing over time. Priest has always been much more of an artistic lake community. There even used to be a movie studio there in the silent days, and the owner, Nell Shipman, was an early animal-rights activist and an icon for feminists.

I was doing a bit of satire in my original post there. The CDL area has actually made great progress in reducing the activities of the Klan and making it clear that they are no longer approved of by the populace.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-05-10 16:46, mastermindreader wrote:
Lobo-

In essence, then, I agree with you. But I gave a link earlier that gave over forty examples of pro-gay intiatives taken by this administration since 2008 and prior to yesterdays statement by the President. While he may be affirming a de facto status quo, it is nonetheless a status quo that did not exist when he took office and for which he deserves, IMO, substantial credit.

In case it was missed by any interested parties here, David Blankenhorn, the founder of the conservative Institute for American Values, recently decided to switch his stance and now "accept gay marriage and emphasize the good that it can do."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/opinio......ged.html

http://www.americanvalues.org/

I missed the news the first time around, but thankfully National Review is still harping on it so I eventually heard about it there. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 01:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Wow.

Is that sarcasm or were you really astonished about his switch? I believe you were expressing the latter. But hereabouts, you never know.

Or were you astonished at the fact that I read National Review. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No irony intended; that's a big change.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-04 01:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:

No irony intended; that's a big change.

You may enjoy reading the National Review article about it. Basically, Blankenhorn, along with Roberts, was bullied by the liberals.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/3......s-prager
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's funny Balducci. Ironic that when someone acknowledges that people deserve equality under the law, the fringe will argue that he must have been bullied into it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They got to Obama, too.

Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 16:02, mastermindreader wrote:
Stop it, Lobo! You just made me spit out my coffee!

Tommy's supposed to start the rabble rousing threads. We're not supposed to chime in until later - just before they get deleted.

:eek:

Spitting out coffee beats spitting out soda. It's less sticky when it's on your desk.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I was very impressed at the headline, less so as I read Blakenhorn's reasoning. Still pretty homophobic IMO. But any movement in a fairer direction is to be encouraged.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Professor Walter Russell Mead at Bard College has proposed the following emendations to the Declaration of Independence. How many of us would subscribe to this one, today?

Quote:
The unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen Post-Colonial, Multi-Racial Societes of North America

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to strengthen the political bands which have connected them with the Global Community, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the cooperative and deferential station which a careful review of the relevant peer reviewed literature suggests is most appropriate for long term win-win outcomes, a decent and rigorously equal respect to the opinions of woman- and man- and transkind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the ever deeper union.

We hold these views to be consistent with the evolving cultural consensus, that all humans are equally obliged to the performance of certain Duties, that among these are the Participation in the Struggle against Racism, Economic Injustice, Genetically Modified Organisms, Homophobia, Nationalism and the Excessive Emission of Carbon Dioxide and Other Greenhouse Gasses. That to secure the performance of these Duties, Governments are instituted among humans, deriving their just powers from the considered Opinions of the Educated Classes, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Duty of the Enlightened and Credentialed Guardians of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect the Unquestioning Performance of their Duties by the Less Enlightened Members of the Public. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Change cannot come too quickly to suit the Convenience and the Predilections of an Enlightened Minority; Governments long established should be changed the Moment a Sufficient Number of Well Regarded Contributors to the New York Review of Books have determined that such Change is Morally Incumbent; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that intellectuals who have never run anything in their lives are the Fittest of all Living People to remedy virtually any evil by abolishing the forms of Government, Laws and Customs of Society to which the brutish and unreflective Common People are accustomed. And when a long train of abuses and usurpations pursuing invariably the same Failed Dogmas of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy evinces a design to allow said Common People to evade all obligations to the Global Community, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide New and Expanded Regulations for the future better restriction of the Lower Orders as they deem Meet for the Purpose.

Happy Fourth!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man, it'd be funny if (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL