The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What other magic do you collect? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5273 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
You're absolutely right simcoscor, while completely different in method and effect (ring on vs. ring off), they are perfect companion pieces. Somehow to me though, Blockbuster is more of a fooler. I think it's because it's so visual... the ring goes in empty, and comes out with a thick ribbon attached. Very effective.

edshern... you are absolutely correct. Do not collect quality magic if you want to hold on to your money. I don't regret my hobby, but there are certainly less expensive interests to have Smile
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2274 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
I can't agree more, Wizard. Blockbuster is way more effective! It fools you even if you know the secret... But... Only The Enchanted Ring is fully examinable. That is also why they are perfect companions... Smile
ThatsCool
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of ThatsCool
Quote:
On 2012-03-08 03:12, Killertweety wrote:
last year I bought Micro Psychic from Kreis, have any Magic Wagon or Alan Warner item yet but I suppose that could change in the future.

I bought that too. Nicely crafted and a cool piece of technology. Unfortunately it's pretty noisy Smile .
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3442 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On 2012-03-09 19:48, simcoscor wrote:
I can't agree more, Wizard. Blockbuster is way more effective! It fools you even if you know the secret... But... Only The Enchanted Ring is fully examinable. That is also why they are perfect companions... Smile

Will have to respectfully disagree <g>. I truly think the Enchanted Ring effect is the most "elegant" solution to a close-up penetration effect I have seen. Three simple items pin, bracelet and small block all examinable. Combine the items... held at your extreme fingertips.... gently placed in the spectators hand... they do the penetration... they immediately examine everything... super clean clear effect. I have great respect for Terri Rogers and her/his many creations and Blockbuster is indeed a clever method. I fully understand the method from the book "Top Secrets" and have seen it performed, have never purchased as many of the reviews in the past have been mixed. Given your's and Wizard's endorsement will now cosider a purchase.

Cheers,

John
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2274 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
For me, the strenght of Blockbuster is that the spectator clearly sees that the ring is off the lace, and the second after, he clearly sees it's in the lace...It's visual and looks impossible... With the Enchanted Ring, it "only" seems to the spectator that the ring is prisonner below the pin before it disengages magically...
But in any case I agree with you that T.E.R. being fully examinable both before and after is very strong. Blockbuster isn't at all examinable. And the fact that the T.E.R's magic happens in the spectator's hand is also very effective! Smile
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of edshern
When I watched the blockbuster video it seems like you can't pull the ribbon on the ring all the way out of the block. If true then the trick really never gets finished.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3442 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hi Ed, below is an old thread that talks to the pros and cons of Block Buster...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

The visual of the ring penetrating onto the ribbon is very pretty but the ribbon cannot be removed and nothing is examinable at the end. I guess the same could be said for many Tenyo items. I still prefer Enchanted Ring <g> but am going to pick one of these up when I have a chance. The creator Terri Rogers definitely was thinking outside the box when she came up with the concept behind it.

John
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
While I collect tenyo. I also collect mikame and viking products too. and coins made by lassen schoolcraft and kueppers.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I like the Masuda props and idea. It's like Tenyo with clever idea, often playing cards tricks.
I have been in touch with the French Francois Danis http://danis-magic.com and his trick are very beautiful with always great story routine for each trick he made. Very collectible and rare wood props. It is important to encourage that kind of person who hame made quality magic tricks.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The only other magic I collect is the opposite of Tenyo (plastic), which are items made by Theodore DeLand 100 years ago (all paper).
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3442 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes and we are excited to see that book come out!...
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

Working on it ...
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of edshern
What book is that?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

600 page book on the life and creations of Theodore DeLand, creator of many of the most famous gaffed card tricks. It will come with a specially-printed deck that allows you to perform 19 of the tricks in the book.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3442 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
That sounds great Richard!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5273 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Count me in.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On 2012-03-13 15:52, Richard Kaufman wrote:
600 page book on the life and creations of Theodore DeLand, creator of many of the most famous gaffed card tricks. It will come with a specially-printed deck that allows you to perform 19 of the tricks in the book.

Richard, has this been published yet?
Ed
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

No--at the moment I am using Photoshop (which my wife just taught me how to use) to drop out the thousands of cards I've scanned. Then I have to lay it out using InDesign, which is also something which has to be explained to me. Muddling through.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What other magic do you collect? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL