The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for a good Knife thru Cloth Napkin routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
As a restaurant guy I'm looking for a good knife thru cloth napkin routine, as the restaurants where I perform all have cloth napkins. I thought I'd like to add this to my set. Years ago when smoking was more acceptable, I performed Jarrow's "Hankey Pankey" routine. It was a lit cigarette thru a handkerchief and a square of newspaper routine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Check out the Phantom Knife:

http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......ts_id=63

I was just performing this the other evening in a walk-around situation with the cloth napkins on the table and it worked great. Also, the Jarrow ending is used for the finale in this routine, making for a spectacular finish.

It really received some amazed reactions from spectators.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Jim,

I really had a lot of fun with Jarrow's routine. Must have performed it hundreds of times over the years. I was really sad to have to drop it when smoking became unacceptable. Although, I've never smoked, I was happy to see someone lite-up at an event I was performing at. Happy to hear that Jarrow's ending is still alive and well as it really fried everyone. Just saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXC4J-E6jI However, I prefer the knife used in the video rather than the Swiss-style knife.

Phantom Knife is a consideration. Would like to hear about other routines also.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 19:23, Jim Sisti wrote:
Check out the Phantom Knife:

http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......ts_id=63

I was just performing this the other evening in a walk-around situation with the cloth napkins on the table and it worked great. Also, the Jarrow ending is used for the finale in this routine, making for a spectacular finish.

It really received some amazed reactions from spectators.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Who would have thought that a classic could still play today. After all, it was never sold by T11...????
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-03-15 21:26, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Who would have thought that a classic could still play today. After all, it was never sold by T11...????

LOL Some of the best sources for new material, that few are doing, comes in the form of inexpensive booklets, some of them quite old. I look at some of the Vegas headliners and some of them get much of their material from these booklets or from Tarbell.

I remember a knife thru coat routine in a set of McComb/Seabrooke notes. No expensive props required and the handling was quite ingenious.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
There is a great Knife Thru Coat in Tarbell, and Tony Clark offers up a very nice impromptu version.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
What I'm really looking for is a close-up table-side version. As a restaurant guy, all the restaurants where I perform have cloth napkins. I thought it would be nice to incorporate a close-up version suitable for table-side using the napkins.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
In that case, check out the Tony Clark version - it can play close-up, parlor and stage. The only thing you would have to supply is a piece of paper because the restaurant would have the napkins and the knife. That is the bonus with that routine - you can use objects that have been on the table in front of the audience the entire time.

If anyone gets bugged out about using the knife/napkin after you have handled it (no matter how clean your hands really are), you can offer to have a new set brought to the table for them. That is IF that ever happens, should you choose this particular handling.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I would think that Phantom Knife would work with cloth napkins or a table cloth. I don't own one so I can't say for sure.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Slyhand,

I believe you are right that Phantom Knife would work. However, I'm not a big fan of the swiss-style knife being offered. I prefer the style of knife used in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXC4J-E6jI
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Ok, gotcha.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jay Marshal put out a Knife Thru Coat routine and the pamphlet is about 4 bucks from Magic Inc. I think it could be pretty easily adapted if they still have it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
My vote goes to Tony Clark, it is one that is easy to do and works well.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Thanks to everyone who responded with their suggestions.
nicolas1447
View Profile
New user
France & UK
17 Posts

Profile of nicolas1447
I just bought David Williamson lecture at international magic which was recorded in 1989 and he also has a knife through napkin routine that you can perform at table
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for a good Knife thru Cloth Napkin routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL