The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Best table for traveling? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
In your opinion, what is the best type of table for traveling. I will use the table fto hold props and also for spectators to sit at to cut cards etc on stage. Mainly parlour and small stage magic. I want something that is lightweight, portable, and can travel well.

Thanks for your input!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I can not imagine the type or table you are looking for, as you describe your idea. Most stand-up/stage/parlour tables are not something you can sit at as they are usually 42" tall when open.

For close-up I have never seen a close-up table to carry props in and for people to sit at around the table. All the close-up performers I have seen use a box or case that fits their act and is usually on the floor or a stand beside them below table height.

The only performing I know that present close-up magic in a theater setting currently is Paul Gertner.
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I am looking at something along the lines of a spider table, which may be the best bet. I may have been misleading in the description. I will not be performing close up, per say, more like parlour style magic. I have a routine that using a jumbo deck of cards and requires a spectator to cut the pack a few times. I envision having them sit in a chair, but they could be standing as well.

So, basically a table that is portable is what I need. I have looked at the spider tables, and the height and specs are pretty good. I was hoping to get other leads of popular tables for stand up or stage and compare and contrast with the spider table.

Hopefully this makes more sense.
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
So no one else uses tables?
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I use a Harbin style table that I made myself, they aren't terribly difficult to construct. It folds flat, is stable and sets up/knocks down in under 50 seconds. My design is unique in that I added a base for stability and use two bungee cords for tensioning.

It's my main busking and performance/stage table and is steady as a rock.

I have two smaller side tables constructed on the same principle that I use for props, ect.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, a table is a very personal choice. A lot of guys use the Suit Case type table as it stores your props and looks good on stage. The famous Harry Anderson used an old carpetbagger suitcase from the old days and put it on a chair.

You can check out the Joe Lefler suitcase table and Viking Magic version of this table as well. They are expensive, but will serve you for over 20 years if cared for properly. Lefler makes a small and a regular size, but a small cube as well that attaches to a tripod stand.

It all depends on your materials you will be using, size and shape. You want to be able to pick up and return props and materials very easily so there is no lull in the show.

I recently switched from a Suit case type table to a Pilots Case. The case will simply be setting on a chair. Some people use suit cases, other use foot locker type trunks. For volunteers (?) during a show, they usually stand for better visibility or have them set on a chair, but not in front of a table.

Some people use a box table setting on a tripod stand. The box is usually 20x20x whatever height you need to easily reach inside. Then cover it with some nice looking material.

Abbott's Magic sell a Nite Club table and a suit case table as well.

All will have some drawbacks, if you can only put part of your act in, or put everything but one trick you have to carry separately.
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Instand
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
I use a Joe leflar suitcase table. I love it. I can fit my entire show in it and it looks very professional. It's saved me trips many times and the fact that you can lock it comes in handy more than you would think if you do kids magic.
Flip Disc
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Flip Disc
I carry a variety of tables. If you don't see what you need I do custom designs and orders.
http://flipdisc.com/mp.htm
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
In my opinion the problem with the Joe Lefler table is, that you have to bend in order to take the props from the down part. this may not suit every style of performing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 15:43, milesart wrote:
In my opinion the problem with the Joe Lefler table is, that you have to bend in order to take the props from the down part. this may not suit every style of performing.

I know people just hate to exercise!
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 15:21, Flip Disc wrote:
I carry a variety of tables. If you don't see what you need I do custom designs and orders.
http://flipdisc.com/mp.htm

I have one of Doug's tables on order and will be picking it up Tuesday when I am in the Pittsburgh area. Can't wait it looks awesome and his customer service on the phone was fantastic! Smile

I like others on here, own several tables including Spider , Joe Lefler and Instand, but we use them at different times for different things. I am thinking though, that this new one I have on order from Doug will be the final answer to most of my table needs. If so, I will have a big table sale! Smile

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Considering what requirements were outlined, for those situations I use a barstool. It's cheap, some are tall and can be folded. I've found them to be quite steady and durable. Best of all, they sets up quickly.
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 18:09, Kyle Elder wrote:
I use a Joe leflar suitcase table. I love it. I can fit my entire show in it and it looks very professional. It's saved me trips many times and the fact that you can lock it comes in handy more than you would think if you do kids magic.

What I don't like about this table is, that you have to bend sometimes to grab items from the bottom. It may look unprofessional for some styles. How do you handle that?
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
What you are looking for is an In-Stand Table. It will be perfect for your needs and it breaks down so it will fit inside of a briefcase.

Here is a direct link: http://www.instand.com/CR3/cr3.shtml

What you need is the InStand CR3 and the price is $ 119.95 plus shipping.

I hope this is what you need. I personally own 3 of them and they are the best.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
The In-Stand Table is fine. But where do you store your items? It would be good, to have everything in one table complete.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Check out percussion tables. Drummers use them to hold their various instruments. Do a Goole search on "Percussion Table".

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Ok, I'll admit I'm a table fanatic. I have several types of tables from the Joe Lefler table, a Dancing Springs table, an Anvil briefcase with a tray jack, an open top manipulation table, etc. In my case, it depends on what kind of venue I'm performing in, audience, access to the venue, routine; just to name a few variables. I don't think there is one table that fits all magicians.

In your case you could use a Dancing Springs / Fairchild magic roll on table for what you have described. Easy to roll on and off, nice looking and very sturdy. http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_007.htm
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
@milesart, the table that that magiclimber wants does not exist. I personally think the Lefler, Fairchild, and Flip Disc tables are not very good at all. Yes, they are all made very well but they all have the same common denominator they are all very heavy and way to hard to travel with on an airplane or in your car. Everybody praises the Lefler table and I just do not like when people say that. The magicians that I see use a Lefler or a Flip Disc Table have the same thing in common they all have to duck down out of the audiences view to get a prop. As for the Fairchild Table that is an open top table but not enough room to store what you need to fly with. It is also very heavy and you cannot store your props inside because that is where you store the legs, etc. In 28 years no one has come out with the perfect lightweight table and no one will because it cannot be done and keep the quality high without adding the weight.

And since we do not know what props magiclimber has we cannot even begin to send him in the right direction.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Hey Darkwing,
Can you please check and verify your PM box?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Best table for traveling? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL