The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Run in with the police last night... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Check to see if the city has a Fire Marshal. That person would/should have all the answers to anything fire related.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 09:17, Police Magician wrote:

Ed, that term of the cops having discretion on it sounds horrible. That means they can shut you down for no reason. I will say that there are some cops who go overboard with their authority just to bust someone's chops, which is wrong. Sorry to hear you encountered such a cop. They give us a black eye in this business when they overstep their bounds.



As I've said; I was stopped about five times. (Five different cops)Once was the lt. who didn't care that I had a license. I was turning "his" street into a "circus" and he "wasn't going to have it." He also considered my "passive bucket" a "direct solicitation" for funds (in direct opposition to what the License Board told me.) He said; "If you didn't have that bucket out, I might consider it." Which made no sense to me. If he was concerned about turning "his" street into a "circus," how would the bucket not being out have any effect on that? Second cop wanted to see my license... I'd left it home. I packed up since I'd entered into an agreement and hadn't kept up my part. Third time, he didn't even ask for my license, he just want to see that I wasn't directly asking for money and seemed to enjoy himself. Fourth time, he looked at the license, looked at my driver's license to verify I was the person who was entitled to hold the busker's license and then told me to continue. The last time was the officer who claimed the license was only good for a year (again, in direct opposition to what the License Board told me.) So I've had the license re-typed with "License does not expire" written on it. (Sadly, they also added; "License is not valid for Waterfire events" since Waterfire has to authorize and and all performers) I've also had my driver's license updated since I don't need him claiming that an expired license cannot be used to prove identity.

Now Chance will say I shouldn't have had to do any of that and that busking should be free to all as a form of free expression. He may be right. But I was raised to follow the rules and try to do so whenever possible. I just get annoyed when they change the rules midstream.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Chance is right, but that doesn't make you wrong.

Speaking only for myself here, I am no more qualified to sue a city than I am to perform open heart surgery.

No disrespect intended here Ed ... but I don't think you are either. Let the singers sing, the dancers dance, and the lawyers can practice law.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Cops are scum... be glad they didn't kill you or arrest you and charge you with something.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Cops are not "scum." They're just people trying to do a miserable job as best they can. Some of them are just better at it than others.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 02:24, AdamChance wrote:
Cops are scum... be glad they didn't kill you or arrest you and charge you with something.
That is pure BULL CRAP!!!! and you know it!! Cops see people at the worst times of their lives, as victims of or as commuting crimes. Yet they are almost ALWAYS polite and sincere when dealing with the public. When eveer I travel, either business or pleasure, I set up and busk. I have done this in most of the contigous 48 states plus much of Europe. When I was in places where it was against the law, a cop would always explain to me that it was illegal and why he thought the law was imposed. I always treated the officer with respect and the worst thing that ever happened was I was told to stop, which I did. ususally I'll ask "can I finish this one show and pass the hat?" Most of the time the officer says "OK but this is it." And I still make some money from that show.

if you experience varies start to look at yourself and how YOU come across to the cop, not how he comes across to you. You get back what you give them, a smark alek will suffer the consequences of being a smart alek
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Ed, Paddy, thanks for the kind words about cops. Adam may have had some problems with cops that got his mindset about them. I do know that some, as mentioned earlier, do overstep their bounds which will give people a bad impression of them. I do know that many are good and decent people as both of you have stated.

I don't apologise for anyone but myself as I have no control over other cops. I hope Adam encounters some good ones to see that not all are bad. It only takes one bad cop to have people stereotype all of us.

Glenn
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You handled that a lot better than I would have Glenn, I had to refrain myself from commenting.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
With that kind of an attitude, Adam- it's no wonder you've had difficulties with the police.

WHEN exactly did basic respect and civility fall to the wayside?

Let me put it another way:

He has a badge, gun, handcuffs and the right to use them as well as a working knowledge of the law.
You don't.

Seems like a simple enough equation to me.

Now, on an unrelated related note:
White gas and gasoline are the same thing. The only difference is the level of petroleum refinement.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 02:24, AdamChance wrote:
Cops are scum... be glad they didn't kill you or arrest you and charge you with something.

Spouting out wide sweeping generalizations during in my youth,
is one of the things, that I don't miss from those foolish days.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-03-27 11:02, Police Magician wrote:
It only takes one bad cop to have people stereotype all of us.

Glenn


The same can be said about magicians....
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Wow, I am impressed with how mature most people are being about that little spat...

I have continued poking around for information, and I will probably be going by the courthouse this weekend to talk to some folk face to face. I will let everyone know how it goes.

(And let's just call my fuel Coleman Fuel, to avoid confusion.)
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-03-27 16:20, Ekuth wrote:
With that kind of an attitude, Adam- it's no wonder you've had difficulties with the police.

WHEN exactly did basic respect and civility fall to the wayside?

Let me put it another way:

He has a badge, gun, handcuffs and the right to use them as well as a working knowledge of the law.
You don't.

Seems like a simple enough equation to me.

Now, on an unrelated related note:
White gas and gasoline are the same thing. The only difference is the level of petroleum refinement.


I've never had difficulties with the police myself.

it just seems like every week, I'm reading stories about cops shooting innocent people, beating people up for no good reason, shooting the family dog for no reason... just doing completely crazy stuff. and this happens all the time.

in many places, the cops are really corrupt... sometimes to the point where there's not one cop that is not on the take in city. ever see the movie serpico? that was a true story... and that stuff still happens today.

the police almost never get in trouble. it's extremely rare that a cop is charged, and even rarer that they're sentenced to any jail time. they NEVER rat on other cops. they lie for each other constantly. they have no problems lying to put you in jail. and the few cops that don't do these kinds of things, they never rat on the cops that do.

watch this film to see how the cops behaved in my city a couple years ago during the g20 summit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YqU9lr9G-0

about a year ago... just down the street from where I live.... there was a mentally handicapped guy going to get pizza with his mother... the cops tried to talk to him, the guy couldn't really respond because he was retarded and didn't know what was happening... the cops tackled him, smashed his head into the ground and he died. they murdered him in broad daylight for no reason... and none of them got in any trouble, let alone charged with a crime.

or just go ahead and type in "police brutality" into youtube and watch some videos. or check out this guy's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CopsOutofControl

so my advice is to stay away from cops... don't talk to them... don't ever call them unless it's absolutely necessary. you never know when they'll decide to beat you up and charge you with resisting arrest.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Adam, quoting you tube as evidence of universal police brutality is like quoting Readers Digest in a doctoral thesis. Look at FACTS and you will find that, yes there is a small minority probably <1% of cops that are bad. You're like the idiots that say all buskers are just bums and it's another way of begging for money. None of us have any real talent because a couple of dirty lazy bums try to do a card trick to get money.

Use LOGIC instead of your kidneys before making statements that make you appear stupid
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Adam, I can see where you would stereotype all cops for the sins of a few. I know for a fact that cops who have broken the law have been punished and sent to prison for their wrongdoings. Our agency had a couple go to prison for violating the law and their oath of office.

All I am saying is that not all are like this. I have read accounts from the media as well. One such account I knew about. The media got it wrong and did not give the full story just to sell papers. They played on the ratings scale as long as they could to sell papers. When the full story was shown, by another form of media, the newspaper had to come clean on it, although they stated they did not have the full story, which I knew was a lie, as I knew the reporter was at the same conference the others were and did not report it all.

I used to be the public information officer for our agency. One television station made a mistake one night about a training exercise that was faxed to them way in advance of what would take place. They reported it as a real disaster and blamed us. I had the fax shown where they received it. I asked for a public apology to us and the other agencies they blamed. They did not make such an apology. Therefore, they got no more news from me for the rest of the time I was in that office.

Yes, I am familar with the media and some of the stunts they do as well, but I don't stereotype all of them. I go on an individual basis, not as a whole. For me to blame a group for the wrong of one person is unjustified. I hope you see my point on this. You may need a cop one day to save your life. I hope not, but if that happens, I hope you will be grateful to them and not berate them, especially if the cop gives his life to save yours.

Glenn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Let's also keep in mind that there is a difference between corrupt and overzealous. Two of the three cops that made me move on were simply overzealous; one refused to acknowledge my license, the other insisted the license was expired although I tried to tell him it wasn't. The last one was just doing his job as I didn't have the license with me.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
People are not retarded!
They are mentally challenged.
The only retarded person here is Adam with his ignorant comments.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
When I woke up today... here's another story that was posted on my facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUhRwFACo0Y

this stuff happens literally all the time. and I'm willing to bet any amount of money that these cops don't get charged with assault.

in my last post I said "you never know when they'll decide to beat you up and charge you with resisting arrest." ... and then today I see a story on my facebook about a guy who the cops beat up for no reason and charged him with resisting arrest in my city. am I psychic? no.... I just know that this sort of stuff is commonplace.

also... it's a lot more than just a bad 1% of cops. but my big problem is that when the "bad apples" commit crimes, they hide behind the blue wall of silence. police are worse than gang members when it comes to keeping your mouth shut and not ratting on one of your own. so if there are "good cops" out there... they let the bad cops run wild.... which doesn't make them "good cops" in my books.

and sure... there's the occasional time where the media gets the story wrong. but there are probably a hundred other times where the media doesn't cover the story at all, because there's no video evidence and it's the word of one person against a group of officers.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 09:48, Octopus Sun wrote:
People are not retarded!
They are mentally challenged.
The only retarded person here is Adam with his ignorant comments.


mentally challenged and retarded mean the same thing.

if you say something like "that magic trick is retarded" ... that not politically correct. but there's nothing wrong with calling a mentally handicapped person mentally retarded.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Adam, I will say one more thing and I will be done. Some cops will not rat out the others, but they, too, can be charged if they know something and don't reveal it during an investigation. I will tell the truth if I am knowledgable on something against a person. It is my sworn duty. I am a loner, which means I don't hang out with my cop buddies. I have my family, my children, grand children and great grandchildren that I am with most of my off time.

When I was a deputy in New York state years ago, there was a deputy who treated inmates bad. He was verbally abusive toward them. One day I was assigned to transport some of them from the county jail to state prison. The deputy they assigned to me for this was this abusive deputy. I went to the Chief Deputy and told him I would not make the trip with this deputy as he is a liability. I explained his abusive manner toward inmates and told him that if the inmates started beating him up, I would stand back and watch as he deserved it.

To make a long story short, he was reassigned and I got a better deputy to go with me. I told this bad deputy that I did not want him working with me due to his attitude toward inmates. You know what he told me when I asked him why he was that way to inmates? He said inmates were scum.

This will be my last post on your subject matter. I hope the media will start showing the good stuff we do, but it does not make news.

Glenn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Run in with the police last night... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL