The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just curious... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How many people think this is reasonable, as laws go?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20......ir=World
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Given the serious problems of bulimia and anorexia in the modeling industry and attendant deaths in recent years, I think the law is reasonable. On the surface, it could be argued that a law forbidding the employment of underweight models is discriminatory. But, the way I see it, the law will have the effect of preventing the industry from forcing models to lose unnatural amounts of weight in order to stay employed.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
If it's so fraught with peril why not just ban modeling all together?

Meanwhile, the cigarette and alcohol industries are going great guns.

And speaking of guns...

Yeah, with all the truly reckless danger in the world, by all means let's start picking on the skinny girls first.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
How are they going great guns??
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Lobo, I think this law, and many like it, is based on the erroneous assumption that widespread ideas and beliefs of the Volk are imposed from above by the evil corporations who fool people into believing them with massive expenditures of advertising money.

In reality, most advertisers spend fortunes trying to keep up with the Volk and work desperately to tie their products into the memes that the Volk have already adopted.

I sense in a vague, inchoate way, that the fondness for skinny girls is related to an increase in human neoteny . . . and goes along with the juvenilization of so much of our declining culture.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 03:16, Chance wrote:
. . . with all the truly reckless danger in the world, by all means let's start picking on the skinny girls first.

Out of curiosity, when you get a speeding ticket, do you argue with the cop that he should be out catching bank robbers or murderers?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:

Yeah, with all the truly reckless danger in the world, by all means let's start picking on the skinny girls first.

I think that is a total misreading of the intent of the law. It's not intended to pick on "skinny girls," but to prevent those of normal weight to be forced to purge themselves, etc. in order to meet the unrealistic and dangerous demands of the modeling industry.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 11:06, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
. . . with all the truly reckless danger in the world, by all means let's start picking on the skinny girls first.

Out of curiosity, when you get a speeding ticket, do you argue with the cop that he should be out catching bank robbers or murderers?

Didn't you mean 'bank robbers or murderers or insolent magicians who disagree with the wise one'?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
You're absolutely right, Bob. But I think the perception that anorexia & bulimia are caused by imagery in advertising is mistaken. I think that the advertising is following the public.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 11:10, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

I think that is a total misreading of the intent of the law. It's not intended to pick on "skinny girls," but to prevent those of normal weight to be forced to purge themselves, etc. in order to meet the unrealistic and dangerous demands of the modeling industry.

Assumes facts not in evidence: he may not have read the law at all ("mis" or not).
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 11:12, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 11:06, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Didn't you mean 'bank robbers or murderers or insolent magicians who disagree with the wise one'?

You're correct, of course, but I wasn't offering my list as exhaustive, merely exemplary.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2610 Posts

Profile of critter
Just curios:
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
And speaking of guns...

As usual too clever by half. Here are some statistics or FACTS. Go ahead keep telling me about guns.

*Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.

* A study by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders reported that 5 – 10% of anorexics die within 10 years after contracting the disease; 18-20% of anorexics will be dead after 20 years and only 30 – 40% ever fully recover.

* The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate of ALL causes of death for females 15 – 24 years old.

* 20% of people suffering from anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder, including suicide and heart problems.

Direct from this link. http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/anorexia/statistics.htm

Might not be about "picking on the skinny girls" but rather finding a way to help some people who might need help, but don't have a way to figure that out.

By all means continue to spew what you think is valid information though. Don't let facts stop you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Fine. Then why not include male jockeys while we're at it?

And then let's start with sumo's for being so fat.

I thought you conservative types were against "big government". How do laws such as this square with that? Here I am, a very liberal person according to you guys, speaking against the law while all the rest of you are for it. Interesting.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, Chance, because it is imposing a conservative, right-wing government's will on a female's body of course. I thought that was obvious.

:) Smile Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

How many people think this is reasonable, as laws go?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20......ir=World

"New Israeli Law Bans Underweight Models In Ads, Undisclosed Airbrushing"

Oh, and there someone goes with the Israel bashing again. Smile

[That's a joke.]

:)

Seriously, I believe there are laws protecting employees in other industries, so I think it is just a matter of quibbling over details. E.g., I think some employees in some industries need to be regularly tested for health related reasons. Is this the best possible implementation of the law? Maybe not (for reasons mentioned in the article). But likely better than nothing.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 12:48, Chance wrote:
Here I am . . . speaking against the law . . . .

In fact, you never spoke against the law.

All you did was try to extrapolate it, first to silliness, then to areas unrelated to the topic at hand.

If you're against the law, try writing something along these lines: I'm against the law.

(Unless, of course, you intended your sentence saying that you were speaking against the law to be self-referential, not unlike: "Hello. This is Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau spicking on the pheune.")
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
So you thought I was in support of the law based on my previous comments, is that it?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-03-21 13:42, Chance wrote:
So you thought I was in support of the law based on my previous comments, is that it?

No, I thought that because you have gotten into such heated arguments with the likes of LobowolfXXX about him not stating his positions clearly, you might take the opportunity to state yours clearly, if only to show him up.

If you insist on leaving it up to the rest of us to infer your position from oblique comments, at least do us the courtesy of keeping quiet when we infer something you didn't intend.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Seems a good a law to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just curious... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL