The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Run in with the police last night... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Surgei
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Surgei
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 06:00, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 10:24, Beowulf wrote:
Back to the brick and concrete observation: got shut down once on the beach in Ocean City for passing torches. All sand and far from sunbathers. Folks were asking if they had time to go get video cameras to record us. Guess the guard figured we might make glass.

Everybody thinks they know what they're doing until someone gets burned. Whether you or a spectator, it doesn't matter. The cops job is to keep potential problems at bay.
Nope. It is to restore order within the law.
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Surgei, getting away from the apparently very serious argument about whether police are scum or not, how do you personally deal with it when told by police to move or end your performance?
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 16:47, Surgei wrote:
Glenn,
Are you familiar with Color of Law crimes. Just because a council passes and ordinance does not mean you must enforce it. Busker laws often violate federal statutes and you as the officer face the prison time not the council. When it comes to activities in the public forum, the best policy is to make sure no other laws are being broken and avoid the busker laws all together. There is not a judge in the country that would allow a jurisdiction to dismiss you for not enforcing an illicit ordinance. Pushing people around on the streets and sidewalks puts you in the category of scum, no matter what "job" you are doing.

Yes. I have been asked at times to act "under color of law" by people, my own family included, to which I told them all I would not do. I am not familar with federal laws that buskers laws would violate. Could you explain further on this?

Regarding cops who overstep their bounds, as mentioned before, if they are in violation of Constitutional Deprevatation, they can be held accountable (civil rights violations). Again, unless someone is a danger to themselves or others, leave them alone and let them entertain the people. Buskers, check with local authorities and explain what you do so they understand. In some cases, this is all you need to do to keep them off your butt.

Glenn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 16:37, Chance wrote:
Yes, in Europe things are VERY different.

I've heard in England they're very hard on buskers. It was on another thread here.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 20:12, Police Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 16:47, Surgei wrote:
Glenn,
Are you familiar with Color of Law crimes. Just because a council passes and ordinance does not mean you must enforce it. Busker laws often violate federal statutes and you as the officer face the prison time not the council. When it comes to activities in the public forum, the best policy is to make sure no other laws are being broken and avoid the busker laws all together. There is not a judge in the country that would allow a jurisdiction to dismiss you for not enforcing an illicit ordinance. Pushing people around on the streets and sidewalks puts you in the category of scum, no matter what "job" you are doing.

Yes. I have been asked at times to act "under color of law" by people, my own family included, to which I told them all I would not do. I am not familar with federal laws that buskers laws would violate. Could you explain further on this?

Regarding cops who overstep their bounds, as mentioned before, if they are in violation of Constitutional Deprevatation, they can be held accountable (civil rights violations). Again, unless someone is a danger to themselves or others, leave them alone and let them entertain the people. Buskers, check with local authorities and explain what you do so they understand. In some cases, this is all you need to do to keep them off your butt.

Glenn

Yes, I mentioned once that I'd been stopped five times and asked to move on three. One of those was (in my opinion) legitimate as I agreed to have a license and in that case had left it home. The other two were not. One was a lt. who decided he didn't want a "circus" on "his" street. The third was a patrolman who refused to accept that the Council had told me the license didn't need renewal. He insisted that it needed to be renewed every year. (I have since had a new license typed up with "does not need renewal" printed on it.) Complaining to City Hall, I was told the lt. had received a number of complaints and had been transferred. The patrolman would be "spoken to" and his lt. would be addressed as well.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Wow. This thread was a heavy read.

Regarding Eric: If there's a performer geeking with fire, I think it's a safe bet that he / she knows more about fire than I do and is aware of what theyre doing. If there are no burn-scars on them, then theyre obviously good enough at what they do.

Regarding the whole police thingy: A cop's knowledge of the law is usually minimal at best. If dragged into court, all a cop's power vanishes when faced with a lawyer. When cops arrest you, theyre basicly playing the odds that you either cant or wont consult a good attorney.

************(bear in mind, I mean arrested for some civil infraction or perceived slight such as in Eric's case. If the cop arrests you during an act of assault / murder / arson, etc., that's different)*****************************************************************************************

The flip-side to the whole police-power equation, in addition to the courts, is the 2nd ammendment. The right to bear arms was designed as a militia-raising measure, but today it also serves as a sort of unwritten agreement of trust between the citizens and the agents of the state. If things ever did get really bad enough, the public have a means of fighting back. Which of course would result in widespread destruction death and chaos, so let's hope it never DOES get that bad!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
The only kind of harrassment that I have been recieving from the police department lately,
is a request for a performance at an upcoming fundraiser.

Have a great a "fin de semana"(weekend)!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 12:29, Chance wrote:

The pity is that you're getting miffed at me, when you should be geting miffed at the governmental intrusion we are discussing. I'm not the one keeping you down, I'm the guy trying to set you free. But you're so comfortable in your chains that you simply don't know any better. That's the real crime here, and it galls me to no end.

This goes for many sheeple here at the Café...
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
The Mighty Fool: I've always thought that if a fire-performer has scars on them it means they are an experienced one because it shows that they have been at it long enough to get burned but still kept practicing. (Rather than getting burned and quitting.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Run in with the police last night... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL