The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Matching Vanish / Appear cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Hi!
I read on these forums quite a bit on this subject, with no definitive solution. I'm not a magician, but rather a dancer in a group (swing and charleston) that's looking to create a transported cane effect during a charleston section.
So I'm looking for closely matching color/length appearing and vanishing canes.

First question: I heard that roll-style appearing (also in vanishing??) canes by MJM Magic are all right, such as http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/appearing-......650.html
Is it true that roll-style is as quick and reliable as coils?

Second question: who makes a good set? Options I've seen so far:
1) In some other threads, people suggested Tannen, but then I read on here that colors fade after some practice. My partner and I will be learning this trick, so we will be practicing a lot--which would cause them to fade and scratch.

http://dev.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=p......1&p=3737
http://dev.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=p......1&p=3972

2) I also heard Tony Spina is great, but they're hard to find, and a matching set is tricky.
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Stage-V......5915.htm

3) Mahka Tendo seems awesome by all accounts, but hard to find and too expensive.

Any advice? Thanks, I appreciate it!

EDIT: I've also heard that metal disappearing canes can cause injury (frequent cuts when learning, etc). Are there any convincing cane styles that are safe, or will metal always require significant care?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have a matching set of Tannen Vanishing and Appearing Metal Canes for sale. PM me if seriously interested. These are among the best. They do need a little care and attention. As with anything, they do not respond well to neglect.

What do you mean by convincing?

I do not recommend the roll type canes they will not last.

Fantasio Vanishing and Appearing Canes would be a good selection, make sure it is a Fantasio product and not one of copies from India or China.
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Thanks. Are yours silver or dark blue? A reply from Tannen says their latest canes are silver.

Any thoughts on the dangers of working with a metal Tannen vanishing cane, versus the Fantasio you recommended? One point is that this will be used during a dance under tired conditions.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi jblcclbj

I recommend the Spina appearing cane and a Fantasio vanishing cane both in black and white as a good match.

The Spina vanishing cane does not match the Spina appearing one, the Spina vanishing cane is gunmetal blue and will not extend long enough to match.

The Fantasio cane is fine for vanishing and safe. They can be twisted to the same length as the Spina appearing cane. The Fantasia appearing canes are too slow especially if a silk is involved.

Best of luck.
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Thanks Bill, that is very valuable advice.

I've altered the idea a bit, and there will only be *appearing* canes, no vanishing canes.

If having a non-silver (blue or black) cane is desirable, as well as quick appearance, sturdiness, and robustness to practice and scratching / chipping, would you recommend Spina or Tannen? I hear conflicting things on the current color of the canes.
A few other desirable things:
-short roll, for easier concealment while dancing; there will be no silks, only the concealed prop in hand.
-resistance to accidental opening (we'll be dancing about 10 s of high energy dance with them concealed), but still easy to open.
-sturdy when opened.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi all! Smile

As to the vanishing cane being dangerous...

I had a Walsh metal vanishing cane I bought from Tannen's back in the 70's. Practicing with it, it cut me. Not bad, but definitely something I took seriously enough to retire it. I bought a Fantasio at Hank Lee's suggestion, and had that for almost 20 years!

The metal appearing cane can be dangerous if it's pointed at someone! It can also hit YOU, and possibly put an eye out! With these ideas in mind, I'm sure you'll agree, that practice with these is PARAMOUNT to performing safely! Smile

Doug
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Thanks! Also, any thoughts on Tannen vs. Spina for what I'm looking to do?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tony Spina used to own Tannen's, he purchased the business from the Tannen Brothers. Tony Spina no longer owns the business, he sold it to another person.

Spina/Tannen they are the same thing. Tannen's the business had some Vanishing and Appearing Canes they referred to as Superior.

They were a very dark blue color. The Vanishing has a unique ball aluminum cap, and the Appearing has a nice silver strip for the handle end.

I have both, and they are Superior, and dark blue.

I mentioned this before, but since Bill Appleton posted his experience, I will explain the police again.

When Tony Spina took over the business, he decided to make a policy, when someone ordered a product, they could substitute a product if it was the same type of trick and close to the value.

Thus that is why, he received no matching canes, one dark blue and one black. I don't like this policy and only would order through a dealer any product Tannen's would manufacturer and sell. That way I could see I was not being sent the item I did not order. If you order from Tannen's, you agree to this foolish policy.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Bill I wasn't aware of that. My metal blue disappearing cane is too short, maybe 32 inches max extension. Does that sound right?
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Ah, thanks Bill for that history. Now the other posts make more sense.

The reply I got from Tannen's is unfortunate, but consistent with what you said about substituting something other than what's shown in the photos:
"The metal appearing and vanishing canes we have are absolutely identical in color and length. The are both silver rather than steel blue though."

Is there a known source for non-steel colored canes?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 19:52, jblcclbj wrote:

The reply I got from Tannen's is unfortunate, but consistent with what you said about substituting something other than what's shown in the photos:
"The metal appearing and vanishing canes we have are absolutely identical in color and length. The are both silver rather than steel blue though."

http://www.fantasio.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 19:48, billappleton wrote:
Thanks Bill I wasn't aware of that. My metal blue disappearing cane is too short, maybe 32 inches max extension. Does that sound right?

Yes, that sounds like the standard size for a walking stick. The Vanishing you can extend a bit longer, and tighten before putting on the cap. If you need it longer, you can of course line the inside of the cap to be smaller in diameter, but I found them to be just fine as they are supplied. If you extend to far, you run the risk of accidents happening.

Please read the directions for the proper method to set-up a Vanishing Cane. Nothing is ever forced into place.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 20:11, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 19:52, jblcclbj wrote:

http://www.fantasio.com Available in Red, White, Black, and Silver.
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Sorry, what I meant is, is there a source for the non-silver (and metal) Tannen's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-23 21:54, jblcclbj wrote:
Sorry, what I meant is, is there a source for the non-silver (and metal) Tannen's.

Currently on the market I do not know of any black metal canes on the market. The last supplier of quality metal black canes was Loftus Novelty. These were a coated silver cane with some kind of black material bonded to it. They never needed oiling, which meant very low maintenance. They also had the spring release feature that made them sure fire without looking. I reviewed them here on the Caf� and they quickly sold out. No new supplies have been available for over a year.

Canes come and go in spurts and if you do not buy when they are available, then you are out of luck. German canes used to be available all the time, but the India market ran them out of business.

I will only recommend what I am familiar with, and have handled. Right now there is again a shortage on Appearing metal black canes. Even the famous Marko Tendo canes are out of stock. Purchase at your own risk of being disappointed.
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
That's good to know, thanks.

So, it seems my only option is to either hope a pair of matching blue or black canes come up on eBay, or purchase the silver ones from Tannen. Would you say that's accurate?

I haven't gotten any reply from Tony Spino after sending him an email from his site, so I think getting directly from him is also out.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Again Tony Spina is sort of retired and not dealing in magic to my knowledge, he no longer is associated with Tannen's. His site says he is making the canes. So I see there are 2 email addresses, you can try again to see if he has stock.

The note about the steal being to expensive to make a projected project for Wands, my be also true for canes, but you have to confirm that with Tony Spina.

Tannen's says here that the blue canes have been discontinued.
http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=......l&p=3972

What should you do, put you desire for Appearing Canes on the back burner until the market opens up again. You could also research applying gun blue or gun black to your silver canes. Any gun store sells the dye, and possibly advise you if it will effect the metal to greatly. I am told that the chemical heats up the metal, this could affect the steel, but it all depends on the temperature that is created.

Lastly, my Superior Canes are still available.
jblcclbj
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jblcclbj
Thanks! That's again very helpful. Yes, I email-d Tony at the address on his personal page, but haven't heard back.

I'll need the canes inside of a few weeks though due to a gig, so I can't put the plans on hold. I'd have definitely purchased your canes, except that the act no longer needs a vanishing and appearing, but two matching appearing.

We may have to slightly alter our plans (not ideal) and go with silver, if there's no other choice...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Did you send to both addresses?

tonyspinamagic@yahoo.com

tspina@hvc.rr.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey, I'm curious guys...any of you ever get cut by a Walsh VC? I know I can't be the only one...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Matching Vanish / Appear cane (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL