The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Baby just hatched. Now what do I do. Boil water? Tear sheets? HELP
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Nature will take its course, just sit back and watch.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks. Didn't know if I should get the male out of the cage
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No No No. The male shares in the feeding and caring. A single female will be very stress. It's like humans, a single parent care do the job but it's so much easier with both parents.

Once the baby has grown, keep an eye on it. If it's a male, even though it's a father and son, the male dad will start fights with it.
Where the magic begins
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks Dave. If they fight do I do separate cages?
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
If they fight, you take the young male out and put him in his own cage. However, that should not happen until the youngster is old enough to be on his own anyway.

Where did the baby hatch? Often, the doves will lay in their feed bowls. If this happens, move the egg (or baby) to another bowl that has a bit of straw or nesting material in it. If the youngster is left in the feed bowl, they run a very high risk of developing splay leg and if that happens, the dove should probably be euthanized.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
It's in an empty bowl. How will mother respond if I move baby?
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Mother and father wont mins at all. put straw or other nesting material in the new bowl, They will fix it up aroung the new guy. The splay legs Our friend Dave talks about is where the babies legs just spread out to left and right due to not having anything under him to grip on during growth, The nesting will help to keep their legs hels under him, wish you the best on your new adventure. If it is their first, it may not make it, but then again, the chances are more than likely he will. If anything does happen, it will not be your fault, just mother nature taking her course. But I am betting all will be well, I am sure Dave will be checking in, he loves the doves and will be a great help with anything you may need to know.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks for the advice. Went and got some nesting material and they immediately started to make a nest.
Magic_engineer
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
66 Posts

Profile of Magic_engineer
IDOTRX, If you have kids, this is a great learning experience. Take some pictures, in case kids are in your future.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Idotrx, just out of curiosity, why was there an empty bowl in the cage? Now that you know your birds are fertile and can have healthy babies, might want to get what is called a coup cup from the pet store. It's an aluminum dish about the diameter of a saucer and about 4 or 5 inches deep. It hangs on the bars of the cage. In a few weeks, keep any eye on the parents. when they are ready to mate again, you'll see them "kissing". That's the closest I can think of to describe what they do. If you're lucky, you'll see the male get on the females back, possibly peck at the back of her neck and then flaps it's wings for a few seconds. That's all it takes and they'll be a new baby on the way.

If you see that behaviour, hang the coop cup in the cage with some nesting material (don't use newspaper). They'll naturally settle into it and in about 21 days, you should have a gift. By the way, doves lays eggs in pairs, sometimes a day apart so you should be seeing a new egg by now bu since this is their first egg, don't be concerned if there is only one egg. In the future you should start seeing two at a time.

In about 6 weeks or so, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference between the baby and the parent.
Where the magic begins
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Thanks Dave. They laid several eggs and never had any babies, so I thought two girls. Well surprise! We do have two babies both eggs hatched. They seemed to be doing well. When are they ready to be handled? Thanks, mike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, there are different thoughts about when it is safe to handle the babies. Some start gently stroking the baby as soon as it's alone in the nest. Other wait until it taking care of itself. I don't know if there is a right or wrong time, but no matter when, you have to be gentle. I usually waited several weeks before handling mine. They are cute once they start growing but there's really no rush.

So now you have 4 birds in one cage. Make sure it's large enough and keep an eye on how they treat each other. Once the babies are fully on their own, which means they eat by themselves and the parents don't help out any longer, you may want to move them to their own cage.
Where the magic begins
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Got it. Thanks again Dave.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Idotrix, Handling of the kids, ..... We handle them all thru the stages of growth, We have great parents that don't mind sharing the young with us. Once we see the parents do the feeding, then we start to get close. but we don't over handle, basically just a quick pick up, and cradled in the hands just to check on them for the splayed legs.. etc.

Sometimes we have the parents that are just plain protective and peck at us when we get near, but even them... we pet a stroke or 2 on the back of their neck, Then once we see the young at the bottom of cage and eating or attempting to eat by mocking the parents, we start to work on Handling them a bit more.

Always be on the look out for Daves comments, he has lots to offer.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Two babies looking healthy so far. They made a nice nest overnight. Mom jumped off to give me a peek today. I can't believe how big already.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Smile
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Haven't seen the babies in a few days. I'm in Branson, will give update and pictures when I get back.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
579 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 20:28, IDOTRIX wrote:
Baby just hatched. Now what do I do. Boil water? Tear sheets? HELP

Think of a name.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I can't believe how big these guys get so quickly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Baby (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL