The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not everyone likes Judge Judy...but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 14:48, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 12:42, Andrew Zuber wrote:

I think Judy is awesome. And yes, she is a judge - she's not an actress, and her decisions are legally binding. A good friend of mine appeared on her show once and won his case. The defendant was required by the state of California to pay the money he was being sued for.

According to the previously posted article Judge Judy is not a Judge. She was one at one time in a different state but has no legal authority in California. Even if she were still a practicing judge her opinions would have no legal merit as she is practicing under the auspices of a production company and not the state. She is an arbiter and the concerned parities have signed documents agreeing to adhere to her decisions. The fines are paid by the production company and the participants are each given an appearance fee of $500.00. They are also told this fee will be revoked if they don't play along and are often told to change their testimony to make it more theatrical.

It's television, not real life. Thus anything you see on the program is suspect.

Lets you and I agree here! YAY.

Judge Judy is pretty much an arbitrator. Sound fair?

The way the payouts work, or at least as is my understanding is that the maximum judgement of say $5,000 is doubled and put into an account. (An example.) The judgement comes out of that money, and then the rest is split equally between the participants.

I think it works this way. So people don't even pay the judgements.

Again it is TV, not law.

She was indeed a judge at one time and has probably a better opinion on the law than say... me. But not sure how much she has an impact on precident.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 14:48, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 12:42, Andrew Zuber wrote:

I think Judy is awesome. And yes, she is a judge - she's not an actress, and her decisions are legally binding. A good friend of mine appeared on her show once and won his case. The defendant was required by the state of California to pay the money he was being sued for.

According to the previously posted article Judge Judy is not a Judge. She was one at one time in a different state but has no legal authority in California. Even if she were still a practicing judge her opinions would have no legal merit as she is practicing under the auspices of a production company and not the state. She is an arbiter and the concerned parities have signed documents agreeing to adhere to her decisions. The fines are paid by the production company and the participants are each given an appearance fee of $500.00. They are also told this fee will be revoked if they don't play along and are often told to change their testimony to make it more theatrical.

It's television, not real life. Thus anything you see on the program is suspect.

Very interesting information. I really thought she was a judge in Calif. I am probably not the only one who has been fooled.

Now just don't tell me wrestling is not real. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Just some info I found on Judge Judy:

Annual Salary according to Forbes:2005 Earnings : $25 million

2007 Earnings : $30 million

2008 Earnings : $45 million

2010 Earnings : $45 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The meanest grandmother you never had, Judge Judy has earned hundreds of millions of dollars dispensing fake courtroom advice on her syndicated TV show.

While Oprah Winfrey is busy doling out gifts, daytime rival Judge Judy spends her television time administering tough love. The latter has proved a successful formula for the judge, who frequently trumps Winfrey in the ratings. Still better for the 68-year-old star: Her series brings in a cool $45 million last year. America’s most-watched courtroom has entered its 15th season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think she dethroned Oprah as the daytime queen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I'm a fan. It's obvious there are adjustments made to keep it entertaining but it allows a bit of a window into real life and she does express some common sense which a lot of the people who front her 'court' seem short of. There's an element of acting but that's no different to real courts - there's better actors in most justice systems than in Hollywood. She sometimes takes astonishing leaps of judgement apparently based on no evidence whatsoever, just her own intuition and experience, and very often seems to have reached the correct conclusion.

I find watching her like watching Springer with less guilt. It's fun to feel all superior about the ignorant willing to put their failings on world wide display for a few bucks.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Judge Judy and every other court show should be collectively titled, "Idiots on parade"
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never forget the show is heavily edited for TV. SOME of those jumps are not so big but simply on the cutting room floor.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Not everyone likes Judge Judy...but... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL