The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Gecko/The Invisible Hand/The Vanishing for Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I am still waiting for Tommy Wonder's ingenious hold-out lock to be marketed. It is fully described in his magisterial book, but making one seems a bit beyond my current metalworking skill set.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Mac,

Keith Stickley makes a lock. He occassionally has them for sale. I have one and can recommend it. Woland, it's a Wonder-style lock. F/K design . . . way better BTW.

http://www.keithmagic.com/

I'm no engineer, nor a deep thinker. I focus more on rehearsal than some. For me, that is what makes the difference. ALL of the real work on the Hold-Out has been done by F & K here, in this country. Antonio and Michel have lots and lots of work as well. I prefer the F/K approach but still think Michel is to be lauded for releasing at an everyman cost, his work.

I should be moving to Florida by the time you move to California.

It took me nearly three years to come up with the C&B routine and another two months to document it. The three ball routine moves are nothing more than a subset of the cups stuff. Chop cup/one cup routine of mine is again a distillation of the moves from Fun Shop.

Coin and card stuff I do with the hold-out . . . shhhh . . . gotta see that stuff live.

No book from me. Too much magic to do and discover. Thanks for the compliments. Most think I'm a whack-job for my approach.

KG
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Your Chop Cup doesn't appear to be on youtube. I don't actually do the cups but your posts on the subject have got me thinking. Sometimes jumping outside the box is the only way to move forward.

Would you say a lock is vital to using a holdout, in either close-up or parlor?

If you can elaborate, why is it the FK is better than Wonder's?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Mac,

The lock is not necessary if you can remove a long portion of the business end of the HO quickly and while getting your next prop. If you don't have the F/K, you're probably out of luck here.

The F/K lock is simply a much better and more reliable design. Works every time. Plus I have an F/K set and don't own any original Tommy Wonder stuff. I have two models built from the admittedly simplistic pictures in the Books of Wonder. I suspect the one Tommy Wonder made worked great. The two models I have did not work reliably enough.

I'll post the Chop Cup routine soon. It's pretty short.

KG
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
The lock is not necessary if you can remove a long portion of the business end of the HO quickly and while getting your next prop. If you don't have the F/K, you're probably out of luck here.

that's a big if.

Quote:
I'll post the Chop Cup routine soon. It's pretty short.

As well it should be!

It would seem as though if its not an FK holdout its not entirely practical.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 19:29, Mac_Stone wrote:

It would seem as though if its not an FK holdout its not entirely practical.

Well, yes...and no.

Over the years I've used a homemade gravity holdout, Antonio Romero's intriguing holdout, and the Vernet holdout, all with and without the Stickley/Wonder holdout lock. Each did the job, each had plusses and each had minuses. (The Stickley/Wonder lock resolved some--but not all--of the minuses.)

I now use the F/K holdout, and while it has solved a myriad of problems, it's not entirely perfect. Heck, what is? But thus far I've neither found nor devised anything better. But who knows what the future may bring? ;-)

As an aside, Kent's POV regarding the holdout itself being only half the "bargain" of the F/K system is spot on--the instructional DVDs are an integral part of the system as well. Without them it would be like owning an iPhone but only having an owner's manual for a pager to guide you. I've study the Ed Mishell book and Michel's "Invisible Hand" DVDs--which are excellent, BTW--but the F/K DVDs are a PhD program in holdout-ology.

Finally, for purposes of full disclosure, I've not used any of these holdouts in connection with a C&B routine or any related cousins (chop cup, etc.). But I am presently experimenting with my F/K holdout to see if I can come up with a better solution to a magically weak moment in my "Magic Idol" hybrid Benson bowl/bill in lemon routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Gecko/The Invisible Hand/The Vanishing for Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL